Critics VS. the people!!!

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by PrimePower04, Jul 15, 2009.

1. PrimePower04

PrimePower04 I got the touch!

Why do you think most of the general population enjoy ROTF...but the critics hate it with a passion??? i can see the more old fashioned critics hate it but not every one..

Also a critic said ROTF might be the worst movie of the decade....What???? Where can they get this??? I know ROTF has flaws but come on I saw a movie called Norbit not long ago...

IMO....the critics enjoy the more artsy movies...the movies with great acting and story...or whatever the films they love contain...however those films are dying and the blockbusters are taking over the show...i honestly think the critics are jealous of films like ROTF.. I know that Star Trek they all loved but Star Trek contained a lot of what they like...people..acting..blah blah...personally I found Trek so boring.

I guess I am just frustrated with how much the critics are bashing what I love...I just wish I could tell them to go to ****..and that thier opinon means nothing! I just needed to make a thread and get that out

2. Hand Of Omega

Hand Of Omega Well-Known Member

'Professional Critics', what a joke.
    Sure, ROTF is a summer flick which has far more in common with 'Last Action Hero' or 'Independance Day' than 'Citizen Kane' or 'Titanic', but I think the average movie goer is underestimated.

As one journalist once said, and was quoted by Wierd Al on the commentary for 'UHF', "critics need to watch films with their backs to the screen and watch the audience...", meaning if the audience is laughing profusely at a comedy, jumping at a horror or having a damn good ride with an action film, the film works - period.

Every person knows, almost subconciously, that not all types of films are the same. You can't vote or debate as to what is the best film between 'Zoolander' and 'Private Ryan'. Its pointless, they are two completely different types of filmed entertainment.
    Critics forget that, I think.
    The general audience can watch and enjoy a broad variety of films and genres and styles and its the critic that needs to come up to that level and see and review films like ROTF for what they are without expecting an Ingrid Bergman masterpiece, James Whale feature or a Wolfgang Petersen epic.

3. PrimePower04

PrimePower04 I got the touch!

I agree completely....nicely said...ROTF is a movie to entertain not win acadmamy awards...although it should win some visual effects and sound awards!!!

4. bumblebot98

bumblebot98 Banned

News Credits:
    not likely to happen mainly because every award show is rigged,like how twilight won half the MTV awards.

5. Hand Of Omega

Hand Of Omega Well-Known Member

Pfft..every awards show is rigged. Especially these days. Its all 'political'. Thats media politics, not government by the way.

6. Primesfist

Primesfist Well-Known Member

The critics don't know shit. Everyone is a critic in their own right. The people that go by the title of 'critic' are those that love the sound of their own voices and think peolpe actually give a shit what they say. Watch the movie - if you like great, if you don't no worrie. Nuff said.

7. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

The critics have their reasons for not liking the film, and some of their points are legitimate. It's the critics that hate the film with a passion that get me. I mean it is absolute, unbridled hate. For a movie. There are plenty of other things in the world to cause that level of anger and passion...but a movie?

Why would you waste so much energy and time on such a silly pursuit? Just say you don't like it, why you don't like it, and move on. But the problem is, one says "This sucks" another follows suit, and another, and I'm starting to think it's like a brainwash of the masses kinda thing. "Oh he's doing it, I might as well!" kinda deal.

When a movie can make a critic such as Roger Ebert show his unprofessional side, you know there's seriously something wrong. Same goes for the fans who went out of their way to be so jawdroppingly offensive that they could've been restrained by a PFA (Protection From Abuse) Order. There's something really wrong with that as well.

But the thing of it is, no matter how many negative reviews come out, there's always someone lining up to buy another ticket to watch the movie, AGAIN. (For some folks, this'll be the 3rd, 4th, or even 5th time!) The box office totals don't lie. The toy sales (in some areas, not all) don't lie.

Revenge Of The Fallen IS a hit with it's audience. Some members of said audience didn't like it, and that's fine, but the majority have spoken. It's a hit. A lucrative one, to boot.

So, for once, I can truly say the critics are wrong. A planet full of people building the box office take past half a billion dollars can't all be wrong. No matter how many people would love for the movies to fail and the fans of 'em to be wrong...it's just not going to happen.

And there are people (including critics) who enjoyed the first one, yet hate this one, even though they say it's more of the same of the original. (That still makes no sense to me whatsoever.)

I do get what the critics are saying to a certain point. The sense of wonder, the wow factor are pretty much nonexistent in ROTF, but we've gotten past those gimmicks (which the first film relied upon way too much), and ROTF went more for story, action, and special effects than just gimmicks and special effects.

The audiences have noticed it too.

An amazing thing has happened here, people. The critics outright hate the film, the people love it, and it's the biggest moneymaking critical failure to date.

Gotta admit, something's wrong. And this time, it's the critics.

BTW...there have been movies that were giant hits that I just didn't give a crap about, so I see both sides of the argument, I really do, but this time we have to let the boxoffice number speak for the film. Regardless of whether you like it or not, the film's going to continue to make money and break records. Some of us get it and revel in it, others don't, and won't.

Guess all we can do at this point is just say that we've both said our piece, and wait for the next one to come along. Past a certain point, we're just going 'round and 'round, again and again, and for no good reason.

A movie? Really? Methinks our passions need to be toned down a bit, and let common sense prevail for once.

Feel whatever you want about it, but do so with sanity and civility. It's JUST a movie.

8. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Critics are generally paid to look at film in a way general audiences do not. They then distill their experience and pass it on to their readers/watchers in a way that relates to them on a dollar and time value prospect.

Given that the movie falls over itself over quite basic things it's relatively easy to see why they wouldn't reccomend it to audiences. I still don't understand why people are upset over this, the box office shows that it's done fine regardless, so what's to get mad about?

9. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

People don't like being told they're wrong, and they're damn well going to try their hardest to be right and make people take notice, even if "right" isn't possible for them. Simple as that.

Critics don't want to admit ROTF's a hit, because then they'd admit to being wrong.

Fans don't want to admit the critics are right, because they're basically incapable of giving in, even once.

It's silly, but that's why everyone of us is upset.

10. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    I blame it for those who obsese over being able to sue. They never learn to take something on the chin and move on they always have to make a big deal out of it.

You don't have defend an opinion be it your own or someone else's. Why are people still so mad about critics, is it soely based on the fact Transformers are involved?

11. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Well see, we don't *really* know what the general audiences thought as a whole. Just because it made a lot of money does NOT mean every single person shelling out money actually loved it. Be sensible here. Oh, the exit polling? Uh...how many screenings actually had those? I sure didn't get to partake in one. Did you?

And yeah, most "professional" critic reviews I read were far more sensible than many here have lead on. Plot, pacing, dialogue, yeah - suck it up, those things are integral to successful storytelling in a movie. Your "it's just a toy commercial!!!" and "WHAT DID YOU EXPECT FOR A SUMMER MOVIE O MAN" excuses do not supersede that in any way. You didn't notice any problems? Fine, great, glad you enjoyed - but that doesn't mean the people that did notice them are "out of touch" or what the hell ever, and they certainly don't deserve your insults.

Please realize - movies are subject to taste. There is no right or wrong. No good or bad. People have just as much right to hate it as you do to love it. Embrace that, and understand that it really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. You'll be much happier.

Again, money being made doesn't have anything to do with a film's quality or much people actually enjoyed it. It just means a lot of people went to see it - and with this movie that was a given anyway. As far as I saw, most critics were not saying "this movie is not going to make money" - so there's really nothing to be wrong about.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
  12. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    'Critics vs People' ?

C'mon, that's a way too simplistic take on the whole case.

13. iceburn9

iceburn9 Constructicon

News Credits:
    There will always be people who love or hate certain things. Personally, I respect those opinions fully. The ones who really irk me are those who feel a certain way, and then go on a personal crusade to influence everyone else into sharing their views.

If one dislikes a movie for whatever reason, fine he's entitled to it. But I see no need for one to go on a crusade and try convince everyone else to dislike it too, and throw in a bunch of degratory terms to make themselves seem right.

14. mfa8578

mfa8578 transparentprime

the last time i was awed by a movie was my first experience with tf1... hehe.. and this time around... rotf did it again!!!
    i mean, if you compare this movie with some shit like x-men:wolverine... i guess rotf goes far better .. (to the x-men fan... sorry... but x-men 1 n 2 were great though)

15. DeathsHead

DeathsHead Well-Known Member

A most sensible post.

As regards audiences enjoying it vs box office - I only saw the movie a couple of days ago and have refrained from posting due to the fact that my girfriend, my friends and I all uniformally loathed it - not a popular view on this forum :D 

Most of the people who I know have seen it were at the very least intrigued to see the sequel, some very excited. Suprisingly, (or not if you share my opinion of it!) most of them were pretty disappointed. This won't be refelected in the ticket reciepts though.

At my screening there was quite a considerable amount of foot shuffling during the flick and grumbles on the way out. I know other folks on here have reported cheering crowds when they saw it. I think there's quite a mixed response.

16. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Yup, at the end of the day all that matters is box-office take. I think the real test will be movie 3. As Transformers was generally well recieved all round, and the second seems to be, at best, getting mixed reception it will be interesting to see how that effects the box-office.

17. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Big movies just don't seem like movies any more they seem like events you have to go to just so you can keep up with pop culture or so you are not the only person at the party who hasn't seen something.

It's a bit like the Super Bowl loads and loads of people watch the Super Bowl who have no interest in football because the Super Bowl has become an event now. People who didn't watch any of the games leading up to the Super Bowl will watch the game just because they don't want to be that person at work or at a social gathering who didn't see it.

The really big movies seem to be marketed the same way now. It's not the entertainment value of it but saying I was there and I saw it.

So even the box office these days doesn't seem to be an indicator of whats good or whats bad except in films that aren't a big event film.

18. Starscreamownz

Starscreamownz Air Commander

News Credits:
    Lol I actually watched the super bowl cus everyone else was but I was interested in the game. And also Critics go to movies to find faults. Critics who were critiquing ROTF were making every little detail a huge problem. I read one of epic failure proportions. The thing that made me laugh was "THIS MOVIE HAS NO FREAKIN PLOT." Which is a load. The critics dont want to be wrong about a movie so there continuing there bashing. Although then again. Who cares what a critic thinks. there critics. Nobody likes them except maybe there mother. xD

19. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

So we're back to this again...to be blunt, some people here need to move on with their unbashed critic hating. As long as you personally love the movie, it doesn't matter what some person, whom you never met, thinks about the movie.

20. payton34

payton34 Well-Known Member

News Credits:

^^This.