crohns disease

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Aptom, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Aptom

Aptom Well-Known Member

After a shit 3 months with alot of time in hospital ive been diagnosed with crohns disease. there is no cure and it sucks! does anyone else here have it?

2. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I'm sorry to hear of your predicament, man. Don't have Crohn's, but I know a few people who do. Keep the symptoms under control and your life can still be a fairly normal one. Best of luck.

3. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

I feel for you. I wish you all the best. I know what it's like to live with a life long medical condition. All I can say is take it in the stride, don't loose sleep over it and fret, because having anxiety and feeling nervous all the time will only make it worse. Stressing over diseases that cannot be cured can be hard on the organism, both physicaly and mentaly, and can lead to other complications.

4. Brakescream

Brakescream F&@king Twist Ties!

News Credits:
    I have Crohns. All I can say mate is keep your chin up.

You're right, it can't be cured but it can be treated. I haven't had a flareup in nearly 2 years now.

It kinda sucks that finding the right treatment for you can be a bit hit and miss because the docs are still learning what works for different people. So it can seem like they're just chucking random meds at you. Some won't work. Some might even make you feel worse for a while, but if you find something that works it makes all the difference.

It's one of those diseases where you'll have good (ie normal) times and you'll have bad times. But the thing to focus on is that it's still perfectly possible to lead a normal life with Crohns. One of the guitarists from Pearl Jam has it, the singer Anastasia has it. Apparently even Alexander the Great also had Crohns so try not to let it hold you back.

For me it often feels like it's hanging over my head as I know a flareup can (and probably will) happen again, but you just have to focus on the good (I know how crappy this sounds but it's really true) and be aware that there are new breakthroughs in the treatments available all the time. The drug that helped keep me in remission want even widely available 5 years ago, but now there's a version you can inject yourself at home.

Hell one day they may even find a cure.

And you're not alone. It's actually kinda funny to me now. It seems everytime I mention to someone that I have Crohns, they know someone who also has it.

I know of a good discussion board where people with Crohns talk openly about their condition and get support from others who have been through the same thing. If you like, you can PM me and I'll send the link (Not posting it in case it adverstises it to spambots or something)

5. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have a cousin who has Crohns disease. I can't say much, because I only see him about once or twice a year.

I do know that he was taking some medication and the side effect of it was gaining weight.

6. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yes, and it sucks, once you go into remission life becomes easier. Good Luck

7. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

I have it. I was diagnosed about 4 years ago. I've never really gone into remission either even though I've tried every drug under the sun, including 2 trial drugs not on the market yet. There's no way I want surgery though, so I'm sticking it out and I'm surviving just fine. It's rough, but you kind of get used to it after a while.

My best advice would be to try not taking it too seriously. When your whole life becomes a poop joke, then learning to laugh along with it can be one of the easiest ways to cope with it. What doesn't kill you can only make you stronger, and luckily, Crohn's is very rarely fatal, just horribly inconvenient.

Another Crohn's tip... always keep a portable game system in your pocket. It's a lifesaver during all those impromptu 20 minute bathroom breaks.

8. Trenner Dios

Trenner Dios Humility > Huge Ego

One of my best and oldest friends has it. He never, ever talks about it though, and he's had multiple surgeries. I can't imagine it's fun, and I wish you the best, and hope you can find a treatment that works for you.

9. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

Crohn's and Ulcerative Colitis can be very trying and debilitating diseases. Stay strong, keep the faith, and take your meds. Also, look into support groups as they can be helpful as well.

10. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

11. Aptom

Aptom Well-Known Member

thanks for all the messages of support guys. im on pentasa and prednisalone along with alot of pain killers at the moment. things seem to be getting a bit better, just gotta put some weight back on now! on the plus side i have been able to catch up on all the gaming and anime i missed when i was at work.

12. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

If prednisone and pentasa work for you then you'll be in fine shape before long. Those are fairly lightweight drugs for treating Crohn's, so hopefully it all works out well for you.

Also, if you're on prednisone then you'll have no problem putting weight back on. At my worst I was down to 140 pounds and the preds put me up to about 180 almost instantly, which is the heaviest I ever was in my life. I'm at about 160 now off the prednisone and I'm not doing too bad, all things considering. Just remember, it's not the end of the world and things will work out one way or another. Good luck.

13. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have it. Had it for... about 12 years now. I actually went a year without it being treated in any way, and I lost about 30 pounds, and I wasn't overweight. When I did start getting treatment I was on the meds you listed. Also, there were some pretty strong steroid based drugs, which helped but caused me to get other side effects like extreme hot flashes where I would actually turn red.

So, after 12 years of having it, I feel pretty good. I've had no operations either. The thing is that the best medication for it is very expensive, but if it works, then you probably won't get flare ups. What I am talking about is getting infusions of remicade. I get it done once every two months, and that keeps everything under control. The actual cost of the medication is about $3,500 per dose. Fortunately, I am a Vet, so I get it done for free at a VA hospital. But it can also be covered under standard insurance I think.

Anyways, my advice is definitely not to stress about it- stress is bad for the stomach no matter what you have. I've gone a while now and I have a good job and have no problems with relationships and doing active things. It only hinders my life for a couple hours every two months to get the medication. Just keep bugging the docs about different meds until you find what works for you and hang in there.

14. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Everyone has a disease these days. If you don't have something wrong with you, then something's aint right. Just hope you're treating it well & not letting it depress you from living like you should be.

Pretty sure Im going the diabeetus route when it happens. Granpa had it, dad had it, and lately Ive been drinking alot of water for some reason.

It's all flesh wound anyway, it's the spirit that's drives us.

15. SpencimusPrime

SpencimusPrime _

News Credits:
    I have a friend who has it.

16. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    *Looks it up*

Bummer.

I wish you luck.

17. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

My mom has Colitis, and me and my sister have IBS

Keep an eye on that. I just recently found out that I have diabetus, last week, in fact. Check your sugar, and check it often.

18. JetRaid

JetRaid Jhet Rheyd

News Credits:
    My sister has it.

19. BigPhill

BigPhill Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    It's like any life-long illness, you can either let it take control or you can control it. An ex-colleague had Crohns as well, and itt ook them about 18 months to diagnose it in him.

I've been diabetic for over 10 years now, and live a fairly normal lifestyle (except for the occasional hypo). Just don't let things get on top of you with it, always try and find a bright side to something that comes from it.