Current Case Ratio Trend ~ Is Hasbro Shooting Themselves In The Foot?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Galvanitro, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Galvanitro

Galvanitro Vanguardian

News Credits:
    Updated on April 25th, 2012 to include new waves:

With the recent case assortments for Prime, and DOTM, is Hasbro actually hurting themselves?

For example, look at the Wave 1 & 2 Case Assortments:

Wave 1 Voyagers:
    3x Optimus Prime
    1x Megatron

Wave 1 Revision 2 Voyagers:
    2x Optimus Prime
    2x Megatron

Wave 2 Voyagers
    2x Optimus Prime
    1x Bulkhead
    1x Starscream

Wave 3 Voyagers:
    1x Optimus Prime
    1x Megatron
    1x Bulkhead
    1x Dreadwing

Total:
    8x Optimus Prime
    4x Megatron
    2x Bulkhead
    1x Starscream
    1x Dreadwing

Wave 1 Deluxes:
    3x Bumblebee
    2x Wheeljack
    2x Cliffjumper
    1x Soundwave

Wave 2 Deluxes (This is the most messed up one):
    3x Bumblebee
    1x Cliffjumper
    1x Wheeljack
    1x Soundwave
    1x Arcee
    1x Ratchet

Wave 3 Deluxes:
    2x Hot Shot
    2x Knock Out
    1x Bumblebee
    1x Arcee
    1x Ratchet
    1x Vehicon

Wave 4 Deluxes:
    1x Cliffjumper
    1x Soundwave
    1x Knockout
    1x Airrachnid
    2x Bumblebee V2
    2x Dead End

Wave 4 Revision Case:
    1x Wheeljack
    1x Autobot Ratchet
    1x Knockout
    2x Vehicon
    1x Hotshot
    1x Airrachnid
    1x Deadend

Wave 5 Deluxes:
    1x Arcee
    1x Hotshot
    1x Airrachnid
    1x Bumblebee V2
    1x Deadend
    2x Ironhide
    1x Rumble

Wave 6 Deluxes (New Packaging):
    2x Bumblebee
    1x Wheeljack
    1x Soundwave
    1x Knockout
    1x Vehicon
    1x Ironhide
    1x Rumble

Total (Minus Wave 6):
    7x Bumblebee
    4x Cliffjumper
    4x Wheeljack
    4x Knockout
    3x Soundwave
    3x Ratchet
    4x Hot Shot
    4x Dead End
    3x Vehicon
    3x Bumblebee-V2
    3x Arcee
    3x Airachnid
    2x Ironhide
    1x Rumble

Cyberverse Commanders:

Wave 1 - DVD Edition:
    3x Optimus Prime
    1x Megatron
    1x Bulkhead
    1x Starscream

Wave 1 - Normal:
    2x Optimus Prime
    2x Bulkhead
    1x Megatron
    1x Starscream

Wave 2:
    2x Optimus Prime
    1x Megatron
    1x Bulkhead
    1x Ironhide
    1x Dreadwing

Wave 3:
    1x Starscream
    1x Dreadwing
    1x Ironhide
    1x Ultra Magnus
    2x Optimus Prime V2

Total:
    7x Optimus Prime
    4x Bulkhead
    3x Megatron
    3x Starscream
    2x Ironhide
    2x Dreadwing
    2x Optimus Prime V2
    1x Ultra Magnus

Cyberverse Legions:

Wave 1:
    3x Bumblebee
    2x Cliffjumper
    1x Arcee
    1x Ratchet
    1x Vehicon

Wave 2 (No New Figures; Just Different Assortment Ratios):
    2x Bumblebee
    2x Ratchet
    2x Vehicon
    1x Ciffjumper
    1x Arcee

Wave 3:
    2x Bumblebee
    1x Vehicon
    1x Arcee
    1x Breakdown
    1x Evac
    1x Soundwave
    1x Mirage

Wave 4:
    1x Bumblebee
    1x Autobot Ratchet
    1x Cliffjumper
    1x Breakdown
    1x Wheeljack
    2x Bumblebee-V2
    1x Flamewar

