Creative variants?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Nightrain, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    I almost started a thread about wanting Takara to make a variant Masterpiece line similar to what Square does with Play Arts Kai. Then it occurred to me that maybe there's some third party stuff like that. Are there any particularly creative takes on the major characters? Designs that aren't just ripped out of cartoons and such.

2. MaddChiLLMitch

MaddChiLLMitch SG Decepticon

Great thread idea!
    I always appreciated Takara's crossovers with Pepsi, BAPE, Evangelion, etc.

I feel like KFC gets a bad rep, but does some really clever paint job/homages as well like their Sencho Barbossaa aka Captain Shark.
    I would love to see a 3P company like Maketoys do a Gundam homage using their Hyper Novae aka Nova Prime.

A great idea, that may not do well in non-Western markests would be 3P figures painted up as Universal Monsters like Frankenstein's Monster!

3. Honesty

Honesty honestly, Honesty!

There isn't much money on "original stuff." We wouldn't have 3rd party if that was the case, as everything they would make would be original stuff.

If you're interested in an original creative take on things, there is the (former Transformers artist) Don Figueroa figure and story line: Armarauders

If you're interested in "original" takes of existing characters, MakeToys has a CrossDimension line coming out soon. You'll find those figures here in their respective threads.

Also, if you are not into the IDW comic books, I would recommend them: they do not share anything except small similarities to their old G1/198X selves (save for their names and some homage to their looks/personalities) --

We rarely get super comic accurate figures from HasTak (most are cheap, hollow and don't look like them enough or too many liberties were taken with cost cutting, making it child safe and cost effective for the consumer); save for some nice figures like Gen Springer/Sandstorm and other voyager figures like that. MMC is currently finishing up the rest of the DJD and Overlord and has some other juicy IDW stuff in the works.

4. Tfan12

Tfan12 Well-Known Member

several 3P use studio ox designs for their products

5. redrum2581

redrum2581 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    wasn't FP Glacierlord(sp/name) and Steel Core original ideas, while not MP figures they were def original, and as for original take on existing figures its been pointed out the GT J4ZZ is almost an original take on Jazz as his aesthetics are only homage by IDW and G1 Jazz and is for all intense purposes "MP" in style though not MP bcuz he isn't a G1 ripoff which is tech required to be a "MP" for now.....MP BW are on the rise.....

6. spot138

spot138 Proud Gee-Wunner!!!

Ebay:
    For what its worth, I've always wanted a green and white Mirage (by extension: Sphinx) and a solid Black and white one as well.

7. spot138

spot138 Proud Gee-Wunner!!!

Ebay:
    Also: I've always wanted a brown Ironhide with a yellow stripe. Don't ask me why because I have no idea.

8. alex1984

alex1984 Well-Known Member

The Alternator and Alternity lines were kinda like that. As are the Play Station OP and Sega Genesis Megs. I for one loved the Samurai Megs from Alternity.

9. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Ok thanks. All I'm really looking for I guess is stuff that isn't just a recreation of a cartoon or the original toy. This is definitely what I had in mind Make Toys - MTCD-01 - Striker Manus

10. harveydent

harveydent Unknown Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Based on the Play Arts Kai Variant designs, especially the Final Fantasy Batman one (which I own and love), what you're asking for is essentially... Bayverse. Spiky, armored, alternate universe Transformers.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Attached Files:

11. Deceptimatrix

Deceptimatrix Warrior Elite

So like a Machine Wars deco? Or a more vibrant green? I could get behind that

12. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Yes and no. I do very much want some sort of masterpiece line of the movies. But besides that I'd like to have what Prime 1 is doing, but not cost $1000.

13. Haydenite

Haydenite Ratchet Joints

There are stuff similar to Kai arts stuff for transformers.
    But it's never gonna be the same since Kai Arts work revolve around non-transforming figures.
    But anyway...
    There's the Oritoys Hero of Steel Optimus.
    Super articulated and anime-deformed/stylized.
    Ultimatel Prime or Magnus

14. twelvesam

twelvesam Animated Jumpstarter

Ebay:
    The monster was us all along! :eek: