Minor/Repaint: Custom Alternator's Prowl, interceptor

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Pun-3X, Nov 21, 2005.

1. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

Well, I didn't really care for the Acura toy specifically as Prowl. (Though that has some potential with some other characters) And the more I thought on it, the more I liked the idea of Prowl being a Mustang police interceptor.

So after finally finding a Wheeljack, I set to work.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Took the Prowl head off the actual Prowl that I'd bought (with the two right arms). I'd decided early on that the color of the helmet was an off-white that needed to blend better with the body.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also decided I wanted to use those empty light sockets that were capped for the Wheeljack model. Someone suggested putting police lights in them. Found some colored 'jewel' caps for decorating, and they were just the right size.

The last steps at this point are the arrival of a lightbar I won on ebay, the BT-Prowl sticker conversion kit I ordered from Reprolabels.com, and a ramming bar for the front if I can find one. Otherwise, I'm thinking this guy is turning out quite nicely.

2. Soundwarp

Soundwarp Next victim please TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nice!
    Police will look sweet!

3. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Looks cool!:thumb 

4. JetBrawn

JetBrawn Intergalactic SUV

neat

5. Darkprime

Darkprime Antigrav Singular Destron

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Now you need to add a siren. Prowl looks pretty good beefed up like that.

6. Xaxis

Xaxis Well-Known Member

Wow! That's really awesome! I hadn't thought of Prowl as the Mustang, but it works so well! Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

7. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    That's a really neat look. I can't wait to see him with decals the lightbar and such.

8. Eradicator

Eradicator I am Antithesis

That does look good.

9. ikado

ikado Cuttlebot

Ebay:
    How'd you get rid of the stripes? Did you just repaint the whole thing white? Also, Wheeljack has lights underneath those plastic tabs?! I didn't know that!

10. Baby Bumblebee

Baby Bumblebee Well-Known Member

a mustang interceptor is freaking sweet

11. doomtron

doomtron seeker

News Credits:
    sweet

12. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

First, there aren't any lights under those tabs, sorry. I bought a bag of half-rounded jewel-bead things that you glue on clothes. (like rhinestones) They came in multicolor packs, and these were sized just right. The reds are natural, but the blue ones were a bright turqoise. I just coated it in some transparent blue paint that I have.

As for the stripes, someone recommended BRASSO, a brass-cleaning agent. Comes in a tin flask-like can, and it strips about anything. I found it at my Walmart in the grocer's cleaning section (and in addition, you should be able to find it in a regular grocery store as well).

You do have to be careful, though, as it can strip fully-painted surfaces too (such as Wheeljack's roof). The Brasso took a tiny bit of the roof paint, but it's still white on top (just looks like a paint-dent, and that's where I'll be putting the light-bar anyway.)

You can also use rubbing alcohol. That tends to work decently as well, though the Brasso does a great job.

13. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

Now this is AWESOME!!!! Looks much better than the original acura Prowl. And he is definitely going to be bad ass, when you finish him. I can't wait to see him then.

14. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

Update: Got my lightbar in. I'm waiting for my reprolabels at this point. If I can ever find a ramming bar, it'll be complete.

[​IMG]

Most of this is the same as the latest pic in the first post. Now, I went and did some touch-up work on the red crotchplate. I won't be painting it entirely black, but I don't know how this works. Looks okay to me, but I don't mind any feedback.

And, some car pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The lightbar was a perfect fit. It didn't have the caution lightsrip on the back, but there is a blank place for a possible stick or something if I can find anything. I'm real happy how the headlights came out as well.

15. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

did you paint the waist and feet yourself? Looks good if so because i swore Wheeljack had blue, not red.

16. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

Nah, I cheated. Those are Grimlock parts. (The Grimlock Alt I gave to my brother) I asked him if I could swap out and give him the blue parts that came with Wheeljack, and he was cool with it.

I might end up painting the seats in black afterall. Still out on that one.

17. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

Copied from Transtopia:

Reprolabels sent in my order. Besides some other Alts getting their sticker kits done (plus some license plates) I got to work on Prowl.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now, my only real issue is that the hood looks kinda boring. I'm debating placing an Autobot insignia in the black area, but I've always had an issue with the TF insignias showing in alt mode. What's the point of Robots in Disguise if you're going to show your faction symbols?

Then again, he's got PROWL written on his ass anyway. :lol :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Robot mode is another issue. The 'arm stickers' that are designed for the Acura's arms (which are made up like the original G1 Prowl's) done't work with the Grim/Jack arms at all. And extra Autobot stickers are unecessary with the Autobot symbols already on the shoulders. I DO have a Japanese G1 Prowl reissue still sealed with its own set of stickers, and the shoulder/arm stickers from that kit are tiny enough to do something with. But I'm not really sure.

[​IMG]

Oh, and I also fixed the black paint around the inside of the knees. It looks much cleaner this way, and better than I thought it would.

That one 'police' sticker on the bumper might go if I can find the ramming bar I need, but that isn't as easy as I thought. (At least not without getting a whole thing of something I don't want) Otherwise, this guy is about done.

18. MECHADOOM

MECHADOOM I'm Doombot and I know it

Hey, this looks awesome! Kudos.
    One suggestion I have about the raming bars: you could try to configure it so that they are held in the car mode by his hands, and then the bars could transform into some sort of weapon(battering ram?) for bot mode.

19. Neomarsala

Neomarsala Transform and Roll Out

Wow, why didn't Hasbro just do that in the first place. It would have made a lot more sense than Wheeljack.

20. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Looks fantastic, dude. I think that's a great look for Prowl.