Minor/Repaint: Custom Battle Blades Optimus Prime (1st Custom!) (Incomplete/Ongoing)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by prathamesh, Sep 9, 2017.

1. prathamesh

prathamesh Member

So been a member of the forum for a quite amount of time and posting for the first time with my first custom painted Battle Blade Optimus Prime from the 2010 HFTD line.

Mostly covered the copper colored plastic in silver paint and some splashes of red and blue highlights for movie accuracy.

This is just painted for now (with requirement of some cleanup at some spots) and I still have to coat the whole paint in some protective spray coat but I have my doubts regarding it as follows:
    1. Does the paint stay intact while spray coating?
    2. How to avoid the joints while spray coating ?

Also can anyone suggest on how to apply flame details on this figure ? I am not that good with the paint brush :( 

Open to suggestions and advice for the post and the doubts above and highly thankful for the same. :)  :) 

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  2. THEdeathsHEAD

THEdeathsHEAD All are dead, yes?

Well depending on the paint used (acrylic/ enamel/ hobby, etc.), You could let it cure and the chances of it scratching are slim. I hear the best thing to do when clearcoat/spray coating is to disassemble everything and sand the joints down slightly and when you put it back together it'll be just as reliable as before. Look through this thread: Table of Contents under Introductory Part 3 - Paints. There's a spray paint thread in there that might help. As far as flames go, there might be decals on the web that would work.

Good looking 1st so far though!:thumb  I tried painting this one when it came out and ended up ruining the figure (had to get another). Used thick coats of acrylic(bad idea) and it rubbed like crazy :lol .

• Like Like x 1
  3. prathamesh

prathamesh Member

Thanks for the response and suggestions. Highly appreciated! :)  :)  :) 

Disassembling the figure is just tough because of most of the toy being put together using pins and flat headed pins and I don't want to ruin with the solder technique. Especially at the joints....those seem like a nightmare. But maybe I will try that and update...and again Thanks a lot! :bowdown: 

• Like Like x 1
  4. Lukelbs

Lukelbs Well-Known Member

I just use clear coat for a protective sealant over acrylic paints. I usually just spray the whole figure and haven't had any issues on any of my customs.

• Like Like x 1