Criminal offered $50 000 to turn himself in

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CdnShockwave, Jun 6, 2010.

1. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

And here I thought the Spelling Bee thread had hit the bottom of the barrel

Reward offered for infamous teen bandit

2. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

I can understand if authorities offer a reward for anyone to help them track down and arrest a criminal, but to offer a reward directly to the criminal himself just so that he can turn himself in?

That's just plain stupid, it'll never work. The guy's obviously not going to turn himself in.

3. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    That kinda makes me sick.

4. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    ugh.. the sheer stupidity of this makes my brain hurt

5. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Then you'd better never watch anything about Robin Hood ever again. Otherwise your a filthy hypocrite.

6. Kraken2009

Kraken2009 Megatron's Right Hand

Yeah, the idea of a sting gone horribly wrong. I don't see the common sense in this if he has already taken a greater value of goods.

7. Rhapsody_Prime

Rhapsody_Prime ...such Heroic Nonsence.

Can you spend 50,000 from the beautiful interior of prison? I'm a sure you could, but wouldn't want to. Therefor why would this kid just turn himself in? Authorities will catch him eventually, and then he will get a zero thousand dollar reward and become somebody's "girlfriend".

End of Line

8. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    LOL!!!
    A filthy hypocrite eh?
    Please enlighten me how this douche bag is like robin hood.
    From what I read, I never gathered that he and little John are breaking in to king John's gold reserve and sharing that wealth to the poor peasents that have been oppressed by the sheirff.

He is a common crook that is stealing from people for the fun of it and by making a movie about it pracically condons his actions by romantisies it.

9. Biotoakid

Biotoakid I've never been wrong

News Credits:
    Jesse James FTW

10. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm not sure how I feel about this. It's a pretty insane idea, but if it works, and it ends up saving more than $50,000 on catching him, and saves more than that in the property he stole, I'd think it has some merit. Seems... distasteful for a criminal to visibly profit for his crimes though.

11. SAF7

SAF7 LOVE this game!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, Robin Hood might not have been the best example (it can be a good example, depending on your views, but not the best).

Now, if he had watched any of the numerous movies about John Dillinger, the most recent of course being last year's Public Enemies, then the 'hypocrite' claim would be much stronger.

Oh, and yeah, offering an award to the guy is really stupid, and the only way it would work is if the kid was even dumber than whoever came up with this (which is highly unlikely, given his success in evading capture).

12. rattrap007

News Credits:
    isn't there somes sort of law that prevents criminals from making money based on their crimes? Like a murder can't write a book and make money from it's publications. All that money would go to the victim's family/families..

13. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    from what the article mentions of the items he has already stolen, has to be valued well over 50k anyways, why would he be so stupid to turn him self him? hes already got tons of loot.

14. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    There's no law that I know of, and OJ Simpson was able to write a book about how "He didn't do it, but here's how it would have happened" (which may be a different case since he wasn't convicted), but the profits went to the Goldman family since he already owed them a huge sum of money due to their civil suit against him.

15. rattrap007

News Credits:
    well he was found "not guilty" so he was free to do so..

16. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    What about Kevin Mitnick? He was convicted for hacking, now he does computer security work. Would that be considered profiting from his crimes, even if he's not profiting from the exact crime he was convicted for?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Mitnick

17. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Riiigghhtttt. I predict he will be caught by getting stuck trying to squeeze down a chimney or through an air vent in his underwear.

18. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

The whole rob from the rich and give to the poor bit came in after the story was given the 15th century equivalent of the "Hollywood treatment."

19. rattrap007

News Credits:
    That is a bit different. His was a somewhat minor offense. Like the guy from Catch Me if You Can (based on real guy) and Neal Caffrey on White Collar (fictional so sue me), all three have criminal expertise. They are used by companies and the government in order to make getting away with the crimes more difficult and try to prevent it all together. Kinda like the saying "It takes a thief to catch a thief".

Same with the show It Takes a Thief. Two ex-B&E criminals have reformed and had a show where they get permission to rob the people to show them the weak spots in their home security and then give the home owner a security makeover.

It isn't so much "profiting" from their crimes as it is getting a job to stop other crimes like yours. You are doing good works.

Profiting from one's crime would be if I rob a bank or kill someone then sell the story to a writer for a cut of the profits on the book/movie. Or if I do a paid interview on Dateline. That money would go to victims or charity by law.

I think the law may only apply to murder though..

20. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Ok, but then why would a watching a 'Hollywood" version of the story, based on the "Rob from the rich" treatment make me a hypocrite. I havent seen any other version of robin hood.