Customs: creating hinges with styrene?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Megatron31, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    i was crusing trought the tutorials but didnt see what i was after which is leading me to think. A no one has tried, or B it doesnt work.

now i understand the basics of drill a hole round off the edges put a pin through it and bam you have a hinge, this i have done before and works great

how what i am wanting to do is not so much a hinge in the traditional sense
    but one where a piece slides. think a collapsable leg like the classics seeker mold.

any of you guys ever messed with that idea

2. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    You mean telescoping legs? I haven't built any personally, but after studying the internal parts associated with them, it's something that can be done. You'd just need to build a channel for the upper leg to slide up and down inside of the lower leg. You'd also probably need some sort of resistance to keep the leg pulled out in bot mode (something like the small spring pieces that help "lock" the legs into place on the original bots with these types of legs). I'm guessing you can build the small piece with styrene and simply use a small piece of spring from a ballpoint pen glued to it to help it stick out to catch a groove you can cut into the styrene channel in the leg.

3. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Just a thought, has anybody tried antennas from RC models? The older ones in particular are telescoping and you might be able to find a way to mount those inside the legs in order to get the effect you want?
    I've never tried it my self, but the thought popped into my head when you mentioned telescoping.

4. Megatron31

Ebay:
    marcatron you are a dam genious

hXcpunk23 im not looking to build a leg with this technique i did a mixmaster where to form the leg mode for devastator the mixing tank and rear wheel are on a hinge that unfolds up the backso it has enough height that the cab can fold up nd make thefoot with no parts forming, but i got to thikingit would work better and look much clenerif the upper torso extended up from the waist joint for this mode,

5. Tigertrack

Well thank you, but I just wonder how you'd make the antenna work inside the body parts. You'd have to some how figure out how to attach the part that is going inside the other part, without being in the way of the telescoping antenna. That make sense?

6. Megatron31

Ebay:
    i think that is the easy part compared to the other stuff i have done with this fig inner body is hollow so if you put a pin through it so epoxy has something to rrb and do teh same thing at the bottom

7. Tigertrack

You'd need a pin that would fit the antenna. I'm also not sure if the antennas are hollow inside.

8. Megatron31

Ebay:
    they are hollow
    im thinking drill through it sideways put a pin and epoxy it inside the chest

the only reason i know that is from watching F-R's tutorial on the chrome smokestacks for leaderclass rotf prime

9. Megatron31

Ebay: