Crazy prices for Transformers

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by RobotoChan, Nov 9, 2007.

1. RobotoChan

RobotoChan Nothing to see here

News Credits:
    Can anybody explain to me why, other than greed, most online retailers are selling Hasbros Masterpiece Starscream for around $99?

I was under the assumption that the retail price was around $59 which is far more realistic.

If, like me, you like in the uk, importing the US version of Starscream for $99 is no better than importing the Japanese version for 10,000円. I don't know what the actual retail price of the Japanese one is but this markup from most US online stores is shocking.

Tell me I am not the only one who thinks so?

2. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    Same situation in Denmark. I too assumed the price to be around $50 especially when we see all the pictures of fellow american picking him up at Walmart in that price range. BBTS and Digital-toys and many more has him listed for $95-99, and on ebay prices range from $75 to $120. And when when then have to add their overhyped shipping costs to it you really find the pain.
    I pre-ordered my Screamer some time ago at HLJ to around $85, not the cheapest but with shipping included its still far cheaper than the other alternatives.
    I managed to get a MP-06 (which is still enroute) to $50 and paid $52 for shipping + insurance from Asia, many other places the figure alone is $95-99.

3. NemesisPrime

NemesisPrime Banned

That why I like dealing with fellow forum members. We have a huge US Screamer thread in which fans are helping other fans...FOR THE COST OF THE TOY + SHIPPING. No bullshit "finders fees" no bullshit period.

4. RobotoChan

RobotoChan Nothing to see here

News Credits:
    Yeah, I have been looking at that recently and will be posting there shortly :) 

I feel bad sometimes that I cannot offer to get anything from the UK in return as it would probably cost way too much money what with the inflated prices at retail and the strong pound :( 

Thanks for reminding me about the screamer thread.

5. Reeds

Reeds Q-Wing Pilot TFW2005 Supporter

Yeah, its strange. Cause they're not even trying to make the difference in price subtle. They're just like, "woohoo! double that sumbitch! those f-ers'll pay!" I was kinda surprised BBTS pulled that nonsense too. It's sooo Brian's Toys.

6. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    I don't think the "finder's fee" is BS in some cases--it's a fair and legitimate fee that covers personal expense. There have been more than a few occasions where I have had to drive as far as 30-45 minutes out of my way to find certain TFs, and I don't feel I'm being exploitative to charge a "finder's fee" to reimburse myself for the high price of gas it cost me to hunt that item down for a fellow fan. Since I'm doing them a favor with my own time and expense, tacking on a finder's fee seems justified to me, and I've never had any complaint from fans I've sold to.

However, if it's a trade transaction, then charging a finder's fee is BS.

7. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I think many of the online retailers don't get the same wholesale discount that Wallworld does. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if Wally is selling him at a loss just to clear him out. That seems to be close to the price point where the bigger figures leave the shelves.

The smaller online guys are stuck with the price they paid and either have to go with their regular profit margins (hence the higher prices), or accept a major loss.

I'm just guessing here.

eBay is another story altogether. Pure greed on that front.

8. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    transformers are 50% more expensive in Canada, difference of dollars included.

9. NemesisPrime

NemesisPrime Banned

If you're making a run out there JUST for them, then I agree on the gas comment. But if you've happened across the motherload while looking for figures for yourself and you charge ANYTHING above the cost of the figure plus shipping that's the grey territory.

10. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Thats just how supply and demand works. A couple of months ago, some guy wanted $40 for a $10 BB because it was hard to find it at that time. I just laughed and walked away from his booth. Same happened when Star wars was a big thing during the years of the new trilogy; they were outrageously priced but now are somewhat reasonable in pricing. Im sure when the GI Joe movie comes out, the prices for those will go up too.

11. Quantum

Quantum Oh good

QFT

12. Otispq

Otispq Elocution Onymous

News Credits:
    I figure that I'm driving around looking for my own stuff, so the finders fee scenario holds little water. but I do have quite a few stores not that far from home... and the guys in my area are really showing their qualities lately in helping each other out. It's just a shame that some people are only into themselves and their greed. Life was meant to enjoy, and Transformers are little plastic bundles of joy-right? so those people who jack up the price suck.

13. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

I just don't get how people buy TOYS to sell at a profit. I am not talking about because it is something I want because who cares I am a fan regardless but think about how we are losing future fans or new fans that will be longterm simply because they can't get a Bumblebee or Starscream NOW. I realize that most of the people who get MP Starscream are probably adults but when I found mine I saw a kid looking at one of them and if that had been the last one you better believe I would let him have it. A kid should get a toy before an adult does. Hell another fan should get one before I get two. It is called sharing though apparently some people don't believe in it.

14. Altercron

Altercron Well-Known Member

Also given the fact that traffic in our area sucks ass, 30-45 minutes may not actually be that far away, just takes forever to get there. Example, every Wednesday I have to be at my recruiter's office at 6pm. I leave my house at 4:30 (Winder) and arrive at the office at about 5:15(Duluth) if I take 316 the whole way. Coming home is a different story, Pleasent Hill Road at 6:30 is a pain in the ass. It took 45 minutes total for me to get from the parking lot at the Recruiters and get off the on ramp to I-85. That was only a 4 mile trip!

15. pcsguy88

pcsguy88 I'm a Toys R Us kid TFW2005 Supporter

Careful Voiceroy, them's fighting words in the "Official MP SS Exchange Thread".

:wink: 

16. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    08 BB has been out over here in the UK for a while now; I almost bit the bullet and bought one from an eBay scalper purely because I had NEVER seen one at retail. I even went so far as to call my local TRU and ask if they had any in stock; one time I did get the reply that "a bunch of people had bought them all earlier". Fucking scalpers.
    I FINALLY found one on Thursday, and jumped at the opportunity; it was the last one in the store.
    We pay enough as it is, without having to pay some arsecandle's ludicrous scalper markup on it too.
    Oh, and one more thing. A decent finder's fee, to cover the expense of a special run to go get a toy for someone, is one thing; I would always be happy to cover the cost of someone finding me something I needed when I couldn't find it myself.
    Jacking up the price to ridiculous levels, however, is nothing more than fleecing people out of money because you were luckier/quicker/greedier than they were.

17. Sycia

Sycia Draconian Faction

Apparently, it's not JUST online retailers who do that. Someone reported that TRU (in Singapore) is selling MP G1 Screamer at SGD149 (USD103). I don't know what the *BEEEEEEEEEEP* is up with that since all these huge retail outlets don't mark up their prices like damn scalpers or equally-damned independent import stores that change prices every week.

18. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

The reason the online retailers are charging double the $50 price it costs at Wal-Mart is because they don;t get *ANY* wholesale discount. This is a Wal-Mart exclusive. Any online retailer selling it had to buy it *at* Wal-Mart at full retail price, and on top of that, is having to compensate their "finders" for their time and costs to get them, plus no doubt shipping costs to send them in if they're not directly local.

I'm not saying I agree that *double* the price is correct in this case, and I certainly disagree with anyone clearing out their entire local area of supply of a figure to resell it online.

19. pmoverlord-1972

pmoverlord-1972 the enforcer of all

it cost 33.00 to make one my store said

20. MACRAPTRON

MACRAPTRON Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Scalpers. You gotta love them...