Total:
    8x Bumblebee
    4x Vehicon (the fact that he's in second is surprising, but great)
    4x Cliffjumper
    4x Ratchet
    3x Arcee
    2x Breakdown
    2x Bumblebee-V2
    1x Evac
    1x Soundwave
    1x Mirage
    1x Wheeljack
    1x Flamewar

The biggest trend I noticed from all of this? New figures being shortpacked in THEIR OWN WAVE. The Wave 2 Figures for all but Legions, are shortpacked compared to their carryovers from Wave 1.

But most of all, how are kids going to receive the line?

As a kid, I always tried to keep my sides balanced. I ended up getting more good guys than bad guys, but that was more from the fact that a lot of the figures I really enjoyed were combiners (and during the Japan-To-America Era, those were mostly Autobots), and that there were always more Autobots than Decepticons.

There have always been more Autobots than Decepticons, since 1984. But the extent of which was never this severe.

I get that Optimus and 'Bee were the major characters in the Movies, but in Prime?

Yeah, right. They are background characters at best, with these episodes in Season 2 having been the only major sources of screentime for them so far.

I really think they should go for more balanced assortments, or they are not going to sell/be as popular.

For example, the Wave 1/2 Combined Total for Deluxes is:

Total:
    6x Bumblebee (A Cool Guy, Decently Around In The Show)
    3x Cliffjumper (One Episode, Dead)
    3x Wheeljack (One Episode, May Return)
    2x Soundwave (Ton Of Episodes, Not Much Screentime, BUT, THE ONLY DELUXE DECEPTICON SO FAR)
    1x Arcee (Pro: She's the main character; Con: She's female. Okay, Hasbro, that means she should be packed like Ratchet here, then.)
    1x Ratchet (Heavily around, though not combat intensive...but a popular character. As a kid, Ratchet would've been the first guy I bought out of these, followed by Soundwave (so he'd have someone to fight))

The balance, figure-wise? 14 vs. 2 (7 vs 1) (Autobot vs. Decepticon figures)
    The balance, mold-wise? 5 vs. 1
    Complete Sets Possible: 1 (With 1 Two-Thirds Complete Set, 1 Half Complete Set, and 3 Left-Over Bumblebees)

Alright, now if you balanced the two cases, the total would look like this:

3x Bumblebee
    3x Cliffjumper
    3x Wheeljack
    3x Soundwave
    2x Arcee
    2x Ratchet

Makes the balance: 13 vs. 3 (4.33 vs. 1); MUCH closer to the actual mold difference, and gives a better variety.
    Complete Sets Possible: 2 (With 1 Two-Thirds Complete Set)

Now, finally, the Voyagers:

Total:
    7x Optimus Prime (Yes, he's the Autobot Leader. But Really, this many?)
    3x Megatron (Megatron is the Decepticon Leader, tons of kids are going to want him to fight Optimus. Good luck finding him, kids.)
    1x Bulkhead (The main character after Arcee, and the most kid-friendly)
    1x Starscream (The main Decepticon for most of Season 1, tons of kids would want him)

Balance: 8 vs. 4 (2 vs. 1)
    Molds: 2 vs. 2 (1 vs. 1)
    Complete Sets: 1 (+ 2 Half-Complete Sets, and 4 left-over Optimuses)

If you balance the assortments:

4x Optimus Prime
    4x Megatron
    2x Bulkhead
    2x Starscream

Perfect Balance. At worst, toss one Megatron out and add an extra Bulkhead, because he's a major character.

________

What are your guys thoughts? I hope to continue updating this thread as future cases and revisions come out, to see if it gets any better (or worse).

But I'm curious to hear the thoughts of the rest of the fandom.

2. Jazz342

Jazz342 Well-Known Member

Yes. Bumblebee is everywhere. Good luck finding someone for him to fight. Although his presence on the dotm shelves is disappointing, Hasbro made more of a mistake with dotm thinking that the stores would keep buying movie toys knowing the series was a trilogy with no plans (at the time ) of a 4th movie. It confused me when people kept talking about follow-up lines, despite there being follow-ups fir the other movies. If soundwave (ha and deluxes), leadfoot and que were substituted for 1 bumblebee in each wave, no one would have been upset with the cancellation of the movie line

3. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    I noticed BBTS is already trying to clear out Bumblebee. I don't see how anyone can justify those deluxe assortments with a straight face.

4. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

Hasbro went too far with Deluxe and Voyager Wave 2. This is the only time where I've ever thought that someone on the Hasbro team should be fired.

5. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Speaking only about the deluxes-

I think wave 1 is ok. It's a launch wave, and wave 2 seems to be hitting pretty damn fast. IMO in wave 2 they should have swapped out one of the BBs for another Arcee. Alternatively, release deluxe Starscream in place of Wheeljack (who can be dropped in wave 3 maybe) so there's more variety and faction balance.

6. J2DK

J2DK Fan

BBTS already has over 1200 TFP Bumblebees. They are going to completely remove Megatron to keep a second Optimus? These are very strange decisions. At least wave 2 deluxe is hitting quickly.

7. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    What I've seen here in NC is that Angryjumper and even Wheeljack are starting to shelfwarm as well as Bumblebee and Prime. So we'll wind up with a lot of these figures, and hard to find Arcees (which I haven't seen on shelf) or Ratchet or Soundwave.

However I will say this Galvanitro, I bookmarked this thread because I love how you put together the entire list for the wave sets. Great job.

8. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I sometimes think that Hasbro has forgotten how to successfully run a Transformers main line. Back before '09 we'd see all of the major characters get a toy - one, single toy. The only time we saw characters getting multiple versions was if they changed appearance on the show or if they were a big ticket item named Optimus Prime and Habsro wanted to put out a more affordable alternative. If the on-screen cast was small the line would get padded out with repaints (who may or may not be completely new characters) and toy exclusive characters. Nowadays, though, Hasbro treats all of their main lines like move tie-in lines. All the "star" characters get multiple different versions and those figures get more heavily shipped out than the others. The idea being that more kids will want Bumblebee and Optimus than Arcee, Ratchet, Jolt, or whoever else.

Are they right? Eh, probably. The big name characters usually are much more in-demand than the more minor ones. The problem is that Hasbro seems to be overestimating how much more popular these characters are. We've all seen the pegs - Bumblebee is officially oversaturated at this point, there are way more than enough of him to meet the demand. I'm not sure why Hasbro doesn't realize this, though, especially after the DotM line stalled out at retailers due to the overabundance of the same characters. I hope they eventually figure out that Bumblebees and Optimuses are not going to be enough to drive a full toyline and they stop overshipping the damn things.

I also hope that Rihanna's tour bus breaks down outside my house and she needs to borrow my shower and an extra pair of hands to scrub her back, but that probably ain't happening either. So long as Hasbro thinks that Bumblebees can outsell every other toy by at least a 3:1 margin we'll keep getting a disproportionate number of the yellow bastards, they'll keep underselling, and the later waves will keep getting harder to find because the existing product isn't moving (aka Energon Ironhide syndrome).

9. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    My question is:

- Does Hasbro determine what is in the Wave, or does the vendor request certain figure quantities to be in the wave.

I would be surprised if HasTak was so blind to see that all retailers including HTS sells BB at clearance prices.

10. SeekerofTruth20

SeekerofTruth20 Prime of Primes

Thanks for the list of case distribution! In this area I have found that Bumblebee, Optimus and Cliffjumper are saturated to ridiculous levels. I have seen only 2 Megatron's and 2 Soundwave's...even Wheeljack is pretty scarce. I hope something is brought to attention with Hasbro, or the retailers, but it's like "what can ya do?" Apparently, BB and OP sell...you wouldn't know it looking at the shelves. I understand they were the go to guys in the movies, but we're in a non-movie line...and frankly, Arcee, Bulkhead, Ratchet and Starscream have had far more character depth and growth in the show than BB and OP.

