Creative Labs Disables FM Recording On MP3 Players

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Joe Moore, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Creative Labs' Zen players offered the ability to record FM radio directly to the device. A feature prominantly advertised directly on the box. Now they have added a firmware update for the Zen MicroPhots and the Zen Vision: M that completely disables the feature.

http://www.boingboing.net/2006/10/17/creative_labs_shafts.html
    http://www.uninnovate.com/2006/10/11/newest-creative-zen-visionm-music-player-upgrade-disables-fm-recording/

Basically, don't update your firmware or you have an advertised feature that you paid for stolen away from you. Classic bait and switch.

2. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Wow, that's impressively retarded. I remember owning a MuVo (Nomad? something like that) a while back and really enjoying that recording feature. That's a nice selling point and now they're removing it? Boo.

3. TSFC

TSFC Banned

Gee, a cheap, legal, and easy way to get music and they want to take it away? Nice. Watch, they'll make it so you have to upgrade the firmware.

4. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    If you're using it like you always were, how exactly would they do that?

5. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

There's music on FM radio worth recording?

6. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

^^That's about what I was going to say. I've never used the FM recorder on my Zen though. That's what my Satellite radio is for. I can't even remember the last time I listened to terrestrial radio at all.

Sucks though.

7. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Ah well, no biggie here . Im one of those fools who still buys cd's.
    If it's on FM then Im probably too sick of hearing it so much to even want it.
    FM burns songs out like crazy.

Still hearing that damn 'Mother ' Song by Danzig everywhere, wish it would die.

8. TSFC

TSFC Banned

They may say it doesn't work with Vista, or a Service Pack of some sort, etc. People out there will believe it, upgrade and lose the feature.

9. Wing alpha

Wing alpha <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

you know ...I like my anime cd's and used cd's to much and then rip them. so who cares.

10. Turbocharger

Turbocharger We should get more letter

Wait....so I can record the Nelson and Terry show directly on the air!?!? I NEED THIS MP3 PLAYER!

11. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    That sucks. I have only used that function once but I always liked that it was there.

The one time I used it was on a talk radio program that had a guest coming on I wanted to hear but they where going to be on when I was working and couldn’t listen to the radio.

12. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

Seconded (even though I use it for work and listen to only rock). At least I'm happy with my Minidisc player and rarely buy CDs.

13. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    I buy CDs and download music most of the time, and listen to it on my iPod when it is connected to my aftermarket stereo in my truck. I listen to FM too, but MOST of the local stations just suck eggs.

I HAD a Zen Nomad Jukebox and Zen Micro. Creative, in my opinion, is the second best if not the best overal MP3 player manufacturer. I love my iPod, but for sheer volume and support Creative has Apple beat. It is unfortunate, though, that they are disabling one critical feature that sets their players apart from the iPod. It must be due to "legal" reasons.

14. ambushbug74

ambushbug74 Stroke me, Stroke me! TFW2005 Supporter

The only time I thought to use this feature was to record the local talk station, but it only records 10 minutes, so it's not worth it. Still cool that the Vision M comes with a built in tuner, not like the iPod that requires a $50 plug in to do the same.

15. ambushbug74

I know this is a zombie thread, but just wanted to add something new. Creative has released a new firmware update that will reinstate the FM recording feature. I think it is update 1.60. I updated mine last night and tested to make sure, and it still records. I hadn't upgraded since 1.30. Figured if this was a reason that people avoided the Creative Zen, they now know the feature is back.

16. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Good, even though it something I only used once I wasn’t happy about the idea of not having it there should I want to use it again so I haven’t been updating.

17. ambushbug74

Personally, I have never used it, but it is nice to know they fixed their goof up. I wish there was a fix so that I could watch any video clip and not have to start from the begining of each one. I hate that if you switch to another video in the middle of another one, you gotta start from begining of the original one if you want to go back to it. I know the iPod video is set up to let you pick up on any video at anyplace you left it at.

18. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    I have a muvo mp3 player which has the fm recording, but I could never get it to work.

I listen to kaos radio 99.5 all the time, they play great music :) 

The only songs I have on my mp3 player are the ones I ripped from my CD's which are also the same type of music kaos plays