Creating the definitive cartoon continuity list

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Niv3k, Aug 22, 2017.

1. TFFan01

TFFan01 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    According to TFWiki, 2007 movie was once included as part of JG1 in an official japanese website once but it's been since ignored.
    Misconceptions and urban legends about Transformers - Transformers Wiki

2. Awesomepow

Awesomepow Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Prime and RB is the PRID continuity.As for Q3,they're more like singular Spinoffs.

And the bee movie is before TF1,not after TF5.And Gobots is after G2 and before G3.

3. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Beast Wars was sort of supposed to be like that anyway, as it had sort of a vague idea of G1 as the setting's history, but not really choosing between the comics or the show, etc.

Anyway, yeah, I don't think the shows are too concerned about continuity with G1 internally. But externally, that all gets weird with Takara's official timelines and retcons.

4. Niv3k

Niv3k 'Fe Li Na'

News Credits:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Thanks! And I assume Robotmastes is after all the other Japanese G1 and BW series?

Is this logo available anywhere? I can't seem to find it, but it would be cool to have.

Thanks! As for the Bee movie, I won't place it before TF1 because we don't know if there is a scene/scenes that are after TF5 or someting.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Awesomepow

News Credits:
    :) 

And Niv,I think I'll make one too.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2017
  6. Niv3k

Niv3k 'Fe Li Na'

News Credits:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Cool, let me know when you're done :) 

• Like Like x 1
  7. Awesomepow

News Credits:
    Done.:) 

• Like Like x 1
  8. Niv3k

Niv3k 'Fe Li Na'

News Credits:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Updated!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Niv3k

Niv3k 'Fe Li Na'

News Credits:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Added Transformers: Cyber Missions

• Like Like x 1
  10. kary

kary Karyuudo Fansubs

Well, since it's a merged universe it could take place at anytime, but it does borrow characters from several timelines.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Arvegtor

Arvegtor Aerialbot

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    Several possible additions/edits to the list.
    *The Transformers PSAs happened either during season 2 or right after it.
    *QTF also had season 3, where Arcee promoted upcoming (at that time) Masterpiece Optimus Primal toy and Beast Wars in general.
    *Transformers Beginnings motion comic was one of extras sold with the first Baymovie and happens before it.
    *How to Ride Your Dinobot is kind of an alternative to Age of Extinction.
    *Optimus Prime vs Megatron is a recap of entire Unicron Trilogy.
    *There are other stand alone short series, such as BeCool, Construct-Bots, Universe and Kre-O. Oh, and BotCon shorts.
    *Go! replaces season 3 of Prime, not just the movie.

Speaking of Aligned, there was another Robots in Disguise series connected to the Universe online game. It wasn't published officially, but the first 3 episodes still exist and can be found. And the Japanese version of Prime had additional animated shorts Micron Theater.

Some of IDW G1 comics were animated by Madefire (Autocracy, Monstrosity, MtMtE, RiD, Punishment), so they can also be placed here.
    There's also Beast Wars Diorama Story, but I've never seen it (except for Motorarm chapter), so can't tell anything about its place in the system.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Niv3k

Niv3k 'Fe Li Na'

News Credits:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Thanks for the amazing input @kary and @Arvegtor! I will update the list accordingly. I haven't even heard about some of those cartoons. The voice acting of Frank Welker is amazing in those unreleased episodes of Transformers: Universe (online).

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  13. BumblebeeFan71

BumblebeeFan71 Loyal Starscream Follower

Actually, funny enough, Japan made their version of Animated take place in the same continuity as the Movies. They tried to connect them by I believe having Optimus talk more stoically, renaming Bulkhead to Ironhide, and other things. Which I find strange, why did they try to place Animated in the same continuity as the movies? It creates giant plot holes such as how Cybertron is okay, Jazz being alive, Megatron not being in the ocean, etc.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Agamus

Agamus Not an Iguana

Starscream's episode was veeeery explicitly tied to the cartoon continuity

15. Altered Prime

Altered Prime Well-Known Member

Actually if you follow the story Starscream gave you can see how it actually doesn't explicitly Tyser the cartoon continuity

true enough he could've been lieing, but that only proves more to the fact that this was extremely vague in the connections to the cartoon series

16. flamepanther

Sort of. But since they'd never been used anywhere else, any mention of Primus or the Ark and Nemesis (by name) are explicitly tied to the Marvel comics continuity. We also know "word of god" that the main writers didn't consider BW's past to be 1:1 identical to any version of G1 (although they each had their preference). Knowing their intentions, we don't do their work any favors by trying to jam it into one or the other.

