3D Artwork: creating my own alternator

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by Mike, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    welp, 3D studio max 8 trial version just came out recently, so I downloaded it. w00t! 30 days to play :) 

I never made a car before in 3D but I thought I would try my hand at making my own alternator. a cookie to who can guess what kind of car it's gonna be :)  (colors aren't finalized)

[​IMG]

2. Quintesson #1

Quintesson #1 Eater of Fuzzy Stuff

A turquoise car! :D 

>.>

<.<

3. Wreckie

Wreckie Holder of the Discomatrix

Ebay:
    Very promising start, keep going!

4. Cobra_Commander

Cobra_Commander Master of tactics TFW2005 Supporter

looks pritty good, hope to see it finished soon :D  andany idea what kind of car its going to be?

5. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Hecho en Argentina

News Credits:
    "Lo que empieza bien termina bien"- I like to say that and it fits to your desing. :thumbs2: 

6. Mr Ray

Mr Ray Well-Known Member

hmm, a bmw?
    looking forward to seeing more :D 

7. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    actually it's suppose to be a nissan skyline GTR but I messed up and I was trying to model it the wrong way

this is the first time I've ever tried making a car in 3D, I've only stuck to box modeling before this, and im still learning, so im gonna scrap this and start something else

I am going about modeling by using quad patches, and I didn't know you could select the edge of a patch and add patches on to those edges, I was just making each piece seperate and trying to line them all up, but it wasn't working out too well. last night I learned how to subdivide the patches and add on quad patches to my existing pieces, that way everything will flow a lot nicer, and I won't have gabs and errors I was trying to hide in my first go about :p 

actually, I might just pick a different car too, something more simple, and easier to model. I have a 1:18 model `69 charger too, so I might give that a try. but I need some more practise first, and I need to learn how to weld my edges together, but I don't know how to do that yet.

guess I should have learned this stuff before trying to make a transformer lol

8. Mr Ray

Mr Ray Well-Known Member

9. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    thanks bud. that will be a lot easier then trying to model it not using any blue prints at all like I did before.

but still, I can't get the hang of modeling air intakes and stuff. like you know the front bumper for instance, I can get the shape of the bumpers, but then trying to make the air intakes. I'm not really sure how to go about that :( 

10. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    ok ok ok, so I think im starting to get the hang of this hear, I actually got most of the front end of the car modeled! the front end is gonna split into two, that's why it looks kinda funny, I just stuck it together for now, and instead of trying to make a real car, I just made one up, and invented the peices as I went along, that way if I mess up it, still looks good :p 

[​IMG]