Customs: creative block

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by mattarmstrong, Jul 31, 2009.

1. mattarmstrong

mattarmstrong Well-Known Member

I have 2 1/144 gundams that transform built a 3rd that doesnt but I am trying to mod it so it does and 2 more to build to get all 5 for my attempt at a gundam combiner. But I am stuck in a rut and creative block and apathy since I work so dang much 2 jobs right now I just dont have any time to devote. How do you all deal with this type of rut so to speak. HELP I need reenergized.

2. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Dude, I know the feeling. I don't get as much time as I'd like to with my customs and it usually results in my work being delayed for months (some even a year). I'm actually in between jobs at the moment, I moved up to GA back in October, and I've been helping my fiancee take care of her father to chemotherapy (he has cancer). On top of that, we help do the grocery shopping, household work, and take care of 3 dogs on top of that (so I stay pretty busy most of the time). During free time, I work on customs and projects or if I'm not in the mood for that, I'll play some videogames for a bit (usually Gears of War 2, Killzone 2, or some old Dreamcast stuff--have tons of US and Japanese games I play).

You may need to just take a short break and come back to it all fresh. I've done this a few times--I don't necessarily get a block, I just get busy, then I lose that motivation I had and need to find it again. Just kick back and think of ideas, plan them out some, and do what you need to do first, then come back and give 'em a go. If you're blocked and can't think of something to do, that's the best time to step away from it all for a bit and focus on other things. Once you come back to it, I'm sure you'll have ideas flowing and be ready to tackle them.

Another thing that helps me is to search the galleries here and on other forums, see what everyone has done, then check out any other reference material (for me, Visual Works, The Ark I & II, and the MTMTE guidebooks--along with fan art). That gives you time to check out all the cool stuff out there by the pros and by your fellow artists AND it could spark ideas that will get you motivated again.

Good luck, man--it's tough to stay focused when you're busy a lot, so I can definitely sympathize with you.

3. mattarmstrong

mattarmstrong Well-Known Member

hey thanks your response gives me some stuff to think about