Crossover TF's. What's the Point?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Tigertrack, Sep 6, 2010.

1. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    the marvel ones are amazing, the only problem with the line is they keep making iron man and spiderman OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER!

2. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    Well, they are marvel's Bumblebees...

3. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I think the core idea was pretty solid. I've read some of the modern crossover comic books and there was just something so amazingly cool about Prime as a HISS tank or Starscream as a Cobra Nightraven.

Where they fail is someone got the incredibly bad idea to make them things like the Luke Skywalker mech or the Spiderman mech. As Transformers characters it would have rocked having some Transformer who picked a Star Wars vehicle as their alt mode. As Star Wars characters so vain they want their mechs to look like themselves it just doesn't have charm.

I love the Marvel figures and I love the Transformers figures, but given how strong the Hulk is I really don't see why the Hulk would ride around in a bulldozer or need a mech that looks like he does.

4. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    What i would really get into is some classic videogame crossovers. I want a Samus Aran transformer.

5. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Now that would be awesome! A Samus Aran Gunship transformer.

6. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

It would a nightmare for Hasbro to get the rights but some of the 80's shows would have stuff for some nice crossover figures. Like KITT from Night Rider or the A-Team van.

7. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    I would love to see this too...

I think these lines are geared more for SW and Marvel collectors to get into Transformers than the other way around. One possible reason is Star Wars/Marvel collectors aren't familiar with most TF characters. They would get the main ones of course (Megs, OP, BB, etc) but many of the TF characters that TF collectors would want (like Jetfire as an X-Wing or Skywarp as a Tie Interceptor) the other toy collectors wouldn't have any idea who they are and would be uninterested in them.

Personally I only collect the SW figures, more as a cheap way to get some pretty nicely designed SW vehicles at a small size. The fact that they change into a robot is a plus (even though some of them are pretty bad). I do have to commend Hasbro that the SW Crossovers have gotten a lot better recently both in their engineering and robot articulation.

8. Shockscream

Shockscream Chairman of Nerd Day

News Credits:
    I can't say that I like them all that much, but I can understand the appeal. The Star Wars ones are really nice in their vehicle mode -- often times better than the SW vehicles toys that get released in my opinion. The MagnaGuard is nice in both modes.

The point, ultimately, is to broaden the appeal of both brands and (no pun intended) generate some crossover between the brands. Well, let's be honest here, some of that crossover already exists and you can't blame Hasbro for wanting to capitalise on that.

9. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

I see how Star Wars Crossovers are a cool idea, since there are a lot of iconic and well known vehicles, but Marvel? There are hardly any iconic vehicles in Marvel beyond Ghost Rider's bike, so Hasbro has to make up vehicles as the go along, often resulting in both modes looking awkward.

A lot of people are saying if established Transformers characters turned into the iconic vehicles, they'd be more impressive figures, and I agree. Star Wars fans will know the vehicle, and TF fans will know the character. A Jetfire X-wing IMO would be a lot cooler than an X-wing that turns into a robotic "likeness" of Luke Skywalker.

10. PORTER

PORTER energon is just mtn dew

I think i might buy a crapload more crossovers.
    when they first came out i got the xwing and the emperors shuttle cuz i couldnt find vader.
    i have vader now but im thinking to do some customs with them:

xwing~jetfire
    tie bomber~thundercracker
    tie interceptor~skywarp
    vaders tie fighter~starscream
    clone turbo tank~optimus
    Millenium falcon~punch and counterpunch
    snowspeeder~bumblebee
    death star~unicron of course!

what do you guys think?
    ill kitbash them to look more G1 as i can

11. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Action Master Super Mod

News Credits:
    i buy the SW crossovers because they're SW vehicles, and fun robots... mostly they stay displayed in vehicle form though...

and i've got a few Marvel figures, but they're mostly for customizing...

i like that the SWTFs aren't TF characters... but with that said, i'm a sucker for dinobots, so i probably would...

12. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Besides the crappy QC and design the crossovers would be better if the price point wasn't $15-$18. I bought a bunch of Marvel Crossovers on clearance for $7-$8 and they've grown on me but I can shell out more than that for them.

13. nellie131

nellie131 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    id say the point of them is mostly kitbash fodder for the radicons such as myself! more toys to bash and pick from is always good

14. Rigas

Rigas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    TFs sell well since movies, the other franchise want in. its easier and more successful to cross license them instead of the coming out with something like Star Wars: Formtransers or Marvels Transmorphers.