Critics being paid under the table to bash TF2?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Tyrannosaur, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur 100% Sarcastic Saurian

This theory has been going around alot, mainly on the IMDb boards, that big movie companies pay critics to bash movies other companies make to get more money. Here's a small hypothetical situation of what I'm trying to explain.

For example, Warner Bros. has their new film, Harry Potter 7, coming out in a few weeks but Transformers 2 will still be out and making payloads of money. Being the greedy bastards (They copyrighted the Birthday song, how much of a greedy douche could you be?) they are, they hire top critics like Roger Ebert and pay them to write a negative view so Transformers makes less money at the Box Office. They also pay them to write a good review of their movie to attract more movie-goers.

You gotta spend a little money to make alot of money, and that's what other movie studios are doing. They wanna steal the Box Office to make as much money as possible. No studio is innocent in this, I'm pretty sure Paramount, Universal, everyone has done this, and everyone is a victim of it.

Look at Ebert's review, look at Joblo's, look at every negative review of this movie so far. Doesn't it seem a little odd that they tackle every little unnoticable thing in their reviews? Now look at people who are just regular movie goers who saw this movie. Alot of people said this movie was good. Critics say it's bad, general public says it's good. After reading the post aboe me who do you think you should trust? A good friend or a know-it-all snotty critic?

What also pisses me off about these negative reviews is that critics are looking at them expecting to be works of art. It's god damn Michael Bay. He's an action director, it's what he does best and he's god damn good at it.

Really, it's too long? The first movie was like 140 minutes or so, this one is a few minutes longer. Give me a break you panzy.

An action movie requires not much to make it entertaining and to keep you satisfied for the next 2 hours start-to-finish. Action movies need a decent plot (Good vs. Evil, simple enough) to drive it along, and to add to that, a little character development and some decent if-not-good acting. now obviously all you need left is action, and I'm pretty certain Transformers 2 passed that with flying colors.

It's a summer movie. Something to entertain you for the next two months, and to me Transformers fits that perfectly. The whole movie doesn't need to focus on every character, same goes for the Transformers. Just like stand-ins thats how some of them are portrayed. Look at a movie about WWII. Do you want the movie to focus the one squad it's been focusing on the entire time, or do you wanna focus on the other 1,000 soldiers on the battlefield?

My final thought, expect the price you paid for your snacks and ticket worth it. I'm seeing this movie tomorrow and no negative critic will change my mind. Go into this movie with neutral attitude for it, but expect something to stiffen the hairs on the back of your neck for the TF fan inside of you.

2. roy_flagg00

roy_flagg00 I want more life....

I am not sure that most people pay attention to critics, so the idea doesn't seem to make sense.

3. buffbeefbroth

buffbeefbroth Holier than Thou

I think this claim is a little desperate...

4. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    This won't end well.

5. iamamachine

iamamachine colonyofcells

News Credits:
    Maybe somebody mailed that awful $100 Devastator toy to the movie critics and they are now all mad.

6. TFAN

TFAN New Member

OF COURSE IT A CONSPIRACY!

Actually it would make some sense... Why else would they move Harry Potter 6 form the fall (like the other five) to the summer? That plus it could be just general Bay hate. I mean I know so many people who hate his movies but never give a logical reason for it, they just say he sucks... I suspect that the GEEWUNer's have something to do with this as well.

7. Tyrannosaur

I don't doubt it Sso02V. It's not my fault for a thread I started to end up in a flame war it's everyone's responsibility to act civilized, which is a little hard for some. Back on topic do you think this is a possibility?

8. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    it's just as possible that Dreamworks is paying critics to put in a good word.

at any given point, somebody in this country is getting paid off to alter their opinions. it's just a combination of business and the human condition.

Hope you're right though. I want to like ROTF, but the things I've been hearing...

9. Ratchet2007

Ratchet2007 Neither Here Nor There

News Credits:
    Harry Potter 7 ?

10. Tyrannosaur

Probably but I haven't seen as many positive as Negative reviews out there.

11. Tyrannosaur

Oh my bad. Is it six or seven Ratchet2007? I really don't care for HP lol.

12. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    The way I look at it is if a "Critic" hates a movie it has to be good. Those stuck up bastards would have us watching Brokeback Mountain and The Joy-Luck Club all day if they had their way.

13. Mister Gone

Mister Gone Macro-Con

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

14. NemesisBruticus

NemesisBruticus Banned

What?

15. Basketball Jones

Basketball Jones Decepticon

Is anyone here familiar with the term "damage control"?

16. Mister Gone

Mister Gone Macro-Con

News Credits:
    A bit obscure but think about it and it will come to you.

17. Ratchet2007

Ratchet2007 Neither Here Nor There

News Credits:
    Six

18. roy_flagg00

roy_flagg00 I want more life....

if there were people out there who were arguing logically agains the points that these reviewers were making, you would have a point. But I mostly just hear:
    "it's a transformers movie. it's okay if it doesn't have a good plot"
    "you just are a hater who hated the movie before you saw it"
    "why does everything have to be explained? some people are just never satisfied."
    and no response to the bad cinematography.
    like it or not, the reviewers jobs are not to go to a movie and "shut their brain of" as many have suggested doing when viewing this movie. They don't (or at least they should not) base their reviews on whether or not they are fans of the franchise. they can't just say, "man, the visuals were great and the effects rocked!:bay "
    This does not mean that the movie will be bad. The critics as a group have historicall panned films that have turned out to be successfull and have a lasting impact and fan base. But as has been stated before, many of these critics slamming ROTF seemed to like the first one. not a good sign at all.
    not hatin', just sayin'

19. Luxor

Luxor Office Ninja

Wow. Makes sense,

20. aeligature

aeligature aka zynordar TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    It's not unheard of.

David Manning (fictitious writer) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

With that in mind, I highly doubt most reputable, long-time movie critics would take studio money and write their reviews accordingly. They have their livelihoods at stake, which is propped up mostly by reputation and experience. Any movie critic found to be taking money on the side would be quickly unemployed.

I actually enjoyed Joy Luck Club. Blame my Asian immigrant mother.