CSG or AFA?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Erector, May 25, 2008.

1. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    Looking for a bit of advice here.

I got one of my grails this week (eHobby Sunstorm - thanks bfarneth!!!) and I want to protect him, make sure he doesn't get damaged, so I'm gonna get him graded. But I'm not sure which one to go for out of AFA or CSG.

AFA is much more expensive, and with CSG you appear to get more bang for your buck (UV protection as standard, plus about half the cost of AFA to start with!!!). I'm slightly conscious however that - while I don't intend to resell Sunstorm - if I ever DID come into financial difficulty and have to make the decision to get rid of him, that an AFA grade would go for higher than a CSG grade, simply because of the name (especially given the condition this Sunstorm is in - I'll be disappointed if it's not an AFA 90).

I've also heard a LOT of horror stories about AFA, so I'm leaning slightly towards CSG, but I don't want to shoot myself in the foot. Anyone who has used either / both got any advice they'd like to shoot my way?

2. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Honestly, I think both are a joke. If you are looking to keep him safe, maybe one of those acrylic collectors boxes is the way to go. I would only grade with the intention of selling, and if you do I say AFA because it is more recognized. UV protection is nice, but all you have to do is keep him out of direct sunlight.

When it comes down to it, I think it depends on the person grading it. One person's 95 could be someone else's 80. I would love to see some one grade a figure, open it, send it back, grade it again and see how close the grades are. Good luck man, I hope you figure it out, and Sunstorm is a sweet figure congrats:) 

3. Malach Ra

Malach Ra TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I sent in a sealed jpn. D16 original megatron and they(AFA) said it was opened, well i sold it and the person that bought it sent it in, and AFA graded it. I would go with CSG.

4. Batman

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That is pretty sad that they marked a sealed figure as opened. What did they tell the other dude?

5. Malach Ra

Malach Ra TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    well, i didnt get it graded since they said it was opened. the person that i sold it to sent it in, and afa decided that it was magically sealed and they graded it. their inconsistancies are their downfall. I'm sure if i was brianstoys or could city, they wouldve graded it the first time.

6. Batman

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    :lolol  Thats lame. I guess it was the magical tape variant:) 

7. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    That's just sealed the deal. Cheers for the advice guys, I think I'm gonna go CSG.

8. Might Gaine

Might Gaine The Devil Express

News Credits:
    Since you've already made your decision, maybe this post is pointless, but I felt like commenting anyway :p 

You've pretty much framed the issue already--do you want to deal with a place that will screw up regularly, cost more, but will make your figure much more valuable (AFA), or do you want to deal with a place that doesn't have a record for scewing up, costs less, but won't make your figure worth quite as much (CSG).

Almost every single order I've sent to AFA in the past 6 months has had something wrong with it. On the first couple, they scewed up the rails that keep the item in place. Then they switched the labels on two toys. Then they wrote the wrong variation on the label for a couple toys whose submission forms I had explicitly stated the variation on. AFA has become extremely sloppy. They will fix the problems for you for free, but after a while it gets really annoying, and sometimes even the fixes have problems. A year ago, I had no problems dealing with AFA--now it's one huge mistake after another.

Another problem that I was discussing with a friend recently--the figure grades are really messed up. I sent in a Mirage recently to them that had a big scratch on the paint and they gave it a 90 figure grade. Plus, they've stopped giving out 95 figure grades and give out 90 figure grades instead now for some reason. It's pretty odd.

On the other hand, I haven't seen people report the same sort of problems with CSG. I haven't used them myself, but considering how sloppy AFA has gotten, it's hard to imagine CSG is any worse. They're probably the better pick if you want everything done right. I also like that they give toys grades of .1 and .4, etc. instead of just .5, and the color subgrades have really grown on me.

Probably the only thing I don't like at this point is that the overall grade is just the average of all the subgrades, which pretty much guaruntees it will be clustered between 8.0 and 9.0. But I'm sure other people disagree and think it's a good idea.

Anyway, that said, it still boils down to whether or not you can handle your toy not being worth as much. I'm still using AFA because I mostly grade to resell. :-/

9. Locke

Locke Team Vanguard

News Credits:
    If your only goal is to protect the figure, I had good luck with an AFA custom built acrylic case for my GF Backgild. Granted, it didn't add any value to the figure, but it protects the figure (I got the UV upgrade), and I always have the option of easily removing it if I want to. Plus, I didn't have to send my figure away, so I only had to pay shipping one way.

I strongly considered getting it graded by AFA (didn't know about CSG), but decided against it. I can be a bit *cough* anal *cough* about the condition of my figures, and I'm quite happy with the condition of my Backgild right now. If it came back with a lower grade than expected, my enjoyment of the figure would drop considerably.