2D Artwork: Crobot91's TFG1:OverlordVsGodGinrai & GIJoe:BaronessVsScarlett

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by Crobot91, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Crobot91

Crobot91 Daddy has lots of TFs...

News Credits:
    BEEN A WHILE SINCE I LAST POSTED IN THIS SECTION: RECENT COMMISSIONS I DID, ENJOY... :) 

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

For those interested, check out my previous commissions/past works at the following links:
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/trans...ecepticon-gestalts-choose-your-favourite.html
    2D Artwork: Crobot91's Beast Wars Universe Rejected Material - TFW2005 - The 2005 Boards
    2D Artwork: Crobot91's Beast Wars Sourcebook Pencils & Inks - TFW2005 - The 2005 Boards
    2D Artwork: Crobot91's G1 Optimus Prime & Wolverine & Batman Team-Up - TFW2005 - The 2005 Boards
    2D Artwork: Crobot91's G1 Misfire & Carnivac Vs. Skyfall - TFW2005 - The 2005 Boards
    2D Artwork: Crobot91's BW Optimus Primal Vs. Megatron - TFW2005 - The 2005 Boards
    2D Artwork: Crobot91's G1 Devastator - TFW2005 - The 2005 Boards
    2D Artwork: Crobot91's G1 Arcee - TFW2005 - The 2005 Boards
    2D Artwork: PREDAKING vs. PIRANACON - who would win? - TFW2005 - The 2005 Boards
    2D Artwork: G1 Shockwave - TFW2005 - The 2005 Boards
    2D Artwork: Kissplay SamiWCP & Prime - TFW2005 - The 2005 Boards
    2D Artwork: CROBOT91: TF The Movie 1986 - TFW2005 - The 2005 Boards
    2D Artwork: G1 Sequential Illustrations - TFW2005 - The 2005 Boards
    http://www.reprolabels.com/main.asp
    Crobot's Awesome Website (outdated, needs to be updated...)

Professional Work Resume:
    Titan UK's TRANSFORMERS: THE MOVIE #18 (Inker)
    IDW's TRANSFORMERS: SPOTLIGHT DOUBLEDEALER #1 (Inker)
    IDW's TRANSFORMERS: BEAST WARS SOURCEBOOK TPB (Interior Pencils & Inks for various pages)
    IDW's TRANSFORMERS: BEAST WARS SOURCEBOOK #4 (Front Cover Artwork, Back Cover Artwork, Interior Pencils & Inks - Skywarp, Snarl, Stampy, Thrust, Tigerhawk, Transmutate, & Tripledacus)
    IDW's TRANSFORMERS: BEAST WARS SOURCEBOOK #3 (Interior Pencils & Inks - Powerpinch, Randy, Rattrap, Rattrap TM, Razorclaw, Rhinox, Rhinox TM, Scissor Boy, Silverbolt FZ)
    Dreamwave's TRANSFORMERS: G1 (Vol.3) #0 (Fan Art Pencils)
    Night Realm's SCENTURUS #2 (Interior Pencils & Inks)
    Night Realm's SCENTURUS #1 (Interior Pencils)

Attached Files:

2. Maximus_Prime

Maximus_Prime Graphicon

News Credits:
    WOW just amazing!

3. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I'd LOVE to see those colored, wow.

4. Deadsled

Deadsled Energon Recovery

News Credits:
    Redline's right, these are begging for color

5. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    These look really nice; great work, buddy :thumb 

6. Crobot91

News Credits:
    Thanks for the kind words guys! :D 

I suck at colouring so if anybody wants to colour these, feel fee to do so.

7. Yaujta

Yaujta Not a Bear TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    So, the GIJoe corps encourage frilly undies now? Finally, Shipwreck has his day.

What are these pieces being used for, if I may ask? They are layed out quite nicely, but leave very little room for titles or headers. No matter what, the detail is superb.
    Excellent work there! Did you do the tracing...er...inking as well as the pencils?

8. Crobot91

News Credits:
    Thanks man; re: your questions - these pieces are commissions so there was no intent to make them suitable for comic book publishing; hence, there is no room for headers or titles. The customers wanted bang for their buck so I did my best to accomodate them with these oversized pin-ups. :) 

And, yes, I pencilled and inked both works. :D 

9. Boltax

Boltax I'm a Veronica man.

Hi. Do you mind if I speak frankly? No? Good.

Okay, I've looked at the Overlord/Ginrai pic a few times now and it feels kinda messy. I understand that these are comissions and the person has paid for your style and I'm sure they're exceedingly happy with them -- so I'll ignore that and just look at the work.

One of the things I really like is the gesture on Ginrai's forward hand. Yet... the same attention to detail hasn't been paid to the other hands. Especially so with the gun-holding hand. I don't feel like he's actually holding only a gun handle -- for one thing it's not coming out the other side, for another his hand isn't shaped to a gun handle.

I also feel like the detail is a bit confused. Your inking style doesn't seem to pick hi-lights, so much as put outlines around things. Nothing casts a shadow and every interior surface has thinner lines than the exterior -- which flattens the perspective massively. This makes it hard to pick out exact details and therefore hard to read individual characters as... well... who they are.

Have you considered shadowing or shading more when you ink? PErhaps having larger surfaces projecting surfaces casting shadows on other surfaces? A shadow cast by Overlord's gun across Ginrai's body would add enormously to the drama of the scene. It's also odd that Ginrai's arm is entirely in shadow -- yet he's not casting any sort of shadow on Overlord's leg. The result is a real absence of a light source.

Anyway, I hope I'm not being too picky... and I hope my crits help.

--Boltax.

10. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    nice work man..I liked to see it colored and on my wall!

11. Crobot91

News Credits:
    Cool, thanks for taking the time to provide constructive feedback - it's always appreciated! :) 

12. MACRAPTRON

MACRAPTRON Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree with Boltax's points. I'd also like to add two minor nitpicks: Overlord's jet/shield thing, it's hard to understand how it's attached to his arm, and the way you seem to be too worried about filling every empty space in the canvas. There's a feeling of enclosure in there.
    BUT, these are merely comments based on classic drawing rules. That's your artstyle, and art is about expressing yourself. It's all up to you to place a shadow in the right place or not, if it doesn't pleases you. We see things differently, we express ourselves in different ways. If people like your work, you don't have to go 'Autocad' mode and draw everything in the right place, with the right shadows and perspective.

And you know why?

That's artistic suicide.

You learn what you want to learn. Rules must be used as instruments for improvement. If they end up ruling the way you express yourself, you'll get lost.

That being said, I'd like to say the Overlord vs. God Jinrai pic exhales self confidence. It is clear to me that every stroke in there was placed YOUR way. But I don't see that in the gijoe pic. I'm GUESSING (and nothing more than that) that you're not used to draw humans. I'd instantly recognize a TF picture from you, but I'd never tell it was you who made the gijoe pic.

So keep at it, you're doing great. Never lose your essence.

13. Crobot91

News Credits:
    Thanks for the words of encouragement! :)  It definitely provides me with extra source of motivation to get a constructive critique from a great artist like yourself; especially considering I'm a big fan of your TF work! :thumb 

You and Boltax are right (among many things) regarding Overlord's parts/accessories; they definitely come off as afterthoughts, lol... I got to pull back more often as opposed to providing a 'big-bang-for-the-buck' pin-up which does not necessarily translate into a successful piece.

Thanks again guys, much appreciated!

14. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I think the short story to the lesson learned is more =/= better; sometimes less is more :)  I know that if I was a client and I requested a piece of artwork, I'd be more concerned with having a piece of quality vs. having a lot of stuff drawn. I do see your rationale for your approach though.

The cool thing about you as an artist is that you've been using this forum to continually improve your work. I think you work has improve vastly because of this, and I hope to continue to see your work keep getting more awesome. I've loved following your work, buddy!

15. Jetstreamx

Jetstreamx Lord Jettington

Wonderful work. I love you lines. Everything feels really well handled. My main qualm, though, is in the first picture, I felt that Overlord isn't held together very well. At first I thought it was the detail, but Ginrai's pretting detailed too, but he feels like he's being held together much better. I think what it may be is that either the perspective is off a bit, or the body doesn't feel like it's lining up from the crotch to the torso. Perhaps if you could make it look like he's somewhat bending, might make him look a bit more natural. Granted Ginrai's off too, he looks a lot more natural.

As for the one with the G.I. Joe chicks, forgive my lack of knowledge, I could never get into G.I. Joe, Aside from the building in the front that the two characters are next to, I love your perspective and buildings. I also really enjoy the textures. I think I love the line quality more in this picture than I do the last one. My biggest problem are the bricks. They seem to be a bit over detailed. It's probably all the cracks, which kinda give me the feeling that the building isn't going to be standing for much longer. In any case, the cracks seem to be fighting the character in the foreground for attention.

Either way, the lines and details are just marvelous. Great work overall! I love your inks.

16. Crobot91

News Credits:
    Cool, thanks guys! Off to finish off two more commissions I've got left over. I'll be taking your feedbacks into advisement when working on them - should have them posted shortly, later... :)