Crossover TF's. What's the Point?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Tigertrack, Sep 6, 2010.

1. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

What is the point of the Transformers Crossovers? Transformers should strictly be Transformers only. I don't understand the need to bring other series into the TF toy world. There no characters for them, no play value that I see. I think their kind of lame.
    That said, I do kind of think it would be awesome to have Star Wars ATAT as a Dinobot!
    What do you think? Yea, or nay?

2. VBBN

VBBN The Awakened

News Credits:
    Profit. Obviously.

3. Tigertrack

Besides the obvious. Anybody can say profit. :) 

4. Iced Sludge

Iced Sludge Banned

I feel the same about the Power Core series, I'm collecting all sorts of sh*t for it...

5. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The appeal is lost on me but by all accounts the Star Wars ones are selling well. If it furthers the popularity of TFs it's all good. :) 

6. Tigertrack

Here's another question. If you were collecting both TF's and Star Wars. Where would you display the Crossovers? In between? Or more with the Star Wars stuff since their alt-modes are Star Wars vehicles? They are some what tempting at TRU, but I'm not sure about them. I much prefer sticking with the original classics.

7. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

The point of crossover Transformers is to produce a range of toys which transform into a likeness of a character from a series or franchise not originally related to Transformers.
    As a result, fans of two different franchises can enjoy a single toy which meets their needs instead of two. Plus it saves them money in this respect.

8. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

Yeah, let's keep that mess in your thread.

9. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As I display (nearly) all my TFs in robot mode, they look out of place with the small amount of Star Wars toys I've got, so they go on a TF shelf used for 'smaller' lines where I don't have enough from said line to fill up the whole shelf.

10. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

Boy i hope that iced sludge gets banhammered...

On another not i have heard that the QC on the crossovers are not that good. That said some people prolly love the crossovers i have never bought one and do not intend to i think they all look bad.

11. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Crossovers is a line with excellent potential but lacking in execution. I myself am a fan, but I am also extremely disappointed by the poor quality materials used sometimes and the lackluster engineering. If only they let Takara have a crack at designing them, as well as use better materials, it would probably be my favorite line.

Due to their crossover nature, they have the advantage of having charming characters from their source material. Really it's only the execution that really sucks.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  12. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    I think it is a novel idea. I would guess that someone who collects Transformers is more likely than the general population to collect SW or Marvel Comic stuff (assumption), why not give them both in one toy. Also provides a way to bring SM/Marvel collectors into the world of Transformers and vice versa.

I personally have no interest in having any crossovers in my collection, but as I usually say, "to each their own". I like my Robot Heroes and Mighty Muggs which a significant amount of people find goofy.

13. Houndvoice

Houndvoice Well-Known Member

It's our heritage.

[​IMG]

14. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    I love the wtf reaction it gets from ppl. The guy next to me at work is a fellow SW fan and saw my swtf yoda and went 'maaaaan, thats not right, man' n shook his head. Its almost worth it for the trolling factor.

And to the ppl who go 'these crossovers are stupid' i just throw back at em 'dude. They made motorcyle riding darth vader. U even had lil kid booties with his head stuck on the toes back in the day. STFU'.

15. Tigertrack

I never thought/said they were stupid. I just don't see the reason behind them as they weren't in any series and have no character base. Kind of like original Diaclones really. Though they probably would get me to start collecting Star Wars stuff. One I really like is the SnowSpeeder.

16. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    crossover captain america is frickin AWESOME

17. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    Well, they're not my cup of tea, but I guess the idea behind them is pretty simple; to try to appeal to fans of both franchises. In my case I do like SW and transformers, yet I don't find the SWformers very appealing, though it's mostly a design thing.

It's kind of hit and miss.

18. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

If there's demand for the SWTF & MTF then I say keep them going as long as they produce profits.

I'd actually like to see the Transformers cross-over brands branch off in Thundercats,Voltron & Startrek.

19. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    *salutes*

I don't mind Crossovers, becuase it means that Hasbro is trying new things. New things aren't always awesome, but if they just keep on doing the same thing over and over again *coughMastersoftheUniversecough* then they'll slip out of public consciousness and we won't get no new shineys :( 

20. Tigertrack

Would you guy's like to see an ATAT Dinobot? Every time I see a model of an ATAT, I think of Dinobot Sludge. At least I think it's Sludge, the Brontosaurus one.