Current laptop dying, help needed on which to get next.

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Recall, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    My laptop (Toshiba Satellite Pro, Windows XP) which is only 3 years old is well and truly dead. I've had nothing but problems with it from the start, both due to Norton anti-virus being horrible and raping my CPU and it actually struggling to use its CPU/Processing power, things it should handle it couldn't. Has now started to get blue screens of death daily and is displaying a shit load of errors, mostly display drivers failing.

So i've had enough with it and would like something to replace it, but of course no idea where to start.

It must be able to play music/movies etc with no problem (not 1) and it would be nice if it could run WOW, even on the most average of settings. Windows 7 prefered.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

(I know we prefer our games over actual tech suggestion here, but thought no harm in asking :eek: )

2. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

have you considered rebuilding the os? sounds like that would fix a lot of your issues... well, that and getting a different antivirus :) 

3. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    By rebuild you mean wipe the thing clean and install windows 7? If not I have no idea how to :eek: 

My current specs are this:

Intel Pentium Dual CPU
    T2330 @ 1.60GHz
    1.60GHZ, 1.99GB of RAM

I have no idea how it even compares to today's standards to be honest but shouldn't be getting the problems i'm having :( 

ooooh. Saw this and I likey http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/sony-vaio-vpcea1z1e-b-cek-04952423-pdt.html

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  4. Noizemaze

Noizemaze Ken

News Credits:
    I really love my Asus UL series. If I wasn't at work I'd get you more information, but you can pull them up on Amazon.

5. John_Force

John_Force 16xNHRA Funny Car Champ TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Wipe it. Reinstall all major programs. Get antivirus that works. Also try and invest in Quad Core Processor.

6. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

yeah wipe and clean install. you probably have a set of discs that will run your through the process somewhere.

7. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If you can, get a standard, new edition of windows and install it from there.

there are a lot of preloaded programs that really can bog down the system over a short period of time.

any time I get a new computer (excluding a Mac) I always wipe the HD and just install my own fresh copy of windows