Curse you 24 . . .

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by King Starscream, Jan 16, 2006.

1. King Starscream

King Starscream <b><font color=blue>The Royal Seeker</font></b> Veteran

News Credits:
    for getting me hooked. I watched the season priemere after the Carolina game last night. And after watching the second two hours of it, I'm now looking til next Monday to see the continuation. I never realized how awesome this show was since I usually regard Fox programing with much disdain.

2. Edge

Edge weapon of destruction

so far in 4 eps they have already topped the other seasons imo. And they also werent joking about the first 10 minutes thing. I was thinking it was just hype then one goes then a bit later another goes possably a third. and the president subplot is actually good for once. Can't wait till next monday

3. jet convoy

jet convoy Beast Wars Forever!!!

Damn it I've only seen like the first 4-5 episodes of Season 1 I believe. Gotta hunt down the DVDs. This show is badass.

4. Wing alpha

Wing alpha <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

It was todays?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

5. Streck

Streck <B><FONT COLOR="#FF0000">QED</B></FONT> Veteran

24 makes me wish I had a neuralizer. Imagine being able to clear your memory and enjoy it all over again.

6. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

I curse 24 because it made Family Guy and American Dad go away lastnight. And this night there was no Arrested Development tonight. :mad 

But Sunday's episodes were really good. Too bad I missed tonight. Now I cant enjoy the rest of the season. :mad 

7. thefrozenred

thefrozenred 4 8 15 16 23 42

Ebay:
    You all...liked the first episodes of season 5 THAT much...?

4 episodes into it, and I'm bored already. Granted, the first episode was spectacular, with Palmer and Michelle dying. Fucking "SURPRISE!" huh?

But everything else...it's becoming so damned formulaic again. Like in season 2, Jack is ousted but, oh look! It's all okay again a few hours later. Same as in season 3; "He's a heroin junkie? Well, he's OK with us again, woo!" The "unpredictable" twists are being telegraphed a mile away; "Flank 2 position," the first lady getting knocked out by that one guy, and yet ANOTHER terrorist attack involving WMDs. It's sort of funny, actually...season 2 had a nuclear threat, season 3 had an airborne poison (essentially) threat, season 4 had not one, but TWO nuclear threats, and now in season 5 we have ANOTHER airborne poison threat. I mean, fuck, writers. You can do better than yet ANOTHER WMD.

So here we go again, as Jack's going to be tied up at CTU's beuracracy for an hour again, then he'll be all badass, "You can't do this WITHOUT me and I'm doing it MY way" and be put in charge again, then he'll follow the clues and stop the WMD, then there'll be a torture scene, and then some wacky secondary threat, and then the ending which will most likely be truly unpredictable.

24 is a fun show. But is it a good show? Not anymore. Season 1 was *good,* the first half of season 2 was good, season 3 was great up until you realize that they're not going to replace Jack with Chase in ANY regard (and Jack's drug problem just vanishes), and season 4 was fun because of the gimmicks. But season 5...

The show isn't about a really cool cops vs. robbers story anymore. The show is about Keifer Sutherland's acting badass, and as much fun as that is, and as much as I will enjoy it for the next 20 episodes...the writing is going to have to venture into unknown territory to convince me that this is a good show again. Ala Ultimates 2 story arc "Grand Theft America," where MANY of the countries the U.S. has intervened and disrupted secretly band together to bring down several American cities and government institutions from the inside; "We are doing the very same thing you did to us, intervening where it was not your place." But they can't do that...it's not a "popular" belief in comparison to polarized good guys/bad guys (which is partially what made season 1's final villian so interesting..you could SYMPATHIZE with the guy on a real level. Can you do that with any of the villians thus far?)

Maybe I've been spoiled by better "bait and switch" surprises in "Firefly," which I found to be written incredibly well. But the surprises in 24 aren't surprising at all to me anymore.

8. thefrozenred

Ebay:
    Bad news, my friend. We're only getting 3 more episodes of Arrested Development before it's killed for good.

http://the-op.com/ and http://saveourbluths.com

Sorry. :( 

9. Skor

Skor I HATE U TRASH MONSTAAAR! TFW2005 Supporter

So glad I skimmed this thread and wandered straight into those delightful spoliers there.

Great stuff.

10. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Aye. But then I remembered, I don't watch 24! Alright! Go team!

11. Edge

The only thing I dont find working is it seems every year there is a mole or trator. which while likely just kind of makes the goverment look like a bunch of bafoons and easy to infiltrate. other then that I'm enjoying it

12. thefrozenred

Ebay:
    Yeah, that too (in as much as 24 is formulaic). I guess they want it to be realistic that the terrorists succeed, but it's "24" for christ's sake. Reality isn't really the show's strong suit.

You're surprised that I threw in spoilers...? I sort of thought a thread talking about why 24 was addictive kind of implied spoiler talk. :p 

13. Skor

Skor I HATE U TRASH MONSTAAAR! TFW2005 Supporter

Nope, the thread said 'Curse you 24...'

Not 'Curse you 24... Here's the biggest fucking plot spoilers ever'.

Damn you. :p 

Oh well, i'll just pretend I didn't hear them... or get them arse upwards, like when someone said that Kim died, and there I was looking for it the whole series. Man was I confused in the last episode.

:lol 

14. thefrozenred

Ebay:
    Oh...sorry dude. :-/

There are more spoilers, though. So take comfort that there's that. :) 

15. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

I watched the second 2 hours. Problem is that Itaped the first 2 hours and didn't have time to watch it before yesterday's. I HAVE to watch it now so I can find out everything that happened. I can't believe they killed off Palmer. I loved his character. Everytime I see the Allstate commercial, I keep calling him President Palmer.

16. thefrozenred

Ebay:
    Shit, you too? Glad I'm not the only one who does that. :p 

17. Edge

i think every 24 junkie does

18. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I've managed to evade the curse of 24 so far...

19. Metal Soldier

Metal Soldier The Robot

DAMMITT! I missed the big spoiler up through Wreckgar's post. *plots horrible revenge*

20. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

You just read my post because I wrote it didn't you? :D