CRAP!!!!!!!!!!! A near tragedy in the making...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Sunstorm9119, May 22, 2010.

1. Sunstorm9119

Sunstorm9119 RC 1136

Ebay:
    So I decided to unpack my collection and see how many I actually have. Also I'm gonna see if there are any I want to part with....

Anyway, so I'm unpacking stuff, and I pull out my G1 Jetfire....and he's turning yellow!!!!!! I'm confused, since he's stored in a sealed ziplock bag, in a sealed rubbermaid container out of ANY sunlight. I almost had a minor coronary on the spot!! Jetfire was bone white when I bought him, and has been for a year now. Now I'm reading a thread on how to stop this, and turn him white again. Thankfully it's just his right wing and his chest, so it's not too bad, just one hell of a surprise....

Wish me luck, and I'll take any suggestions you guys have....

This is how it looked when I bought him:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now just imagine his right wing and chest turning yellow, and you'll have a good idea of my dilemma.......

2. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    damn that sucks XD not sure what could have caused it in those conditions though o_O 

3. Shadowbreaker

Shadowbreaker \/ /\

News Credits:
    White Plastic yellowing..... That stinks.

There IS a solution though, using hydrogen peroxide, I think?

Though it's weird that it yellowed without any sunlight....

You could try using the hydrogen peroxide to fix it.

4. Sunstorm9119

Sunstorm9119 RC 1136

Ebay:
    I found the solution to this, ( I hope), and I'll let you guys know how it works out...

5. zealottoyou

zealottoyou Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I am more interested in the cause. It is going to drive me crazy if any of mine turn yellow while being a ghost.

6. Quantum

Quantum Oh good

I may be talking out of my ass here, but don't ziplock bags have a chemical in them that's not so good for plastic toys for long-term storage? I vaguely remember reading something like that once, somewhere. Super-helpful, I know, sorry about that. But it may be worth looking into. Could also be totally off the mark. Thought it was worth mentioning anyway.

Sucks about the Jetfire dude, hope the solution works out for you. And it's good that it was only the chest and wing.

7. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    From the wiki article on "yellowing"

Photodegradation - Transformers Wiki

"There is no hard and fast way to determine which individual figures will be more susceptible to it. A Jetfire opened once, then left in a closet for 20 years seems just as likely to be affected as one left sitting on a shelf for the same amount of time. Furthermore, different pieces of identically-colored plastic on the same toy can photodegrade differently, resulting in a Nightbeat with a normally colored canopy and discolored legs."

8. salmonman78

salmonman78 Mordin, my hero

Hmmm, if someone could confirm the part about Ziploc bags not being good for the storage, would like to see that. All my non display ones right now are in those baggies so, well, kinda makes me wonder/worry

9. Sunstorm9119

Sunstorm9119 RC 1136

Ebay:
    Well, upon closer inspection the morning I found his head and the upper inside part of one of his legs has also yellowed. :eek:  It seems i'm gonna have to get some reprolabels for him when this is over also. :cry 

On the ziplock bag subject, my Metroplex is starting to get it too, and he's not in a bag at all. He's also stored in a rubbermaid container.

Pics of the damage:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Hotspot17

Hotspot17 Search and Rescue: Vet

News Credits:
    It's a normal process of the toy plastic. You can't avoid it.

But then again, it might be moved further along with the smoking in the house?
    I see a lighter and cigarettes in the picture.
    Just mentioning it. Not meaning to judge in anyway.

11. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    It doesn't matter if you keep it in storage for years..once it has seen light the chemical process has started.

12. oxidative

oxidative last chance to evacuate

Smoking is a killer on plastics. That tar/soot sticks to everything and gets into anything. As sealed as you might think it is, if air can get in there, smoke can get in there.

Also, if your kitchen is near your collection or your house/apt is poorly ventilated AND you do a lot of greasy cooking, you'll destroy your plastics. Way back when I lent a friend a beige colored Macintosh computer. It was very near the kitchen, house poorly ventilated, and she cooked lots of greasy food. That sucker turned a nasty yellow in no time.

13. Sunstorm9119

Sunstorm9119 RC 1136

Ebay:
    I know smoking is bad for toys, that's why they are stored in a shed away from the house. I also don't smoke in the house anyway, (small children and an asmatic wife). Good observation, just not germaine here. Of course, there is no way for you to know that....

I was wondering in perhaps heat can do this? Since my collection is stored in a large plastic bin out of any possible exposure to sunlight, that might be the case.

14. Phoenix Blaze

Phoenix Blaze Brain Waster

Ouch, that looks harsh. I've never had too many issues with the yellowing of plastic toys. My G1 Metroplex has it farily bad, but to see a solid comparison of white on yellow.

It seems it's like GPS, it's just going to happen one day.

15. Hotspot17

Hotspot17 Search and Rescue: Vet

News Credits:
    Believe the cooler the temperature is the better. Extreme temperatures are bad.

16. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

If you collect vintage, make sure they are stored in a dark, air conditioned environment. Heat acts as a catalyst for plastic degradation. I'm interested in the peroxide treatments, so any confirmations with before/after examples would be appreciated.

17. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    Well... the post that first "discovered" the peroxide thing already came with a slew of pictures of the results

18. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    Yes, long term storage in plastic bags is bad for the toys...maybe.

It depends on how well the bags were treated when they were made. If there is residual releasing agent in them, then that can and will be bad for the toy.