Customs: Custom advice?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Rexidus, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I bought a Thundertank since they were cheap now, but I bought it with the sole intention of trying to turn it into a Transformer.

The thing is I've never tried this before. I know the Radicon Tutorials exist but I'm curious what people would say the best place to start is. Is there a particularly good tutorial I should go to first? Are there any major pieces of advice anyone has?

I think this tank looks awesome and want to turn it into an equally awesome Transformer... I'm just a little unsure how to...

2. kneero

kneero Well-Known Member

3. Wikkid

Wikkid Semi-retired customizer

What you're looking to do sounds like a re-shell but rather than using a styrene kit, you'll be working with a thick, quality plastic. It will be tougher to make your cuts but it should make for a solid custom once finished.

My advice is to find a donor Transformer that is roughly the same size as the Thundertank and work out how you want him to transform. (Legs form the front end of vehicle/legs form the rear end of vehicle)
    Even if you don't use the donor Transformers body parts, you will likely need his joints and a good plan.

4. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Thanks guys. Any good tutorials you guys can recommend?

5. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'd recommend going back over some of the Introductory tutorials, even despite the fact that you do have a few customs under your belt. I'd also highly recommend the section added that focuses on Wikkid's work. Also, some of the Beyond Basics and Scratchbuilding tutorials would be helpful.