Repro/Sticker: Custom Alternator Heads

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Sculpt-bot, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Sculpt-bot

Sculpt-bot So waddya want, a medal?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I tried to post this in the Kitbashers forum but it won't allow me to attach pics...MODs if you feel you need to move it I think the guys there would find it interesting as well. (Thanks in advance!)
    Anyway..These are some custom Alternator heads I have been sculpting, that will be casted in the near future. I will post better pics soon (sick camera), but I wanted to see what you guys thought. Ironhide will be attached to either a Skids body, or the new Prime Ram when it comes out. Brawn is for a military Humvee that I am customizing into an Alternator (Brawn will finally have a huge gun!), and Soundwave is for a surprise project I have coming up. Brawn and Soundwave are both still in progress, but Ironhide is near complete. I was thinking of having a number of these casted if any of you would be interested in picking a few up. Let me know. I have a Bumblebee and Cliffjumper planned, but the next two I do are going to be Hook (to be mounted on a repainted Cybertron Mudflap) and a more toy/comic accurate version of Sideswipe to replace the "just okay" version that his Alternator incarnation currently has. I am open for suggestions as well....Megatron is an obvious one, but I don't see any appropriate "host bodies" out there that would work for him..Enjoy! (I hope)

Attached Files:

2. Lobo

Lobo Well-Known Member

Those look great!

Can't wait to see them all painted up. :thumbs2: 

Lobo

3. iDarkDesign

iDarkDesign Rodeo Lawyer

News Credits:
    Those look awesome! I've been looking for some custom character heads for the repaints like zoom-zoom and yello tracks. any ideas?

iDD

4. Lonewolf

Lonewolf Well-Known Member

nice work man

5. MECHADOOM

MECHADOOM I'm Doombot and I know it

They look awesome!!! But Ironhide's head looks like it's trying to escape in the second pic. :D 

6. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Everything is Awesome

News Credits:
    Damn, those are slick. Great work!

7. Thundercracker

Thundercracker Contemptuous

I wish I had skills like that...sent a PM concerning buying a set when you cast them..

8. Thundercracker

Thundercracker Contemptuous

edit* double post sorry...

9. Sculpt-bot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, those actually some that I had slated for the future. Zoom Zoom was going to get Cliffjumpers head, Yellow tracks was going to get Hubcap (based on the MTMTE artwork), or a Steeljaw head to counter the Ravage 'vette. I was also thinking of doing Freeway for the "Swerve" body so we could have another Throttlebot, but that may be a few too many corvettes. I am looking at all of the lines to get ideas that would fit in with the rest of the Alts, (the Mudflap to Hook conversion is an example,) so there are a ton of possibilities. The blue Acura is one that I think has some potential, as a great Decepticon character. Thanks for the interest guys, I will post better and more finished pics soon.

10. GALVATOM

GALVATOM Well-Known Member

Those are amazzzzzzing! You are very talented.

11. Acid Wing

Acid Wing Senior Alien TF Member

News Credits:
    Awesome. Looking forward to how these heads work on the various ideas mentioned.:D 

12. JunkionExchange

JunkionExchange Banned

Pmed yah about those they really look good

13. Sculpt-bot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hey all! Thanks for the interest...a couple of answers for some FAQs i have been getting. I haven't received a price quote on the castings yet, but will post here as soon as I know a price range. The castings will have a post hole that will be fitted for the standard sized Alt ball joint. Since the sculpts go all around to allow for full detail, some of the range of movement will be sacrificed. They should still be very poseable however. I plan on casting them from solid white resin so they will be very durable.
    I will keep you all posted....Thanks again.

14. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Yeah, those are absolutely awesome. PM'ing you as well.

15. Sculpt-bot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Alrighty guys, got a couple of quotes back, and this little project should be a "Go". The best molder/caster in the business came back with a very reasonable quote. It was a little more expensive than others, but his castings come out absolutely beautiful, (no bubbles, or seam lines) and he uses very sturdy high quality resin. So ultimately for me to make a little bank off of them we would be looking at a price of $8 per head or the set of 5 for $45. I plan on releasing them in sets of 5 as I go, and after seeing what this guy can cast I am also considering doing weapons that would coincide with the heads. (Sideswipes rifle from his G1 incarnation for example) I have never liked the small weapons on the Alts, and this way their engine guns could be considered sidearms. I was thinking of Hound's rifle, Mirage's Dart rifle, and probably some shoulder launchers for Prowl. I know there was somebody putting out similar things on E-bay, but I picked up a set, and the quality of the resin was lousy. It basically disintegrated once you put any pressure on it, and the mold lines really messed up the detail. I can guarantee you these castings will have none of those problems.
    The first set of 5 would likely consist of Soundwave, Ironhide, Brawn, Hook, and Sideswipe. I may take Brawn out and replace him with Cliffjumper only because the Brawn head is for a model that I am building that wouldn't be available to you guys commercially.
    So let me know if this is reasonable guys. The next thing is getting my wife to sign off on the idea..If I can show her enough of you are interested for me to make a litlle money doing it, it should be no sweat. Help me get the word out, and this should be a reality real soon. ( a couple of months is very doable.) Thanks again for the kind words !

16. Gen. Magnus

News Credits:
    The price seems reasonable to me. I'd consider picking up at least one set if I had use for them. I'd consider the Soundwave head and I have thought about BB/Cliffjumper alts.

I need a good Arcee head, personally.

17. Sculpt-bot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    that's interesting Gen. Magnus, I was considering having her in Series 2 (if Series 1 does well).
    Also an alert board member gave me a heads up on my bad math. It would actually be $40 for the set of 5. I wouldn't gouge you guys for an additional 5 bucks for getting the whole lot. But if I end up having one of the "weapons" cast with each set it may just be $45 for all the pieces then.

18. Gen. Magnus

News Credits:
    [Mr. Burns]...excelent...[/Mr. Burns] Well, you'd have a buyer right here.

19. Junior

Junior Wise Beyond My Years TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I would be interested in a high quality set at that price.

20. zuffyprime

zuffyprime It's not easy being green

would the ironhide head only fit an alternator, or would you be able to produce a smaller scale head that can be used for energon towline?
    thanks