Crazy Devy Shoulder Articulation should be possible

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Alucard77, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    So in another thread about the Devastator Reissue, we were discussing that it may not be possible to do shoulder Articulation for Devastator.

Well, I figure I would start a thread on this to keep it on topic. I took out my CD Devastator and took some pics of him.

[​IMG]

So let me break this down a bit:
    - The red circles are area's that I think can be used to attach a Crazy Devy type part.
    - The White boxes show the amount of room that is available for a CD part to work.

So my thinking is this.
    - You can create something with ratcheting joints that slides onto the areas with the red circles.
    - This piece can be big enough to fit into the two arm figures and as you can tell there is enough clearance to create something pretty big.
    - This thing will have to stick out just a bit to make up for the clearance issues that you see if you look at the figure. This is so the arms can go inside the figure.

However for this, I am thinking you can do something that slides in and out. So if the shoulder is moving back, the item can be slid in. If the Shoulder is moving out, you can have the item that connects slide out to make up for the clearance issues. Maybe this diagram can better illustrate what I mean.

[​IMG]

While some you say this would be expensive. I would have to argue that they already charge us rediculous amounts for barely any plastic. So while they may not have the talent to make this, hopefully someone else would.

Your thoughts?

2. MisterFanwank

MisterFanwank Toy Industry Analyst

News Credits:
    Send me a junker Devy and I'll make the parts through shapeways.

3. The Dark Seeker

The Dark Seeker Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    More articulation? Sure...why not. But as it is right now, it seems to be ok. I mean, you can rotate the arms up and down, bonecrusher can kinda go back on forth, but not totally forward. Crazy Devy made a solid plastic piece that moves scavenger forward (more or less in a permanent position unless you remove that piece). Other than that, what kind of articulation are you looking for though? lateral raise movement?

4. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    I don't think shapeways would really be able to hold up to the use of something like this.

I was thinking full range of motion. So the arm can go in front of the figure, which it cannot do now (well it can with the CD part, but it is fixed position). Almost like if it was on a ball joint. But I think ball joints may nt be strong enough to handle this. May have to be a double ratcheting joint.

5. MisterFanwank

MisterFanwank Toy Industry Analyst

News Credits:
    Depends on the size of a real Devy figure. Shapeways' plastic is pretty nice and you could always beef up the connection with Future Floors if it got loose. The polishing process on PWSF essentially wears the plastic down the exact same way using a joint would, so making the parts bigger than needed, then polishing them, should result in a joint that's sized right and won't wear down for a long time because it's already been worn down.

6. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    There's actually a hell of a lot more room on Bonecrusher's side than you have depicted there. By default, that arm is a lot closer to the body than the Scavenger arm. Aside from looking a little strange, it also means that arm can't rotate up without hitting the chest wing.

Really all they need to do is put some kind of extender that looks good on the bonecrusher side. Just something as simple as a peg extender to give bonecrusher the same rotation clearance scavenger has built into him, and most people would be happy with that.

7. Goshjosh95

Goshjosh95 Decepticon

News Credits:
    Agreed! That's one of my pet peeves with Devs... Bonecrusher really needs to be moved outward for the arm to be able to swing freely up & down.

Going back to Alucard's thoughts: Maybe they could come up with something that plugs into both sockets on Hook, but also with a clip on the top & bottom for stability (would look like an "E" and a reversed "E"), as the base, attached to ratcheted joints or large ball joints and female connectors for Scavenger & Bonecrusher?

8. Sioce

Sioce Radicon in training

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I would rather CD not touch it, just to avoid yet another shit storm of whining and bitching about it not being $5.

I know the OP said CD like, but lets be honest, CD is the only one that has done a good job with the old toys. And even they don't do it perfect.

Most likely some ham fisted idiot would put it on an original G1 devy and it would get a scratch. Then out would come the same experts about CD who don't own a single part from them. (But secretly wish they could afford them, either through more money on thier part, or less profit for CD.)

Course if they make it...I'll buy it :D