CrazyDevy CDMW-09 G1 Devastator Waist and Cement Mixer Upgrade Video Reviews

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Video Reviews' started by Optibotimus, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Optibotimus

Optibotimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
  2. CURAMEN

CURAMEN LOS ANGELES COLLECTIVE

News Credits:
    Awesome review!

I just received my set in the mail and I'm anxious to put it together later on this evening.

3. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    Got the notice from BBTS this afternoon. I'm less in a hurry to get that one than the other sets though. :) 

EDIT: Okay, after watching the review, color me underwhelmed. Yes, I'm stoked about the purple barrel (what an exciting part, eh? :p ). The shoulder thingie is useless, I don't want my Devastator with his arm stuck at that angle. I thought it was supposed to allow the arm to rotate in and out, which is not the case. As for the waist piece, it's cool to have the added articulation, but the torso now looks disjointed, it just looks strange. So right now, it looks like I'm paying $27 plus shipping for a plastic barrel. Not too sure how I feel about that. :)  Hopefully I'll change my mind when I get the set in hand.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  4. Soundwave2

Soundwave2 Excitement! My Style!!!

News Credits:
    Hey Optibot, would you happen to have any pics of him, maybe with Predaking and Bruticus side by side? During your video, I just kept staring at that "space" in his midsection, I just wanna see if it was maybe just the angle of your video camera. Overall, I really just want the purple mixer barrel and I do kind of like how the new arm extension can give it that cool pose with the rifle.

5. Optibotimus

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    ^^

So you wanna picture of him standing next to other combiners? I can do that for ya

6. Soundwave2

News Credits:
    yup, that'd be great if you can:D  Plus, thanks for the reminder I need to get that Bruticus chest piece upgrade set from reprolabels. It looks great although, I hate how I have to buy the whole set.

7. Optibotimus

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    sorry it took so long..but here's the picture next to some other combiners

[​IMG]

8. megatroptimus

News Credits:
    Ok, looks decent from that angle. Maybe he looked bad in your review because the camera was slightly too low?

9. Soundwave2

News Credits:
    yeah, that's about the angle I have mine on display, so besides it being weird that you can see his belly button, it's not as bad when looking at it from a different angle like I thought

10. Optibotimus

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    It's not really bad...most of the review, i believe, i didn't have Longhauls flap pushed up to cover the space behind him...that's the only real difference

11. Sentinel

Sentinel TF Museum Curator Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    I got my set in the mail today directly from CrazyDevy and I must say that I am very much underwhelmed. The new shoulder articulation is absolutely a fraud. The description definitely made it seem as if the piece would move in and out rather than hold the arm in a static position. The new mixing barrel is nice and offers some variety but I prefer the original color, so i really can't comment on that beyond what I've already said. The waist articulation is a disappointment as well. The pieces will not fit the original holes well at all. I don't known if it is just my figure, but I am going to try the pieces on my G2 Devy for comparison to see. Basically the waist piece just tilts the entire torso to the right and won't stay in place with the left attachment.

As was stated above, it seems I've paid my money for a decently nice mixing barrel, a moderately acceptable waist piece and a POS shoulder piece. Frankly, Devy was done after the last set and this one is pretty much unnecessary.

Optibotimus, another truly excellent review. Very informative both from your descriptions and your video skills. Nicely done yet again. I really do hope that CrazyDevy continues to have you review their sets, you do an excellent job. Very thorough.

12. Optibotimus

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    ^^

Despite your feelings towards the product...i am greatly honored to get such kind words from you regarding the review. I do agree entirely and i hopefully got that across in my review, that the shoulder bit is pretty much worthless. Unless you plan on displaying your Devastator with that tilt look on the arm. I too thought it would add articulation based on how they advertised it, even mentioning the "added" articulation description in the beginning portion of the review. That part was a total let down. I'm also sorry to hear that the waist portion didn't peg tightly enough on your figure. Is the portion that doesn't attach on the underside of Hook or the portion that pegs into Long Haul? I wonder if that is something that could be fixed with the "super glue" trick. I think the barrel portion is entirely dependent upon personal preference. I personally enjoy the look of the cartoon accuracy. But i do agree this set seems passable and not for everyone.