Ahh well :rolleyes: 

11. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke Flynn Lives TFW2005 Supporter

My local toys r us already has 10 legion class BBs on the peg to one CJ. lets not even talk about the deluxe BB's littering Target and everywhere else. It doesn't really matter though, I am done with it. Except for some Cyberverse and perhaps a MP or two (especially Sideswipe) my collecting days are done, it is not worth the headache, wasting gas, or shipping anymore for this kind of nonsense.

My opinion is pretty clear with things in the Transformers universe in general lately.
    VVVVV​

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  12. er4smiths

er4smiths Optimus Prime Titan

My ToysRUs which I just checked at lunch has 8 TF Prime deluxe bumblebees, and 3 cyberverse Bumblebees and 2 Voyager Primes

13. Galvanitro

Galvanitro Vanguardian

News Credits:
    Both of those things would've helped balance considerably.

Has there been new management over the years? Could that be a cause?

But you do aptly describe what I'm getting across. I mean, I don't remember them selling crazy, but during the Unicron Trilogy, it seemed like everyone had balanced numbers.

Even in the Movie 1 line, Bumblebee only got a little more than others did.

Given how branches of a company don't always communicate well with each other, the parts that determine case assortments may not be aware.

I doubt the retailers design the case assortments, though they may make requests (but usually those result in exclusives).

You're welcome! Just trying to give everyone some help! I definitely think I'll update it when new waves come out.

I think the only reason Cliffjumper may be saturated is because he was killed in the first episode. (Not to mention Wheeljack has the 'cool' factor more than Bumblebee and Cliffjumper do). But that's just my opinion.

And it is quite obvious why Megs and Soundwave are rare. :( 

14. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    Should include Wave 3 Deluxes as well:

TRA PRIME BUMBLEBEE 1
    TRA PRIME AUTOBOT RATCHET 1
    TRA PRIME ARCEE 1
    TRA PRIME KNOCKOUT 2
    TRA PRIME VEHICON 1
    TRA PRIME HOT SHOT 2

From Robot Kingdom.

Ratchet and Arcee, despite being core cast members, are still slated as one to a case.

We drop to one Bumblebee but the Bumblebee mold still gets 3 slots total with a character who is not even part of the show.

At least Knockout gets two to a case.

15. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

To be fair, not a one of these toys will be rare. Before long, we'll be sick of Soundwaves and Megatrons.

16. Galvanitro

Galvanitro Vanguardian

News Credits:
    Thanks! Added them to the Deluxes and total.

The rough part is the one Vehicon. I feel sorry for kids who want Vehicons, the collectors are going to eat them all up.

That brings us to:

7x Bumblebee
    3x Cliffjumper
    3x Wheeljack
    2x Soundwave
    2x Arcee
    2x Ratchet
    2x Knockout
    2x Hot Shot
    1x Vehicon

And for molds:

9x Bumblebee
    3x Cliffjumper
    3x Wheeljack
    2x Soundwave
    2x Arcee
    2x Ratchet
    2x Knockout
    1x Vehicon

17. Galvanitro

Galvanitro Vanguardian

News Credits:
    I hope that is true. But we'll never be sick of those two I think. Megatron doesn't even survive to the Wave 2 case, and Soundwave doesn't make it to Wave 3.

For there to be enough Soundwave and Megatrons for us to be sick of, there'd have to be three times as many Optimus' and Bumblebees. That would be frightening.

18. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    It's the 1x Vehicon that bugs me. I hate it when companies put troop builders alone in cases, and worse, he's only in one wave so far.

19. Galvanitro

Galvanitro Vanguardian

News Credits:
    That's why I was shocked (and happy), that so far the Legion Vehicon has the most slots after Bumblebee, as that means they'll be more plentiful. (Depending on how much a store drowns in 'Bee of course)

20. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

Well, we don't know the Wave 4 and 5 ratios.