Critics Are First To Be Fired At Newspapers

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Voiceroy, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Haw! That's hilarious. I would dare this guy to find just one person in the US who buys a newspaper just for the movie critic reviews.

I'm not surprised at this at all since reviews are so readily (and more quickly) available on the internet. I always prefer capsule sites like rottentomatoes.com and metacritic.com and even netflix.com and imdb user comments. I honestly don't give a crap what self-titled movie critics have to say about movies because they tend to turn their snobbery nose up at the stuff that the rest of the movie-going public wants to see.

2. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Not all that surprising, imo. I personally don't read movie reviews, ever. I'm not one to trust someone who gets paid to write reviews to tell me if I should go see a movie or not. I usually watch the previews, form an opinion about how the movie looks, and then decide from that if I want to go see it or not. Though there have been some that I didn't even need to do that to decide whether to watch or not.

3. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

I've been known to pick up a paper to take a quick look at a movie review. I usually just do this for movies for which I have no idea of what to expect. Quod erat demonstrandum to you Mr. OP. You loose, good day sir. That said, yes I do also look at Rotten Tomatoes or something like that too.

Also, maybe some of us dont want to see or dont like to see what the "general public" wants to see. I would rather read 100 snobby movie critic reviews than look at one comment saying how 2007 Transformers was "Ammazing!1!". Trash like that should not get made and does not deserve the box office revenue it pulled in. Sadly for myself, not everyone thinks like me.

4. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    I assume by "Mr. OP" you're referring to my "OPinion" and perhaps I was a little extreme with my comment.

But I'd still say it's an extremely small percentage of the public who would buy a paper for the sole purpose of reading movie reviews.

I also wanted to add that I found it amusing that you used a Latin phrase and actually spelled it correctly too, only to misspell "lose".
    And for that you get a: :throw 

That's why I like metacritic and rottentomatoes because they *do* include capsule reviews from movie critics if you want an intelligently-written opinion, but it's balanced by opinions from users too.

5. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Doh! You win that one :p  Well played, I fail at paying attention to my own words.:p  But I must say it is typically the realm of older people who go to the newspaper for reviews. I still think it is a bad choice to can them if they can cut costs elsewhere.

Yea its a good site. Although I would also add that I try to look at reviewers individually to see if they share my tastes with things.

6. Boy who screams

Boy who screams Banned

I do agree with his reasoning though.
    It is stupid to cut out the review section. Admittedly, I use the internet for my reviews. But I also use it for my news. Because everything on the internet is true.