Minor/Repaint: Crossover Classics Rodimus Prime concept

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by SMOG, Sep 14, 2010.

1. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

**UPDATE** Some new progress pics in post #49!

So I just picked up the new Iron Man sports car Crossover figure, and like everyone else, I looked at this guy and saw Rodimus. I started fiddling with it to see what I could do with it, and this is what I came up with. The new parts are just stuck on to get the idea across. I haven't done any proper modding yet...

[​IMG]

The exhausts are from a Cybertron Clocker. The chest plate is from a junker Classic Sunstreaker that I had kicking around. With a bit of cutting, I should be able to get it to lay flat over the normal hood in car mode. I guess I should also add a sweet exposed engine there too. That's an Energon Prowl head there... I was planning on modding it, but if anyone has any suggestions for a more Rodimus-looking head in roughly that size, let me know! :) 

[​IMG]

The other thing I like about this Crossover mold... it's HUGE! Easily the size of a Voyager figure... in fact here it is next to Classics Optimus. Makes for a decently sized Rodimus Prime!
    [​IMG]

Now all I need is a trailer. :) 

zmog

Attached Files:

2. Trikeboy

Trikeboy Well-Known Member

Cool, you could go down the road of making this into WFC Hot Rod from the DS artwork. It has similar design layouts.

3. wylungz

wylungz Well-Known Member

wow that looks awesome.. i gotta pick me up a ironman cross over

4. Alteron_Sheng

Alteron_Sheng 'Tis an Kitbasher & Elder TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    ...I'm going to have to go buy one of these now! Wonderful size and design and just perfect for Rodi!!

5. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

What about Energon Rodimus? I think the head would fit quite nicely IMO. And add a spoiler on his back and well you know the rest and blam-o... Rodimus F'n Prime.

6. galvascream

galvascream Apple Junkie

News Credits:

Energon Roddy's head is tiny for a DELUXE figure.

7. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    were can i get this in the netherlands? amazing!!! but dang that Classic prime is so kewl..
    also gonna need that one now :D 

8. Jericho

Jericho Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Very cool. I might do one of these later on, I just need to find one and get new a new head for him.

Got a Hulk coming that I want to work on soon.

9. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Great idea! But does it only look like he's having Gorilla arms or does he really have arms hanging to his knees?

10. Ezilla82

True, but it was only an idea.

11. coinilius

coinilius Well-Known Member

I've been looking at pictures of that mold thinking that it might make for a good looking update to the Gobot Turbo... but loving the Rodimus Prime concept! There's actually a lot of possibilities with these Marvel Crossovers molds...

12. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    Looking good! But maybe you can find a way to make this 'special'..other than the size, I dont think there is any real need for another Hot Rod/Rodimus figure, especially with all the releases of Classics & Animated versions. and the Masterpiece and FP Protector coming out in a while.

Think it would be a shame if you did a lot of work on this figure, only for people to not be impressed because they're too busy drooling over the existing figures..maybe a Rodimus inspired by War for Cybertron, like Trikeboy suggested, or maybe the one from the Ongoing?

13. stprime

stprime Exclu-DEAD

why not use a g1 head?

what did the chest look like before? alt mode?

14. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Another concept?

15. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

That head works for me as Rodimus. I'd say some styrene bits here and there will finish off the looks. Great bash, man. Looks good! Now get back to that Iron Man seeker!

16. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Ok. I now have to get that figure. You sold me on it. I saw Unicron9's version a while back and this sealed the deal. It doesn't matter that there is a Fan Project upgrade coming. This is a great idea. And I have those exhausts too.

17. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    I agree--this is a great idea. I too saw what Unicron9 did and loved it and this really pushes it a step further. I saw the figure in stores, but just couldn't decide on whether to try it out, now I want to. It doesn't matter if there are 20 other Rodimus-type customs or bots out there.....this would make for a fun/cool project and still be unique.

Hope I can find one again now. lol

18. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Yeah, that Energon Rodimus head is tiny, especially for a figure this large. Plus, besides the colours, I find that it doesn't really look that much like Rodimus Prime, y'know?

As for the spoiler, there actually IS a big yellow spoiler stuck to his back in these pictures, though the fact that it's not obvious means I have to make it even BIGGER. :) 

Hulk-tank is a great figure. Nice engineering, nice detailing... albeit with comical proportions. It's especially HUGE too... bigger than any other Crossover. Hulk-dozer isn't quite as nice though.

It's a little of both. They do look longer in the pictures (maybe due to the wide angle macro lens), but they are longer than I'd like. I was planning on trying to extend his legs somewhat, to cut down on the effect. I find the calves on this mold feel especially short.

Agreed... and Turbo from this mold would be *awesome*. Good call!

Actually, what I like about this figure is the way he evokes a sort of classic-looking Rodimus almost out-of-the-box. The reason I kitbash is to fill holes in my collection that I feel Hasbro has not handled to my tastes. The scale is also part of the appeal. I like my collection to look sort of in-scale with each other, and although we've had a few Rodimus figures over the years, there's really not many that fit in.

Classics Rodimus (really Hot Rod) is pretty tiny, and the head sculpt lacks personality.
    Titanium Rodimus is cool (love the integrated trailer!) but he's way too small to fit with my other classics.
    Energon Rodimus is a mess.
    Cybertron Excellion is close but not quite there.
    Masterpiece Rodimus looks fantastic, but of course, will be too big to sit with my Classics.

FP Protector is pretty cool. He's a good size, and is probably the closest to a "perfect Rodimus" since he actually literally works as an "upgraded" Hot Rod with the Classics figure. On the other hand, I'm not sure if I want to drop, like, $100 on an upgrade kit.

The funniest part of all this is that I don't even LIKE Rodimus! I never could stand his character, and most of the Season 3 characters really don't interest me much. I just have this obsessive fanboy need to have a "proper" G1 shelf, y'know? :lol 

G1 head... interesting idea. Now I just need to find one (Hot Rod preferably... looks a bit nicer).

You can find stock images of Sports Car Iron Man in the resources section... I haven't taken any alt mode pics yet because I haven't quite sorted out the front bonnet... but I'll update here as soon as I do. :) 

I know, I know... I'm sick. I didn't mean to... I just picked that figure up yesterday, and I had to do something with it! :D 

Sigh... thanks. :) 

I was thinking of sanding the head down to round off the sides, and smooth the head crest a bit, but it feels like it's a decent match in terms of scale and overall look.

Those exhaust pipes pretty much begged for a Rodimus kitbash as soon as Cybertron Clocker came out. They look pretty silly on his car mode, but great on any prospective Hot Rods (like Cybertron Excellion or Alternators Rodimus).

Now I have to check out Unicron9's version... I had no idea that anybody had done this already (though I figured that with this figure, it was only a matter of time).

zmog

19. dremel

dremel ___________

that bot mode looks great! any shots of his alt mode?

20. Ezilla82

Hey no biggie. I completely understand that his head is tiny, but still it was just a thought. Hopefully the head you choose will make this custom...very unique.