Crazy PS3 stories

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by MegaMoonMan, Nov 17, 2006.

1. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    So who actually got one? How did you get it? Did you have to kill someone? Did you scalp it right away? Did you see any fights?

Let's hear it!

2. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    I got a 20gb model. Got to Best Buy at about 11am on Thursday. There was an "unofficial list". My friend and I were 102 and 103. I had heard that the store had 90 20gb models and 40 60gb models. It was too crazy to explain everything that went on. The line policed themselves very well and people that cut in line were made to leave with everyone chanting, "na na na na, na na na na, hey hey hey, good bye!" It was pretty funny. There were probably 25 people or so behind me that ended up getting systems. It was freaking cold as hell but we had a blast.

3. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I didn't get one, but I went to WalMart at about 10:45pm last night and there was a line of probably 100 people or so. I asked the Electronics Dept. manager (know him) how many they got. He laughed and said 6.

4. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    This must have happened at a ton of places. What I don't understand is why didn't somebody from the stores tell all these lines long before they went on sale that they didn't have enough for them all?

I'd think that an angry mob would be lessened if people weren't forced to wait all that time for nothing if the store knew better.

5. undertaker

undertaker Deadman's Disciple

I didn't get one, but I have a good scalper story.

I know, it's not surprising that people would actually try to buy people's spots in line to guarantee themselves a system. But I didn't know that scalping your place in line could be worth so much. I watched a guy in line at a Fry's store pay $200 to move up 4 spots in the line so that he would be guaranteed a 60 Gig console. However, a person at a Best Buy store didn't get $200 for his spot; he got $1200, just for his place in line. At a Meijer just a short distance from the Best Buy, they set up chairs for the first four people in line (and then quickly cut off the line since they were only getting 4 systems). The people in that line were offered $500 and $650 for their spots. None of them, however, accepted the offers.

6. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

craziness...it's just a game, and eventually you will be able to buy them with ease.

7. ambushbug74

ambushbug74 Stroke me, Stroke me! TFW2005 Supporter

Personally, I'm gonna wait to get the system. However I wish I woulda stood in line just to sell my spot, that's like a free lottery win.

8. TOM

TOM From one hood to Yours

Ebay:
    Best laugh I had all day.

9. oddobot

oddobot carpe diem all diem long

Ebay:
    Well I have the pleasure of working in Electronics at WALMART, and on Wednesday we found out we were only getting 4 systems. 2 20 GB and 2 60 GB.
    By noon there were already 3 people there. I called my dept. mgr yesterday and he said there were several people there. It was advertised that each store would get at least 10 60 GB systems. So they had to issue "rainchecks" for the other ones! Thank God I was off the past 2 days!!!

10. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Im gonna go Stand in line to get a Nintendo Wii this weekend, Hopefully someone will buy my place, I need some cash!

11. TOM

Ebay:
  12. oddobot

oddobot carpe diem all diem long

Ebay:
    That is f'ng weak! I hope some dumbass didn't really go THAT far with it! It's just a game people. I'll play my PS2 until it dies, then buy another! I can wait for the price to drop on the PS3.

Damn............

13. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Of COURSE it's fake, nobody paid 100 million dollars for one.

I like how most of the auctions in Tom's link are being pushed up to prices of $10,000 and more by people with zero feedback, and they have names like Ihategreedypeople. Hilarious!

It almost makes me feel bad. Ok, it's gone now - HAHAHAHA!

14. TOM

Ebay:
    How bout in the bid history majority od the bidders are no longer registered users. :)  Dumbasses

15. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

I think I got one from Costco.com. They put them on their site this morning a little before 10 A.M. central time. A bundle of the 60 GB, a controller and the Genji game. Took about 2 hours of trying, even after the site was shut down, but I do now have a receipt with order #. They won't ship them until Monday though, and I'll probably have to change my shipping from standard to express so I can put it up on ebay sooner. I just hope the prices stay pretty good for the next week or so. I know there's an extreme shortage out there, so hopefully it will last.

I don't get why one store gets like 150 systems, and others get 3. It's a bit crazy.

16. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That's a very good question. My mom works at TRU back home and she told me just now the manager went out and told the crowd that had gathered when she arrived in the morning that there weren't enough for everyone and that she was sorry, etc, and no incidents arose. I know a lot of the shit going on is just people being assholes but I'm sure the stores could've handled things better in most cases.

17. ViperDragon

ViperDragon Well-Known Member

I went to Wal-Mart last night at 7pm and there were a dozen or so people outside in line. One guy brought his dog. What's funny, is on the door there was a sign stating they had 8 units (6 20G and 2 60G) and 4 rainchecks available. Why bother? I wouldn't bother buying Gen1 because you KNOW they will have some major bugs, much like Windows Vista will. I won't touch it until SP2 for Vista is ready. So I wouldn't buy a console until everyone's headaches have passed!

ViperDragon

18. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
  19. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

Man im going to stand in line the next system release. That is like a whole new secret trend of scalping. Place scalping.

20. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    I've only stood in line for a new system once. It was for the Dreamcast, and the only reason I bothered was because it was inside the mall. Most of us got a free can of Pepsi and a small bag of popcorn while waiting in line. Then afterwords there were some small DC tournaments. Got 2nd place in the Powerstone tournament. ^_^