It's stated in the same story that Starscream was lying. However, the "truth" that was revealed is vague enough that it could be from the Marvel adaptation of TF:TM for all we know.

17. Agamus

Agamus Not an Iguana

Nothing to do with the version of events he recounted, he only became an immortal ghost-spark in the cartoon continuity. [Edit: I almost forgot to say, but Blacharachnia called out his lie by saying that in their history records Galvatron was the one who Killed SS, which is a cartoon continuity thing only (unless you count the Marvel adaptation of the movie)]
    The Nemesis never landed on Earth in the Marvel comics, it stayed cloaked in orbit until it got blown up for target practice in "Target: 2006". Granted it could be ambiguous as to which Ark or Primus was being referenced, but really only because they were effectively identical for the purposes of Beast Wars.

For me the real cincher is that, possibly with the exception of the Prowl generic in Beast Machines, all the G1 characters were in their cartoon decos. Megatron in particular has is cartoon silver helmet as opposed to his black one from the comics.

18. flamepanther

The "immortal spark" thing is a retcon. Sparks hadn't even been thought of. He was just a ghost. Starscream abruptly showed up as a ghost in Sunbow season 3 without any explanation. Any other version of Starscream that's died could abruptly show up later as a ghost too. Having that happen doesn't mean it's set in Sunbow continuity any more than religious references to Primus mean it's set in the Marvel continuity.
    Well sure. Fortunately, my argument is not that Beast Wars adheres to the events of the comics. My argument is that it doesn't strictly adhere to any previous G1 continuity, but borrows elements from them. Borrowing the idea of the ships being named "Ark" and "Nemesis" doesn't require that the exact same set of events happened to them.

19. Altered Prime

Altered Prime Well-Known Member

Excuse me he lied about the way he died
    as far as we know
    It's a multi-verse so it could've happened and many other continuities and then there's also the possibility that stars ghost I can travel to different continuities
    it's also a marvel UK thing considering the time traveling Galvatrons that they employed in their stories
    that's not completely correct yes in the UK books the ship was destroyed but in the US box shockwave parked parked the ship at the bottom of the ocean when he confronted the Dinobot's and was using the The ship as a base during the Deceptacon Civil War
    really? When is the last time you saw the episode of beast wars that featured Starscream's ghost?

Rewatch Starscream is clearly in his comic book deco head

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Agamus

Agamus Not an Iguana

That's stretching...
    How? Do you mean to say Beast Wars takes place in one of the UK future timelines? Working on established canon, Starscream was never killed by Galvatron in the main timeline, only explicitly in Galvatron I's and implicitly in Galvatron II's and III's timelines. He even outlived Galvatron in RG1 and seemingly in G2, although we never saw a body.
    I just looked this up and according to the TFWiki there's a contradiction on where the ark Nemesis ended up, so... yeah, point to you there I guess. Still doesn't really give credence either way, same as with the ark this just means the two ships are effectively identical.
    Huh. I only got a good look at him him from behind, during the false flashback, but on google images the shot of him possessing Waspinator does show his Marvel feet and an...arguably Marvel head? He was usually colored with a mostly or entirely black/blue head and face in Marvel G1, and that crest is different to both. Who knows if this was intentional, unintentional, or just a nod to comics fans, but, still, that's one, possibly two, exceptions to what is otherwise a rule, and even beyond that Startscream being an immortal ghost/spark is almost exclusively a G1 cartoon trait in official canon.
    hqdefault.jpg Starscream-G1MT.jpg 0.jpg Marvel Starscream 1600 x 1200.jpg caaf7c3f63c37ba228758821a71b06f7.jpg