Current/Former Target Employees: How Do Target Clearances Work?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by GrimlockAutobot, Mar 20, 2012.

1. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Me No Bozo Me King!!

News Credits:
    I have my eye on a couple of things that are already on clearance at my local Target and I want to wait until they creep just a little lower in price before I pull the trigger.

I think I remember someone posting on here that when things go on clearance at Target, there's a system that they use where they keep lowering items by certain percentages every couple of weeks or so.

I can't seem to find the original post...did I dream this up or can someone help me?

Thanks!!

2. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

From my experiences with Target clearance:They usually start off at 30% off,then two weeks later it goes to 50% off,two weeks after that it goes to 70% off(used to be 75% off).Once in a while they will only wait a week in between markdowns,but they usually stick to the two week schedule.Also once in a great while they will go right from 30% off to 70% off(I guess it just depends on how fast they want to move stuff out of there).

Of course this is at my local Targets so I don't know if they all stick to the same system.I do know that 70% off is the lowest it will get marked down.

Markdown day at my local Targets is always overnight Wednesday/early Thursday morning,so I always make a point of stopping there on Thursday.

3. GrimlockAutobot

News Credits:
    Thanks for the info.

Also is there a day of the week when this happens? I.E. "Clearance Mondays" or "Clearance Thursdays"....or do they just do it whenever?

4. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

Might get HA Leadfoot if he gets more than 50% off.

5. GrimlockAutobot

News Credits:
    Yeah...got my eye on a couple of things...hopefully I can get as much info as possible before I start stalking my Target...

6. GrimlockAutobot

News Credits:
    Has anyone else had the same experience as Autobobby at their Target?

I don't want to go off the experience of just one Target.

7. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Peace through Tyranny!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thusrday is the day to check. Thats when they mark stuff down. If you get there early people will still be in the aisles doing it.

8. GrimlockAutobot

News Credits:
    Thanks....!!

9. GrimlockAutobot

News Credits:
    I'm still interested to hear a detailed anwser from a current or former Target employee about how all of this goes down.

I know there's gotta be a TFW2005er out there who works at Target (or has worked there in the not-too-distant past)

10. DrTraveler

DrTraveler Once and Future Slicer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd be curious too. Generations Wheeljack has popped up on clearance. At 30% off it's awfully hard to pass him up. At 50% I'm in for sure.

11. jru42287

jru42287 With great power...

News Credits:
    I oddly just found one of him yesterday at my local Target. The weird thing is, I haven't seen any Gens figures there in a while, and then just that one pops up.

12. GrimlockAutobot

News Credits:
    This is the boat I'm currently in.

What I want is 30% off but at 50% or 70% off, I'm all over it.

13. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    This is exactly how it works.

Also of note, is that all Target's clearance the same products, but can be on different schedules.

You can find a clearance item for 70% off at one Target, drive to another one in your city and it can be at 30%. Some stores just start the clearance later from what I can assume.

After 70% off, most Targets give their stuff to a local charity (like Salvation Army) and write it off. There have been plenty of times I've seen stuff at Target that didn't sell on clearance and then go see it at Salvation Army, Target tags and all, the following week. So Target generally doesn't like to let things drop past 70%.

Make sure to scan the item you want too as some stores don't update clearance tags like they should. Its always a surprise finding something at 70% when it should be 30%.

However, if your item has an "as-is" sticker, that's not clearance, some people get the two confused. "As-is" items won't ever drop price.

14. GrimlockAutobot

News Credits:
    Thanks for the much needed info....it is appreciated.

I guess I'll start stalking the Target near me this week. The item I'm interested in was already on clearance for 30% off and I'm not sure for how long....this week may be the end of that first 2-week window.

15. grunge

grunge The TANK

News Credits:
    im watching ultimate OP. im waiting for that 30-50% off. but 70? oh yes ...