Current state of comic sales

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Jux, Feb 25, 2007.

1. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

I'm really not into comics that much, but I was curious and hoping some of you (the more experienced readers, store frequenters, and in some cases, store owners) could shed some insight for me.

What is the current state of the comic book industry? It would seem the movie portion of it has been doing quite well for some time, but how about the books themselves? How does it compare to the 90's, 80's, etc?

2. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I don't have any numbers, but I know the sales are lower than the early 90s and the speculator boom (and subsequent bust). I'd guess they're also a lot lower than they were in the 80s, just due to a general shrinking of the comics audience. I know they're way lower than they were in the 60s.

3. geerave

geerave Well-Known Member

the owner of the local comic shop in my area says that they are better then ever....for what its worth.

4. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    best indicator ive read was in regards to the old US TF comic run, axed after the sales fig dipped below... a hundred K.

youre lucky to get even 10K these day...and still be in the top 100 list. yikes.

5. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

For people that actually own shops to make a profit, yes, sales are up. Most shops however are people feeding their habit or a group of friends feeding their habit. The shop I hang out at/work at actually turns a profit and has steadily been going up the last 5 years.

Compared to 15 years ago, I would say the general audience has matured and with the advent of computer coloring, comics have gotten much better.

I doubt readers will ever reach the numbers they did before WWII, but with successful movies, TV shows, and games; the numbers will only increase.

For an interesting look at the decline in comics after WWII, I would recommend anyone read "Pulp Demons" It goes into detail of what caused the decline and Wertham's fight in protecting children from obscene comics and the advent of the Comic Code.

6. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    the comic code can suck my balls :mad: 

7. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Please, the code doesn't have enough muscle left to scratch its own ass, much less suck your balls.

8. The Spider

The Spider Well-Known Member

Yeah, some discussions I was reading through seem to indicate that sales now are better in comparison to around.... I guess 1999-2001 or so.

9. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As a shop owner, I can say that sale have increased over the past two years for us, but they are nowheres near what they were in the early '90's. Despite the success of Comic films, most of my customers continue to grow older without any new fans buying. The recient growth has come from better stories from both Marvel and DC.

Tho I am seeing a new trend that may bring new blood in to shops... Illustrated novels. With comics being made of R.A. Salvatore's Forgotten Realms books and Stephen King's The Dark Tower, I'm seeing an increased intrest in comics from not only my regular customers but from fans of these series as well.

10. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    It really depends.

Overall? Comic sales are up as a whole, and it has to do with these "every year blockbuster" storylines that they pump out (Marvel's "Civil War" followed now with "World War Hulk" .. and DC's Whatever Crisis they're on now storyline, followed with the new one this year).

Transformers comic sales? Marginal, as they tend to cater strictly to a single group of an audience, trying to estabilish new identities for characters that have been around for 20 plus years. They dip down and go up based on what it's about (Stormbringer #1 was great in sales, but #4 was lower, as many discovered the storyline lacked OOMPH that drives mini-series).

11. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    can somebody confirm? i recall somebody quoted current TF comics sales figures at 4-8k for the top title.

damn :( 

i keep preaching this to comic DLers, pls support rthe comics even when they suck.

its the only decent TF official fic outlet where getting these days :( 

12. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

there was an article something about this is one of the last few Wizard magazines...they stated something like it wasn't as good as before, younger generations arent into it like the old generations etc. etc.

i also read somewhere else that comics are making more money than before but the amount of comics being sold are less....i can see this as titles are rising in prices (IDW got theirs at $3.99, $1 more than Marvel and DC)

13. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

sorry, i dont DL comics but i can't support something that i think suck, especially at the $3.99 price....

14. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    What is this comic code that everyone talks about?

Huh, what's that? Google? FINE.

I stopped buying comics once Dreamwave folded. I feel really bad for supporting them but not IDW. I just realised that I was really only buying them to finish the storylines but I wasn't really enjoying them. I really hate myself for wasting my time by getting both Autobot and Decepticon covers of the G1 6 issue minis. Grrrr.

I have picked up 2 of the 4 BW issues though and I'm still gotta track down the 2 I'm missing. Sigh.

15. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In short, the Comics Code is like a regulatory watchdog that monitors the "behaviour" of comic companies and they used to a certain amount of power over the companies until Stan Lee did a story on drugs in a Spider-man story arc.

If I remembered reading about it correctly, the Comics Code Authority wanted to ban that the issues involved but an organization against drugs felt that the issues raised by Marvel were good and ever since then, the Comics Code lost its power.

The story was about Harry Osbourne (the son of the original Green Goblin) doing drugs. Forgive me for not being specific enough but the article which I read on was quite something back.

16. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

All you downloaders can kiss my butt, I think you suck.

Comics are a great artform, my favourite, support the creators, buy comics! They make awesome reading when taking a big poo!

17. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    but...youll have to take it out of the mylar bags! oh noes u r decreasing the values!!!

gawd the 90s speculator market was lame.

18. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Close.

Marvel was actually asked to do the anti drug story by the organization. When the story was sent off to the Comics Code Authority, they said they had to remove all references to drugs. Lee told them what it was for and who asked them to do the story in the first place. They said it didn't matter. So they just didn't put seal of approval on the book and sold it anyway.

19. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    IIRC The Nixon White House asked both Marvel and DC to do anti-dung stories. Marvel did it in Spider-Man where some one Peter knew was going “pills” that just made him act all crazy. Lee admitted he didn’t know anything about drugs and just made up what he thought drugs might be like. DC did it in Green Lantern & Green Arrow with GA’s sidekick Speeded getting hooked on heroine which was depicted fairly realistically.

20. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    I think the comic book store is the biggest problem. Every store is a seedy, smelly, cluttered assault of 4 colour goodness. You only really go into theses stores if your really know what you want, because its terrifying what you find if you look randomly. Its not age specific, its not genre specific and sometimes its pretty low quality.
    I think racks in grocery and convenience stores are the best outlet for increasing comics' visibility. Then online marketing for the specialty stuff.

It very much appears to be a geek boys club, that is very hard to get into from the outside.