Crash Test Hot Rod?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Tycho, May 9, 2007.

1. Tycho

Tycho Well-Known Member

I was posting in the MySpace Transformers group in response to the very good looking video game trailer, recounting how much I'd love to play Optimus Prime and kick Decepticon butt.

As a sensitive child in 1986, I was mad as heck that Hot Rod interferred in Prime's fight with Megatron and wound up getting Prime shot at least 3-4 times.

It made me yearn for a bonus "easter egg" in the game where you could play Hot Rod and drive him into walls and such, inflicting massive body damage. I think I've been holding a grudge against Hot Rod since '86 and I just might enjoy an option like that.

I could see it now: instead of playing the game, I'd spend hours driving Hot Rod off of bridges, into brick walls, through glass buildings, letting him fall into lakes - getting trashed in construction yards. Maybe there's even an option where you can parallel park him alongside a building where grand pianos periodically fall out of the windows on the cars below?

Ah what goes through the mind of a Transformer-sadist.

2. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Well if it's any consolation, the old Japan-only NES/Famicom game for Transformers let you play as Rodimus Prime if you beat the game twice, collecting the right items on the second play through, you could intentionally bash and blast him all you wanted there... Problem is the game is hard as hell, one of the harder ones I've ever played.

3. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    You do know there are people out there who like Hot Rod, right? I, for one, consider him to be a far better character than Optimus, and I'm still annoyed that they caved to fan pressure and brought Optimus back.

Now if you want a crash and bash game staring a TF that absolutely everyone hates, you want Wheelie. :p 

4. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

That would be an awesome option. I despise hot rod and rodimus prime as well. Speaking of the NES game. Wasn't there a US TF game for the NES a well?

5. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    You are a sick sick man :mad 

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Personaly, I like Hot rod/Rodimus. Prime would've been shot anyway, and Megatron would've been shot and everything would've been the same.

I think you're just being a little silly.;) 

I wouldn't go that far.

7. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I don't Hate Hot Rod or anything, but I'd have a hell of a good time playing a game like that. That's all I'd ever do while playing Vice City with my buddy anyway. That and beat the tar out of old people that walked by.

8. thoughtcrime

thoughtcrime Well-Known Member

My dislike for Hot Rod (and by extension, Rodimus Prime) knows no bounds. Hot Rod is the Poochie of Transformers. I'd prefer him not to appear in the games or films at all.

9. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

I feel the same way. Why oh why couldn't Hot Rod have listened to Kup?

10. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Here's what they should do.. Make a '86 movie game, and when the time comes, either stand there and let Megs kill ya while holding Hot Rod, and thus the game would play out like the movie, or give you the option to just shoot through him to kill Megatron and give you an alternate path. It will never happen, but, oh well (I have nothing against the character Hot Rod or Rodimus though).

11. TILALLR1

TILALLR1 'Til All Are One

You guys are coming down pretty hard on Hot Rod. First off, he was trying to help prime, not get him killed. Second he was young and inexperienced so you got to cut him a bit of slack. And third he always blamed himself and never got over his death. That must be the toughest burden to bear of all.

I love Prime, but Hot Rod (Rodimus) was always a more relatable character to me then Prime. I think the Hate for Hot Rod has gone way to far.

Then again, poor Wheelie has gotten worse.

12. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

I like Rodimus Prime and during the Rebirth, when Hot Rod came back, I gave him the benefit of the doubt that he had learned from his mistakes. But he got Optimus killed......there is no forgiving that. If they do put him in the game, he's just target practice for Blackout.

13. WallOfMetal

WallOfMetal Well-Known Member

:lol  :lol 

14. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That'd be the best mode ever in a game.

Especially if a car carrier TFs into Magnus, and blows Hot Rod up.

"That's for taking my position as leader asshole!"

15. unicron's blues

unicron's blues I need to get rich!

Did Hot Rod fuck up and get Prime killed? Yes. But beyond that, I thought he was okay, never should have been leader though but I liked him as just a regular autobot and personally, I never found Wheelie annoying either, I can see how a few others would but Wheelie has nothing on the little turds from Armada or Kicker from Energon, now if you could have a game that would allow you to beat and kill those little bastards I'd be all for that.

16. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

Hot Rod/Rodimus rules! (See fanfic below)

I'd like to see a option in the game where you could play as Hot Rod and kick the $^&% out of Megatron before Op even got the chance! Interviene but do it right this time and blow Megs to scrap with those awesome talepipe arm guns.:D 

17. Kupp

Kupp Ford Fanboy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    here is the thing, had prime not died, who says in the movie continuity Prime could have used the matrix to destroy Unicron. It is obvious the matrix reacted to Hot Rod, so had prime not died, all of cybertron would have been lost to unicron.

Nevermind that it got blown up later on anyways...

18. Primevil

Primevil *Insert Witty Title Here*

Ebay:
    Everybody blames Hot Rod (and to a lesser extent, Perceptor) for Prime's death. Ever stop to think it's Prime's fault? He's the one that stood there like an idiot, waving his gun around ("Out of the way, Hot Rod!") instead of taking cover when Megatron opened fire. And if Prime is so great, he should have been able to shoot Megatron even with Hot Rod as a shield.

So yes, Hot Rod made a mistake, but so did Prime.

19. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

I've never been fond of Hot Rod, either as a soldier, or as a leader. I'm pretty sure the matrix only let him open it, because it was desperate.

Did Hot Rod let Megatron get those last few shots in on Prime. Without question. But, Perceptor was the one who was patching up bots all through season 2, but suddenly couldn't fix a hole in Prime's side.

And, why did no one think to tell the Junkions "Hey, our leader's back on Earth, and he's really messed up?"

20. Kupp

Kupp Ford Fanboy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    But that wouldn't have helped sell Rodimus Prime and Hot Rod toys now would it?

Especially when they could use the quints to bring Prime back in season 3 and sell more of that toy then if they want.