current state of tf s

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Golden Age, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

It seems like we can expect a lot more movie related merchandise coming out in the future. This makes me feel much less excited about collecting. Does anyone else feel this way as well?

2. Banshee

Banshee MvC2 online! woot!

I'm not much of a completist, except for a few lines, and I usually get the toys that I like.
    From what I've seen from the movie line, there are quite a few that I would probably like, so I'm happy :p 

3. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

And don't forget the Heroes cartoon, I'm sure they'll be a ton of toys based on that.

4. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

i'm just after the thing-formers from the movie. the movie is going to be awsome, but the toys just don't work for me. it's basically the head sculpts i don't like, but then again, we havn't seen a prime toy proto for the delux or mega... that might change my mind since i like that design

5. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

Depends on how you look at it. I've never been a completest collector, and I'm not interested in collecting the movie toys beyond maybe one or two. So, I'm not really alarmed by the wall of stuff we're going to be getting in a few months. Plus, I have kids, and my wife and I are looking forward to being able to outfit our family with all kinds of crazy TF stuff (clothes mostly) that we have a minimal selection of now.

Still, I would be terrified if I were a completest. I don't think it's really hit people just the sheer quantity of stuff we're going to be getting this summer.

6. Severus

Severus Curmudgeon TFW2005 Supporter

I'm actually happy, in a way. Not happy enough to be glad that all we're getting is movie stuff (which I'm not against, mind you, I'm just not a big fan of the toy designs), but he lull in stuff I like is going to give me the chance to catch up on the vintage stuff I want.

7. blueandwhite

blueandwhite Well-Known Member

I'm no completist, so I'm not to concerned with the state of the franchise now or in the future. I will buy molds I like and ignore the ones I don't. Its business as usual for me.

I didn't purchase anything from Armada or Beast Machines and I'm no worse for wear because of it. I already intend to pick up Ratchet as I find the mold looks nice in both modes. I'm skipping on the others we've seen. I'll wait and see how this Ultimate BB turns out, and I'm eagerly awaiting some shots of Prime. Again, if I like them, I'll buy them: If I don't, I'll pass. Simple.

8. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Being a completist in the UK is a totally pointless idea. I'm planning on buying the toys I like, and leaving it at that.

9. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

I'm excited about seeing how good or bad the movie toys turn out to be, especially that ultimate class. Of course, I won't be buying many of those, not at $80+, anyway. Interested in the Heroes series as well.

10. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    also they are re-releasing the G1 dvds, so hopefully more re-issues or something to that nature as well :D 

11. butz

butz slippery when wet

I want to limit what movie stuff I buy; kinda like with Beast Machines, where I bought Mega Cheetor, and thus didn't feel the need to buy the even more ridiculously out of scale Supreme Cheetor. Same deal with the movie toys; I won't be buying any Ultimate (oor whatever) versions, or even just large versions of small characters. Just the regualr sized figures, please.
    Other than that, I'm very much looking forward to "Heroes" or whatever they're going to call it. Will likely get everything from that (unless the multiple size scales for the same character thing carries over from the movie or something).

12. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    I will limit to the new figures.

Not a big fan of other "junk" that seems to come out with movies.

13. Deathx360

Deathx360 Farewell Dear Friend

News Credits:
    I am basically a completist since R.I.D. and only skip what I can not find but at this point I don't see myself buying many if any movie figures and I'm not that excited about Heroes either with what little I know but that could change. Money is also going to be a factor. I may save money and just buy things like 6" Titaniums, Classics, Commemorative series, and Alternators if these lines pickup after the movie.

14. LadyStarscream

LadyStarscream Queen of Cybertron

I am a completist, or at least I try to be! But I think people are missing the point to this thread, or maybe I am missing the point, but to answer the question, the movie in general, especially the merch makes me less into the hobby. The more nonsense that gets released, the less I care. I'm just trying to block it all out, and I don't plan on buying ANY movie related item. I'd like to pretend it didnt happen, maybe catch up on some older stuff I'm missing. I just hope there isnt anything else new out there that I'm looking for at the time of the movie toy releases, it will make toy hunts rather annoying!

15. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

At this point it's looking like a disappointing year. I'm not touching any of the movie crap except for the object bots (which managed to dodge the bullet aesthetically). On the plus side, I'll have more money for reissues and Lego sets.

16. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

I sort of touched on it a little, but I'm looking forward to the merch, because my wife is excited about buying stuff for the kids. I think she even wants something for herself. Anything that gets my family involved in my hobby excites me more than any toys ever could.

17. PrimeConvoy

PrimeConvoy ShickaBAM!

I'm sticking mainly just to figures and nothing more and depending what the figures look like, If there good i'll be getting them but if not i'll be sticking just to the main focus of the line the transformers themselves.

18. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I honestly gotta agree with the lack of excitement in collecting. Overall the movie toys designs have not made me go wow. However, all this could change once I see them in person. I've never been a completionist, and if there are things from this line I like, it will only be those select toys I pick up.

19. LadyStarscream

LadyStarscream Queen of Cybertron

It's funny because I go from being obsessive with every line out there from G1 to Cybertron, to not caring. Not only do I try to be a completist, but I'll buy multiples of some figures to keep one opened and one sealed, one in bot mode, one in alt mode, one for the Starscream shelf, one for the Series shelf, etc. etc. And some I'll buy simply because they are cheap or because someone on this forum is bored with the figure! Now it's an unrealistic goal to want like 5 of every figure out there, and that's not my collecting goal, there are many toys I just have one of, and many that I dont even have at all! I'm just trying to make a point that I'm very into getting as much as I reasonably can from every line, but the movie stuff has turned me off completely. I dont care, not interested, it's like it doesnt even exist, next!

20. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm not into the movie line, but then I haven't been into any of the main lines much. Out of Armada, Energon, Cybertron etc. I only buy a few figures that catch my eye. My main interest is in completing the G1 season 1+2 and part of 3 line, the Alts, and the main Classics figures. Plus I need a 6" Titanium Rodimus. So this year wil br a pretty typical collecting year for me, despite the movie.