Creator of MST3K Kickstarting new season!

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Paladin, Nov 10, 2015.

1. grimlock_king25

grimlock_king25 Hail to the king, baby

Twitter:
    So far I've watched the first 3 episodes and It's great. I love the updates which I don't want to discuss yet because Joel said not to until they are on Netflix.

2. rattrap007

rattrap007 One meme mutha f’er TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    They are on Netflix now.

Watching the first episode. Fairly good. New voices and stuff take a little getting used too. One odd thing is Servo flys across the screen several times. Gypsy comes down from the ceiling drops off what looks like a cooler, then goes back up. The third time Servo goes out across the screen was pointless. He fly out and up towards the middle of the screen the flys up and off the screen only for him to pop up in the chair again. It makes no sense and was pointless. Lots of little bits seem to be done to say "Look at this flashy thing we can do"

Don't get me wrong it is a decentshow, but Rifftrax and old MST3k are miles better. They are Filet Mignon and this is a solid Tbone or NY Strip. Still a good thing, just not top of the line.

Also guess we will get cameos a lot. Wil Wheaton is in the opening of the first ep.

3. rattrap007

News Credits:
    Ok just starting movie #2. Kid knows Bigfoot.

One really odd bit. Starts out the kid(about 10yo) is away at some boarding school. Teacher finds him looking at a bigfoot statue while at a museum. Kid tells the guy about he met Bigfoot over the summer while staying with his park ranger father. The teacher basically looses his **** and threatens to send him to the principal. When the kid refuses to take back what he said the teacher says the kid is going to see the principal in the morning and be expelled. WTF? Expelled for say he met Bigfoot? Seriously? God this film is dumb.

• Like Like x 1
  4. grimlock_king25

Twitter:
    Ok so since it's now on Netflix I can share my thoughts.
    First the new host Jonah. I like him. Not as much as either Joel or Mike but I like him. I like The Mads too, Clay and Frank were the best Mads so it's nice that they went for something similar.
    Now the voices.
    Crow- No problem here. Sounds exactly like Crow should.
    Tom- It's ok. Maybe I just like Kevin Murphy's Tom too much.
    Gypsy- Ok so even though I like her new voice it's still hard to get used to her not sounding like a bad Mickey Mouse impression.
    Now puppetry. Their arms move! Just this adds so much more life to the bots. I also like seeing them move around in the theater and doing lots of visual gags. There are silhouettes so they may as well do visual gags. It sets it apart from audio only riffs like Rifftrax.
    Last the riffing of course. It's really good. Also Gypsy pops in sometimes to get in a riff. I like this, her riffs are pretty funny. She has improved since Hercules and the Captive Women.
    Overall this is a great comeback. It makes improvements while still keeping the charm of the original. Hope to see more seasons.

5. Switchblade

Switchblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Watched the first episode today and I absolutely loved it. There was one riff in particular about halfway through the film that had me cracking up for about two minutes.

6. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Been enjoying it. I kept watching the credits like a hawk looking for my name. Finally found it midway through the episodes.
    I've been enjoying it.
    It was nice to see
    Pearl, Bobo, and brain guy
    in episode 2 and others.
    Though I wonder how they are going to get out of what happens to
    Jonah
    in episode 14
    Will we get another new test subject next season?
    I love the new budget for the props and skits. Not to mention the fun cameo bits with guest stars.
    It's a good continuation and fits pretty well with the old series.
    Hope we get a season 2.

7. rattrap007

News Credits:
    I thought first episode was ok. Maybe it was the new vibe took getting used to. Second one i enjoyed more. Third one just had a hilarious joke that cracked me up.

Creepy guy hits on girl. She invites him back to her place.
    "See you at ten?" - Girl
    "Just try and stop me." - Creepy guy
    "That is what mace is for.." - Crow

8. BattleUpSaber

BattleUpSaber Result.

News Credits:

9. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime Unlikeable dry-skinned biped

Looks like I renewed my Netflix subscription at just the right time. I'll gladly be checking this show out.

Oh, and my favorite classic MST ep: Time of the Apes. That shit was freaking hilarious, especially all the jokes about throwing feces...

