CRAP, my collection is reaching its critical mass!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by juise, Oct 7, 2008.

1. juise

juise TFW2005 Token Negro

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So I needed to separate my Classics from my Alt/BT/MP's because the 12' shelf in the bedroom wasn't big enough to support the Classics growing numbers. Not to mention I got a few of the BT's I was missing (all I need is clear Mirage) as well as a few customs. My TFA's were mostly sitting in the package in a pile in the den where the bulk of my collection used to reside. Now that I have everything relatively displayed I've come to the realization that I am quickly reaching my collections critical mass! I currently have 170 Transformers. I'm guessing I'll run out of room at about 230, maybe 250 if I move some of the womans medical books.

What have you guys done when you ran out of room? I really hate the idea of storing them, because I buy them to display. Realistically I know theres no "magic bullet" for this situation, but it feels better to ask anyways.

I'll update my collection thread in my sig with updated pics later tonight so you guys can see what I'm working with.

2. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

Here are some of your options:

1. Opt for more storage space. Shelves, Clear out other stuff (such as medical books) Room space, etc.

2. Store them in containers and only keep out your favorites. I actually opt for this because almost no one who knows me knows what a huge fan I am so the Classics/Universe for me tend to be stored in bins with just a couple out.

3. Sell or give away the ones you really don't have to keep. This is the hardest option for a Transformer fan to do but sometimes it must be done. I have done a couple purges to make more room but mine were easy because the stuff I got rid off was either movie stuff (which I only had a couple) or TF animated (all of which were given to me free from the only friend of mine that even knows I like TFs). Perhaps focusing on just one line or two will help. Maybe that isn't an option for you but perhaps it is.

These are the three big ways you can help with this issue (that I can think of) and I hope it helps you make a decision.

3. BadJeff

BadJeff Bite my shiny metal ass!

Pulled out the tools and made the room bigger:thumbs2: 

4. Uncrazimatic

Uncrazimatic Uncrazimatic Bore

open everything... or sell! heheh.. you'll get tired of looking at half of them anyways when u realize that you and your woman are the only one they're displayed for.

5. Silent_Magnus

Silent_Magnus Taint of Primus

News Credits:
    Or get a shrink ray and make the toys smaller!

6. juise

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Says the guy that just sold me 3 TF's :) 

98% of my stuff is displayed out of the package!

7. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

I feel good that I contributed to your collecting with my Sig. :thumbs2: 

8. unicronsupreme

unicronsupreme supremest of unicrons

News Credits:
    Every couple months I have to clean out everything that I don't want on hand and store it to make more room. In my last clean out I stashed all the movie figures that weren't in the movie and my erroneous titaniums and SWTFs. I'm reaching that point again. This time the casualties will be the double characters from animated. I've added a new shelf too and I'm still running out of room!

9. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    I just have a small display area atm and I rotate out the figures once I get sick of them. Keeps the display fresh, don't have to dust hundreds of robots, and I can pose them how I want instead of them all at attention waiting for orders.

10. Cascadia

Cascadia Ion Storm

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Several options:

1) more shelves on the walls
    2) more storage space by other means
    3) keep/display the ones that you want/like to look at

as for mine, I have plastic drawers in the closet and I rotate them in and out and display them on my desk and on some shelves on one wall. My bookshelves are filled with science and education books.

11. jedi prime1

jedi prime1 Well-Known Member

I feel your pain. Already I had to store my BW and BM, and the way that animated is going, I will have to clear out RID. I really need to get a new bookcase:( 

12. mecha

mecha Banned

mine reached a critical mass and exploded already...i have storage containers...TF's on shelves....on my TV...around my TV....on various shelves in rooms...i am going to purge and sale alot of it...but i am waiting for the economy to get better...not willing to have a fire sale just to clear some TF's out of my apartment...

13. mineraljane

mineraljane Gravity Hugger

News Credits:
    I sold my bed, bought a tent to set up on the lawn for sleeping purposes, and gave the house to my collection. Problem solved.

More seriously, do you have an IKEA near? Good shelves.

14. juise

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah _thanks_ </sarcasm> ;)  Seriously I would've been late to the boat on Classics if it wasn't for your sig.

15. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Mine too.

16. Ray Kremer

Ray Kremer Well-Known Member

At this point the shelves are only for the ones too large to fit in my stack of plastic drawers from Target. Though I think I'm going to have to move slightly in the other direction now, the drawers are all full, no more will fit in the closet, and the shelves have some space left. I also have added three underbed containers to the mix.

17. glancer

glancer Dinobot

cant help noticing in the collection thread that some of the Alts are in alt mode. change them into robot then you can display them in a closer room. also, open some package.