Crime shows and tastes

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by jorod74, Dec 15, 2008.

1. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i guess what tastes good to one, may taste like crap to another, but when it comes to crime shows these days it is more like one person likes cheesecake A, but can't stomach cheesecake B.

With my family, my parents love The Closer.
    reasons why? She's clever, creative, she is a bit batty and flawed, a nutjob and she has a quirky relationship with her unit.

They DESPISE Psych, Monk or Burn Notice.
    reasons why? i have no clue because all of the reasons why they like The Closer are in these shows, too.

and they are all formulaic.

is it a generation thing?
    Psych does like to throw in references or elements that most 30 somethings zero in on instantly, but other than that, it is just another crime show.

Magnum P.I. with slackers.

anyway, just wondering about that. do you have a show you really like, know of another almost identical to it, that you can't stand?

2. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

dunno if this counts but CSI & CSI: Miami i like but CSI: New York i can't stand...

i might be in the minority that likes Horatio...

3. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I love The Wire. And if it counts as a crime show then add Veronica Mars to that list. Somewhat of a guilty pleasure.

I despise all the CSI/Law&Orders/etc

4. ZeroMayhem

ZeroMayhem Henshin a Go-Go Baby!

-Burn Notice: I really like (reminds me a bit of Cowboy Bebop with a dash of A-Team) and I make a point to catch all the new ones.

-Psych: I like, it's a very light show. Like the "frosting" equivalent of crime shows. I'll catch it now and then.

-Monk: Just doesn't do it for me. I just find that level of OCD more annoying then interesting I guess.

I've never seen the Closer, nor the Wire. I don't like any of the CSIs. Law&Order SVU I'll leave on, Criminal Intent not so much, don't watch L&O "Classic". I've come to actually like NCIS a fair bit. I'm sure it's due to USA running multi-hour blocks of the damn thing. At first it was just background noise as I worked, but I've found myself actually enjoying it somewhat. Mark Harmon factor in effect?!

5. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

Law and Order: SVU! It's definitely a guilty pleasure of mine.

Concerning real crime shows, though, nothing is better than The First 48. It's awesome.

6. Tim Formas

Tim Formas Old Man Administrator

News Credits:
    I actually like New York the best, but still have all three on my DVR. Miami is a different beast than the other two. It's not good in the sense that the others are good, but still finds its way. While the story drives Vegas and New York more, Miami is so over the top that it's comical...from Caruso's acting (Sunglasses of Justice!) to the over the top storylines.

7. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    I used to be all about some Law & Order, but to me it's like the Simpsons now where it should have been put out of its misery long ago. It doesn't help that the two offspring are more popular than the original to the point where you can turn on the TV and some channel out there is playing the "Doink Doink."

Now my guilty pleasure is NCIS. Sure the crimes can be pretty hokey and out-there as far as realism, but I'm a big Mark Harmon fan and I dig the dialog.

8. soundwave86

soundwave86 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    SVU is the tits!

9. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

i actually watch Cold Case Files, American Justice, and Forensic Files alot...once in a while i'll watch The First 48

10. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    I just started getting into Monk on DVD after avoiding it for so long. It's pretty good actually, formulaic at times too, but it's more about the dialogue and Shalhoub and Levine's acting than the detective/cop stuff. But I hated like Father Dowling Mysteries, or Murder She Wrote, Columbo, all those kind of shows that are like Monk I guess.

I was way into CSI Miami for a season or so about 4 years ago, but in a totally ironic way. Horatio is insane, and just gets more and more Batmany as the show goes on, it's ridiculous. To me though there is a point where it was a show that took itself kind of seriously, to whatever it has now become where H is faking his death to catch drug lords and that's allowed, and is also the toughest guy in Miami somehow. And I hate that show. I've never liked CSI NY either, it was awful from the first episode.

Law & Order proper and SVU are ok if there is nothing else on, though SVU is the most hamfisted of all of them. Ice T and Munch are only on that show anymore to provide wikipedia dialogue, it's pretty laughable. "Oh yeah, that poisonous plant the killer used is only grown in a nursery in the Bronx - I know this because I drive by there on my way to work everyday - DUH DUH!". Law & Order proper is pretty bad right now too, although I like the new DA dude (Batman's dad) and the white cop - Anthony Anderson is awful in everything except for Me, Myself and Irene though. Of those two, given a choice, I'll watch proper 9 times out of 10. HOWEVER, I HATE Criminal Intent, it treats me like a moron by revealing who the killer is in like the first 2 seconds, then I have to pretend to give a crap how Goren is going to go all psycho and catch the baddies for the next 45 minutes. It's Law & Order for the ADD crowd or something, it drives me nuts. Bleh.

11. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Its strange how despite just how formulaic these sows are, they're ultimately ruled by personal taste over actual content.

I can tolerate the CSIs or Criminal Minds, but I can't stand NCIS, Numbers, and The Unit.

I like Psych, Burn Notice, and Monk, but will not watch The Closer, Saving Grace, or any Law & Order.

There is no real reason other than a general for liking one over the other because like the OP said, they're essentially all the same.

12. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

No it's more of a combination of how the character is written and who's playing him. Psych's main character is a manipulative douche bag. And not very likeable because of it (the combination of how he's written and the asshat who plays him are why I hate the show). Monk for certain people can be unlikeable too. I hate CSI:Miami soley because of David Caruso. Can't stand him. And yet the characters of Horatio Caine, Gil Grissom, and Mac Taylor are identical in most ways.

13. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

Uh oh, yer in trouble now!

14. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I've liked Criminal Minds since they replaced Gideon. I hate all Law & Orders and CSI: NY and CSI: Miami suck gargantuan balls. I actually really like regular CSI, though.

I don't watch a lot of crime shows, anyway.

15. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

I really like the first two law and orders but I merely tolerate Criminal Intent

I always think of Shawn as Axel Foley with an extreme perception gimmick

16. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

Those are awesome too.

Not really a crime show, but has anyone seen Dr. G: Medical Examiner? Great stuff.

17. soundwave86

soundwave86 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I cant stand any CSI's.

18. Omega Supreme V

Omega Supreme V I protect those I care 4

Use to watch all the CSI's but now not so much...just doesn't peak my interest.

I do however like Psych, Leverage, Monk, Burn Notice, LIFE, Bones - because of/or either the actors, writing, and just the story. I love LIFE because of the actors, the whole Zen thing - I get.
    I occasionally watch Criminal Minds & NCIS, but don't make it a point to watch it every time it's on. Numbers, The Unit, and The Mentalist are alright, but fall in this same category.

Saving Grace & The Closer - I never really have watched them..it's hard to catch them on TNT because I hardly ever go to that channel

Law & Order I can't really stand, I'll leave it on in the background, but I'm not too fond of watching it..

did I miss anything?

19. Fiy

Fiy Alien Velociraptor

News Credits:
    I like to watch quite a few of the crime shows. The one I watch are NCIS, CSI: NY, Bones, The Closer and Numb3rs.

I don't have any that I don't like.

20. GW_Freak

GW_Freak Banned

Justice Shades FTW!