Minor/Repaint: Custom Barricade RC CAR with working Light Bar

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by TheQuestion, Oct 6, 2007.

1. TheQuestion

TheQuestion New Member

Hey all, I made this a month or two ago, but never showed it off here. I figured you guys would enjoy it!

I wanted to do something different than just repaint the movie figures, and at the same time a couple of us at work decided to get some RC Cars to race around the office at lunch. So, I found this 1/16 scale Mustang GT at ToysRus for $20 and decided a project would be launched!

It has fully working police lights which I accomplished by using a variation of the LED light setup that Jin Saotome found. I used 3 of them to make the working light bar for this car. I picked up the Pushbar and Light Bar on Brown's Ebay Store, which is from a Die-Cast Police car approximately the same scale.

So while my camera is crap, you can at least get a decent look at it. The Headlights work out of the box, and again, I added the custom working lightbar. I put my Movie deluxe next to it so you can judge the scale. The RC Car is about 13" long.

All the decals are completely custom-made using reference photos and are photo-realistic.

And the best part is, it's a quick little thing! It's really a lot of fun racing it around, lights ablaze!

Naturally, comments are welcome!

Here's the car I started with:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit Decepticon

Oh man that looks fantastic dude, great job! look at those rims...and that hood....hot.

3. TTT

TTT OutOfCommissionToys.com

News Credits:
    That'd be AWESOME to rip around a parking lot at night with the roof lights blazing away ! ! !
    R/C cars (& trucks) are one of my favorite hobbys - I'm impressed !.....:rock 

4. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Cool stuff indeed! What's even cooler is that you're having so much fun with it! W00t! :D 

5. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Too cool....very nice job indeed :thumb 

6. timshinn73

timshinn73 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Excellent work. Nice clean paintjob. Great looking decals. Working lightbar...

What's not to like? Good stuff.

7. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

Looks absolutely terrific.

Only criticisms I can make: the ram bar (I don't know what to call it - the giant piece of metal on the front bumper) doesn't seem big enough, the "police" decal on the wing is the wrong way, and I imagine that it would be more accurate if the Mustang symbols were removed. But I understand that might be a matter of preference.

I'd love to see some video of Barricade zipping around and enslaving your coworkers. :) 

8. Waveride

Waveride Creative Team

News Credits:
    Great job, the details are so accurate! Only thing i might suggest is one of the taillight bard is painted black on the movie car, where normal mustangs have the three red light bard in the back.

9. TheQuestion

TheQuestion New Member

Totally agree with most of your critiques...a funny story though - When working on it, I had to take the spoiler off for the painting process....well, when I applied the POLICE decals on the spoiler, I mixed up the orientation and didn't realize I put it on upside-down until it was dried, painted, and clear coated. Very few people notice (which is why I didn't say anything) so kudos for catching that! :) 

I started to remove the Mustang logo on the front, but it is actually molded, not just a sticker/decal. Since I was actually going to use it and intentionally crash into things (the pushbar works great!) I didn't want to custom-sculpt anything on the front which would likely break off easily.

If we wanted to get really technical - the body style isn't exactly correct either - but no one makes a R/C Saleen S281. :D 

10. Hicks_Royel

Hicks_Royel Chicks dig the Mutt!

News Credits:
    Very cool, course, now you gotta make a Camaro to recreate the chase scene.

11. starscream.pt

starscream.pt Well-Known Member

wow, you're talented! A+

12. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I'd love to see this compared to the X-mods RC Barricade.

13. TheQuestion

TheQuestion New Member

Just some comparisons (and cause I'm proud of it) :D 

The X-Mods is 1:28 scale (about 6.5 inches long) and my car is a 1:16 scale (about 13 inches long) so it's twice as big.

My paint job is better (the Xmod is just molded plastic like the toy) - mine is glossy black with several layers of triple-thick clearcoat gloss. (For that extra shine!) I wish my camera didn't suck so much, you'd really be able to see the quality of the paint job!

The engine in this thing is surprisingly fast - I can do 180's on a dime, then take off full speed. It can run circles around the Xmod version - and run over it too. :) 

One visual thing that I prefer - my antenna is internal unlike the xmod one.

Best part - mine was $19.99 out of the box (with working headlights) and the Xmod one is $49.99 :eek: 

Thanks for all the comments, keep them coming!