Crazy weekend for sport in the UK...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tikgnat, Sep 7, 2008.

1. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Caution! Spoliers ahead! Whats happened this weekend? Well...

-Boxing, Audley Harrison and Amir Khan... Kahn in his biggest payday yet, 25 quid pay per view, and he goes down in 60 seconds. Ouch man. Thats gotta hurt. (Search youtube for 'Khan Prescott')

-F1 Hamilton storms to victory to be denied by a post race penalty? Wow, thats gotta suck.

-Soccer Aid was tonight, awesome. I suppose you have to be English to appreciate this game at Wembley, but it ticked all the boxes. Sheringham and Shearer up front again? The games was awesome, and the celebs did a great job, some of Jamie Theakstons saves were awesome.

-Andy Murray beat Rafa Nadal to reach the final of the US open. Come on, thats awesome.

Discuss! Discuss!

2. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Gah @ F1!

Ok, for those who didn't catch the race - Lewis Hamilton originally won, only for officials to add 20 seconds to his finishing time, which knocked him down into 3rd place. The reason? In the last couple of laps, Hamilton went wide to avoid a collision with championship rival Kimi Raikonnen. Now, under F1 rules, if you're forced to go off-track to avoid hitting another car, you cannot use that manoeuvre to gain or hold a place. Accordingly, Hamilton allows himself to fall back behind Raikonnen, who was ahead at the time. On the next band, Hamilton overtakes Raikonnen. As a result of this, the officials decided (insanely IMO) to penalise him because he later overtook Raikonnen!

What makes it seem even more pointless is that Raikonnen independently spun and smeared the front of his car along a wall barely seconds later, ending his race on the final lap! So even if Hamilton had somehow gained from going wide (which I'll say he didn't), it had absolutely no effect on the outcome of the race.

:( 

3. tikgnat

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Well McClaren are going to appeal. I actually missed the race itself.

The main thing I'm amazed at is the Khan/Prescott fight.

Announcements (set the scene, y'know?)
    YouTube - Khan V Prescott LIVE - Part 1 of 2 - Announcer's Introduction (High Quality)

Full fight
    YouTube - Khan V Prescott LIVE - Part 2 of 2 - Full Fight (High Quality)

I mean, Khan just charged in at a guy who has won all 19 of his ights, 17 by knockout, 14 of those in under a minute. Whoever told him this would be a good strategy probably had a big bet on.

Oh and I forgot to mention, yesterday England beat Andorra in the World cup qualifier, but thats hardly news is it? ;) 

Last edited: Sep 7, 2008
  4. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just watched the fight via that Youtube link.

Wow, that was... brief. The ref should have ended it the first time Khan went down, he was clearly dazed and in no fit state to carry on. :( 

5. tikgnat

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Exactly, but I think the pressure was on the ref to give the punters a decent fight. It was the main event of the night and lots had paid for it on pay per view on Sky. He probably thought Khan could rally and fight properly, but once dazed he flailed and dropped his guard.

Some people say that when you're amateur, you get the head guard, so its possible to take shots to the head and just lose points. In pro, without that head guard taking the hit to the head does more damage than just points.

This is probably a bad habit from his amateur boxing days. All this talk of Khan having a glass jaw, well, his opponent is a KO king. If he works on that defence he still could be good. 'Could'. This is a major major setback though.