2D Artwork: Critique Proportions?

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by TedimusPrime, Jan 16, 2011.

1. TedimusPrime

TedimusPrime Well-Known Member

This is a WIP I'm doing, but because it's for a convention I'm going to, I wanted to make it as good as possible which is why I'm uploading it as a pencil sketch.

Basically with my last couple of pictures, my proportions and perspective have been out of wack. I wanted to see if I corrected most of my problems or not.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Looking good so far; for the most part the proportions seem to work well. After about a minute of looking at it, here's what I can see:

The top of the chest seems to get slightly higher as it goes to left, which kinda gives it a reverse perspective effect. It's only slight, but is just about noticeable. Also, while the top of the right shoulder seems to fall slightly below the level of the top of the chest, the left shoulder looks like it's actually flush with it, which would make it higher than the right shoulder too.
    The only other thing that comes to me right now is the right knee. I'm not exactly sure what bothers me about it. I think it might be that the perspective at the top of the lower leg seems a little forced; it tapers more toward the back than it needs to considering the sides are supposed to be parallel.

Hope that helps some, I'm not too good at being critical. :p 

3. Rattrap587

Rattrap587 Maximal Ground Operations

Ebay:
    I see great improovement on this one. Just the left leg perspective looks too forced. Keep the good work.

4. Weremole

Weremole Whack-a-mole Avenger

Transformers doesn't have the proportions of humans, they are exhaggerated for the illusion of power and for the merit that they transform. Generally superhero proportions with smaller thighs is the trick. So I see no problem here besides the leg perspective thing that's been mentioned.

5. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    it depends their are kinda 2 different ways to tweak this to seem better. either the waist needs twisting or the legs need tweaking

6. TedimusPrime

Is that just in perception where they need to share the same disappearance point? Or is there something else there that I'm missing?

-Thanks for all the feedback guys! I didn't expect so much help

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  7. Altitron

Altitron Commercial Artist

Ebay:
    I think the problem with the legs is that the hip doesn't exist for the leg on the right. Instead, the top of the leg inserts into the crotch, when it should actually be moved over some to the right.

Also, what Ramrider said about the chest and shoulders... I don't think the perspective lines match the rest of the image. The top of the chest is too high up on the right side. The right shoulder could stand to be lowered some.

How do you feel about the placement of the head? It seems to me it ought to be moved to the right some.

- Alty

8. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I hope this makes it a bit more clear.

the blue lines are the normal ways to look at perspective when talking about transformers one is far more forced then the other giving it a feeling of scale the other is more of a plain look with out any scaling.

the red lines are what it seems the body follows and it seems to be force in some areas and not in others. the legs give the idea that their is distance between them while the hips and shoulders are not forced.

*yeah I know its not the best and even the lines I added are off but its a rush job (or at least that's my excuse)

Attached Files:

9. TedimusPrime

I was wishing somebody would do this. I love you.

10. adconx2

adconx2 Cybertron D-Block

Ebay:
    I got lost...

11. kjeevahh

kjeevahh n/a

News Credits:
    nice work blitz.

also while what weremols has some truth in it, it's a bit too far on this one, his thighs are tiny, makes him look too short.

also the same old issue, when you draw a face from an angle it's too close in size to the corresponding shape drawn face on, eg. the front face of the calves, it should be narrower when viewed at an angle. Otherwise it looks like the front-on shapes are actually narrower than the angled ones, when of course they should be the same size. the problem is less pronounced on this than some of your earlier ones, but still there.