Customs: Custom Alternators Nightbeat?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Ratchet25, Dec 2, 2007.

1. Ratchet25

Ratchet25 Member

Hello all!

I'm hoping to gain some much needed knowledge from all you experienced kitbashers out there. Beware. I'm a kitbash n00b. :redface2: 

I'm trying to build a custom Nightbeat figure as a holiday gift and I'm having some difficulties finding a base figure to do it with. The few customs I've seen of him are from either Alternators Camshaft or Prowl. Does anyone have any suggestions? Is one more accurate than the other? Camshaft is proving to be nightmarishly hard to track down. I haven't even begun looking for a Prowl yet.

Then there's the problem with sculpting a proper head. Is there a suggested matierial to use? I'm excellent with Sculpey, but I doubt baking other bits of the figure would work so well (not to mention the smell it'd cause. o_O ).

So, would anyone be kind enough to point me in the right direction? It doesn't absolutely have to be from the Alternators line. That's just a preference. If another series just works better that's also an option.

Thanks guys!

2. SmokescreenSWE

SmokescreenSWE Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think blue Prowl is the best place to start. It's quite expensive though.

With some heavy rebuilding, the Rumble transformation would work very well for Nightbeat. In fact, I think the head would fit quite well too.

3. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Spencer at Ages Three and Up just posted a review for the K.O. BT Prowl (its plastic like an Alt though)....this may be a cheaper alternative to tracking down Cammy or Prowl

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=158520

He has them available in his store

4. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    don't use sculpy, use apoxie sculpt. no baking required.

5. Hicks_Royel

Hicks_Royel Chicks dig the Mutt!

News Credits:
    If you're looking for an appropriate head, your best best would be a repainted Sideswipe with a piece of plastic over the eyes. Alex Kingdom of Seibertron.com had a pretty sweet set-up, I don't have any idea of the link though.

6. Ratchet25

Ratchet25 Member

Apoxie sculpt. Excellent! I hadn't heard of it before, but it sounds perfect. Thank you!

7. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Why not try something totally different? The blue Prowl -> Nightbeat has been done quite a bit. You could always just get something that's readily available to you that you think suits NB, paint it blue, possibly use the reprolabels kit, and *presto-chango* you've got a new custom!

:) 

Either way, keep us posted!

8. Ratchet25

Ratchet25 Member

Actually, I was fully intent on painting over Camshaft until I realized Prowl was another option. Even then I was going to resculpt the head and possibly paint some other parts. I only just now learned Prowl came in blue. >_>;

In all honesty, I'm happy to customize it as much as necessary. I'm more concerned with finding an appropriate vehicle mode and a reasonable robot mode shape to work with. Is there another more readily available base that might work just as well for Nightbeat? The only thing I've been seeing on the shelves for the last seven months or so are movie figures. So I'm not sure what's around to work with. :-\

9. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

ooh ooh, I made one I made one!!! and, I made minerva, who shared the same mold in japan. here's the bot modes, and all I did was just get two loose sideswipes and used their heads:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and yes, those are both binaltech prowls.

10. Ratchet25

Ratchet25 Member

Those came out beautifully, ckhtiger! You know, there might be a loose Sideswipe running around my stash somewhere. His head, with an added sculpted visor, is pretty much perfect

11. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

thanks man! I had been wanting to do nightbeat, and got the idea right when he came out, but I wasn't the first to do him. however, I think that there's the only minerva out there ;) 

12. Hooper_X

Hooper_X hi haters

I dunno, I don't like the idea of using Blue Prowl just because he happens to be a police car - the chest doesn't look like Nightbeat's at all, nor does he have the prominent shoulder-pylon things the comic version had. I'd personally suggest the Dead End/Sunstreaker mold or the Decepticharge mold, as both of them have non-car-hood chests like Nightbeat. Decepticharge has "abs" that are more Nightbeat-ish, but is expensive. Sunstreaker, though, you can do the "doors raised above the shoulders" deal and make them look like the big flaming shoulders. I'd use a Sideswipe head, maybe with a visor cut from Tech Spec Decoder or some other thin plastic.

As you can see, this is one of the few Alt customs I really thought through - I just never got around to doing one.

-hx, save the Prowl mold for Siren.

13. Ratchet25

Ratchet25 Member

Is there anything perhaps from the Cybertron or even Armada line that might work for Nightbeat instead?

14. Ratchet25

Ratchet25 Member

You make a good point. I like the "abs" look of the Decepticharge mold a lot. But both him and Windcharger are going to be tricky to get ahold of. Windcharger might be the easiest, and since I'm swapping heads around it wouldn't make much of a difference.

Thanks for the input!

15. SmokescreenSWE

SmokescreenSWE Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Decepticharge looks nothing like Nightbeat. If the chest is important, Rumble is the way to go.

16. Superquad7

News Credits:
    I agree with you on the blue Prowl to an extent, but I (and many others obviously) think it makes a good choice (out of the available makes/models we were given) for Nightbeat. I'm not sure I'm with you on either the S2000 or the Viper though. The S2000 I can see a bit, but I can't see Nightbeat as a Viper.

Well, the title of this thread and the discussion therein warrants a stand-in for the Alternators/Binal Tech line. Not too many from either of those lines would fit within the 1:24 scale (even + or - some) well.

The Civic does make a good choice for him though, imo. Good call thumb

17. nightboomfer

nightboomfer SeƱor Member

There was Trenchcoated Thing in Toybiz's first FF Movie line which I think should be fairly easy to come by. That being said, I'm not sure how well his Trenchcoat/hat would fit on Nightbeat for that classic "Detective" look from the comics.
    Also, were you planning to make a Muzzle (perhaps reformatted as a Targetmaster?) I believe someone on this board had a custom based on a G1 Headmaster but with a Targetmaster partner instead.

18. Superquad7

News Credits:
    I'm not sure what other Alt/BT customs you might be thinking of using binary partners (if you can find em, I know I'd love to see em!), but I made my Alternators Ricochet a Targetmaster :) 

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Hooper_X

Hooper_X hi haters

The main thing I liked about the viper was that you could swing the doors up high over the shoulders to get his "big shoulder" look. As far as the actual car modes go, Nightbeat works for me mainly because his original toy was a get-out-of-town expensive sports car that wasn't even U.S. street legal. A Viper Competition Coupe seems like the closest fit to that out of the possibilities.

20. Ratchet25

Ratchet25 Member

It hadn't occured to me to make any kind of add-ons for the character like that. I'm making the figure as a gift. The person I'm making it for has been wanting a nice Nightbeat kitbash for ages, but lacks any kind of mechanical talent whatsoever. I'm not at all familiar with the character, though, other than some of the newer IDW spotlight art. Hence my asking around for help on the kitbash.

I don't have anything I could use to make a Muzzle, unfortunately. :-\