10. rattrap007

News Credits:
    Ok episode four just had a hilarious visual gag..
    Crow and Servo move over to the left side with remote controllers and down come two giant drones. The slowly lower and the camera angle changes to have them covering a topless woman's breasts. Then they cover her naked ass as she walks out the door and then crash.
    Caught me by surprise and made me laugh big time.

11. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I'm four shows in even though I'm a backer and got the downloads.

I'm loving the new season. I watched the show with a clean slate with no nostalgia goggles on. New cast, new vibe. And most importantly not to take anything seriously. Especially the movie in episode 2. It's an early 80s movie that was targeted for kids.

I love that Tom can hover and Crow can move around. It adds more interaction to the movies.

From what I see, like each new host. The episodes got more refined. Compare Joel's KTMA episodes to his final season. Or Mike's first few episodes to the final SciFi channel season.

12. rattrap007

News Credits:
    I hope if they do more seasons they will add some shorts. Those were always great.

13. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    One thing laughable about the episode four movie that didn't need riffing.

The shear incompetence of the first responders. People where better off with the avalanche than having these guys save them.

• Like Like x 1
  14. rattrap007

News Credits:
    Wait till you see Starcrash! I gave not laughed at the ineptitude of a movie since The Room or Birdemic. I laughed more at the film than the riffs at times. Italian Star Wars knock off that has Hasselhoff about half way through. Scenes make no sense and jump from one thing to another. Not sure if that is editing for the episode or the way it is normally.

Also i am beginning to think the silhouettes are cgi now especially when the bots move across the screen. Gypsy is the same everytime and too fluid. Tom flying across the screen then popping back up in his spot. Plus i hear that for theater scenes the riffs are prerecorded not done all at one big group.

The bots moving around the screen happens a little too much if you ask me. There are times it works, like Tom trying to move a lever in Time Travellers or push the rocket up. But other times it is pointless and distracting.

15. grimlock_king25

Twitter:
    Crow climing up on the seats looked like stop motion to me. I could be wrong but regardless there is probably CGI in there somewhere but they use it well.

16. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime Unlikeable dry-skinned biped

Ok, watched the first ep today.
    LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT

The cheapo look is still there. It took me all of 5 minutes to get used to the slightly different voices and new characters. After that it was like the same experience again. I loved all the song references (Movin' Right Along! :D  Wonderful, wonderful Copenhagen! :D )
    They picked a good movie too; man Reptilicus is BAAAAAD.

17. rattrap007

News Credits:
    Wait till you see more. Reptillicus is a weak entry compared to the others. Cry Wilderness and Starcrash are far better. They are bonkers insane.

Also is anyone else playing "guess the stinger moment". I was dead on with reptillicus. Been wrong on the others though. With Hollow mountai i expected the dino eating the cow. That had the wonderfully absurd claymation.

18. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Just watched Starcrash and it ranked up there as one of the top episodes this season.

If I had watched it first without the MST3K treatment, I would have said "WTF did I just watched?!"

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  19. rattrap007

News Credits:
    I said that even WITH the MST3k treatment.

Easily one of the great episodes this season.

So far the worst of the season for me is the Hercules one. Never cared much for the sword and sandals ones. To me it is the only dud episode. Reptilicus is weak, but enjoyable.

Of the 10 i've watched thus far the best ones are:
    Star Crash
    Cry Wilderness
    Yongary
    Land that Time Forgot
    Wizards of the Lost kingdom

20. MST3KFan

MST3KFan Master of the Obvious

News Credits:
    So far I've watched the first two episodes. First one...Repltilicus...was okay. They didn't really seem to rip on it a lot. The song bit was pretty cool though.

Second movie Cry Wilderness felt more like the MST3K I remember. A cheesy 80s movie with an annoying kid that refuses to listen to adults and the jokes came out fast and hard. Especially love the callbacks to "The Final Sacrifice" and a few other movies from the older MST3K stuff. Also, the cameos of some of the old crew!

I'd say about the only thing right now I really would like to see change is maybe the opening intro. Like I kind of miss when they did the Robot Rollcall showing the robots and their names slide underneath them.