I again want to thank you though for the compliment on my review. Crazydevy is still sending me their products and i look forward to doing more reviews of some of their upcoming stuff. The Predaking stuff, for example, has me really excited. I hope they can really make that figure shine, much like they did with Devastator. I hopefully will do the set justice and bring to the table the best review possible on the items. If they deserve it that is ;)  haha

13. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    I love it, I love it, I love it!

/Rosco P. Coltraine

14. DoubleClouder

DoubleClouder Autobot/Decepticon

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Got mine in the mail yesterday. Just for the record all the constucticons I own. I personally bought when they were released so they are all originals. The mixing barrel is almost a little to big for Mixmaster. It looks like the figure is lightly flexing from it. I can't get the waist to peg into Long Haul correctly. The peg that fits over the cab is slightly too big. The arm piece, broke my Hook. It was a pain to get it in there, but as with the other pegs it was slightly too big and made the connection point on Hook shatter. Very disappointed in the set and super pissed my mint Hook is broken. It does have a redeeming feature, the new barrel does look good though, it's just hard to spin.

15. MethKitty

MethKitty it's about the podcast!

News Credits:
    yeah i just got this to, and am only using the mixer part, i was really let down by the waist peice, i mean it leaves such a huge gap

16. Alpha Omega Trion Supreme

Alpha Omega Trion Supreme Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    That gap is unsightly too. It ruins any cohesion the upper torso has.

My set arrived today, and underwhelmed doesn't even begin to express my dissappointment. The mixer was the least of the reasons I wanted the set, but it's the only reason to buy the set. That part of it is what it is. Can't complain about it.

Everything else in the set is a complete waste. The waist piece makes such a huge gap that's about the size of a missing constructicon, which is exactly what it looks like, like there's an important torso figure missing. I don't understand why they engineered a new bottom piece for the head assembly to connect to the rotating disc piece either. They changed the peg hole widths slightly so you can't use the original part which would have worked fine for what they were trying to do.

But the worst part of this set is the right arm connector. I too ass-u-me'd that it would allow for shoulder articulation similar to what the left arm has. The crazydevy ad definitely implied that it did too. I also hoped that it would fix the loose connection problem the right arm typically has. It does neither of these things. I was able to get mine to fit on my figures. It was much too tight on the Hook side, and just as loose on the Scavenger side. I can definitely see it breaking people's Hook figures as mentioned above. This isn't a convenient piece to detach and reattach. In fact, I recommend against doing that. Finally, the 45 degree pose it allows is essentially useless because it is so vastly inferior to the standard articulation the figure already had.

As soon as I affixed the new shoulder part and the waist part and saw how awful it made my Devastator look, I was off to the internet to see if I was missing something. I quickly found this thread, and was saddened to find out that my initial impression was correct. I quickly removed the CDMW-09 parts and put them back into the plastic tray.

I can recommend every other Devastator set Crazydevy offers as each set easily and obviously improves your G1 Devastator, especially the lower waist set(if you go to buy a set, definitely buy that one first). However, I can not recommend this set. This one was obviously a weakly thought out cash-in. Unless you want a purple mixer, avoid this set at all costs.

17. megatroptimus

News Credits:
    I really feel like cancelling my order at this point, it's still in my POL.

18. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm glad I canceled my pre-order on this. The only thing I'd be interested in now is the barrel, and it would be cheaper to just buy a junker or KO Mixmaster and paint the barrel. Oddly enough, before this review, the barrel was the part I was least interested in. :tongue: 
    Thanks for the review, it was very informative.

19. CURAMEN

CURAMEN LOS ANGELES COLLECTIVE

News Credits:
    Devastator with the shoulder, articulated waist and mixing barrel upgrades...

[​IMG]

I actually like all of them. :thumb 

20. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

After ordering 4 sets of CD addon for Devastator, this is the only set that I am still missing. Judging by the negative reaction on this thread, I will not order this just yet. Hopefully CD will correct the problems plaging the set and re-release it in the future. I will not pay $40 + shipping for a purple barrel.