Craigslist reliability?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Soundblaster1, Oct 11, 2008.

1. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    I have a fairly decent sized stamp collection I'm looking to unload (late '70s to early '80s), and I'm thinking Craigslist is the best place to do it. The only problem is, I don't really want people calling me at 3AM to ask about some stamps.

I don't have anything to lose by throwing up a listing for a week or so...

Anyway, I guess I'm asking if anyone has had success selling collectibles of this kind on Craigslist... And if anyone knows of anywhere else to unload them, that would be great, too.

2. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I sell stuff on craigslist all the time, usually let people contact me by email, then after the initial e-mail, by phone.

It all depends on what type of feel you get from the person when talking to them.

3. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    It's pretty safe, and if you are 100% in listing how you are to be contacted and how you want the deal to go down, you'll curb the mutants from bothering you in the first place. Stuff like telling them to use a certain subject line etc, and the people who do it will show you who's worth dealing with vs the ones who clearly won't be.

I just had a horrible time getting rid of some furniture on there last month though, people would flake out at the last minute, or not show at all. I know that craigslist is good, but sometimes it's easy to forget.

Also, why not try and dump this stuff on the bay?

4. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    This.

Also, I hear it's good to avoid any transactions that aren't local. Scams do go down on Craigslist and you'll have little protection if any, should things go bad.

5. Soundblaster1

News Credits:
    I guess it won't hurt to list the stuff for a week or so, anyway.

I'm not ebaying it because the ebay market for stamps/stamp collections is virtually non-existent. Even if I could get what I want for everything, the fees on that (ebay and paypal) would be brutal.

6. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    I have sold and bought stuff from Craigslist before. All experiences were pleasant.

And yeah, like others have said, just let prospective buyers contact you via email first.

7. Cascadia

Cascadia Ion Storm

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Craig's list is alright but I recommend being more aware of who is e-mailing about the item(s). You essentially get very little protection and be very specific about the payment details. I have been scammed once this year over an expensive item.

here is my story:

I put my tenor trombone up for sale online but I am not very comfortable of how the transaction is going. The person wants to send me money through Western Union and/or International money transfer (they are apparently located in Canada), which I am not very comfortable with. They also wants to have their shipper get the item from me. In the ad, I put PayPal only for payment.

this is the e-mail that I received from the "buyer":

I need a favour from you,I contacted my shipper to pay him directly,but they told me they couldn't collect any money from me unless they have assigned the shipper that will come for the pick up of the (Bach 42BO F-attachment Tenor Trombone) along side other goods placed in care of the shipping agent and you know that could cause a delay which i don't want in this transaction.So a Check of $4,000 will be sent to you,you will get it cash and deduct your money for the ( Bach 42BO F-attachment Tenor Trombone), the excess is for my shipper that will be coming for pick up.the funds will be used for the shipping of the ship the goods. i'll imploy you to wire the balance via western union money transfer or International money gram to my shipper as soon as you RECEIVE the cheque. My SHIPPER will come for pick up on a specified date that will be convenient for you.i hope i can count on you for my balance I ALSO WANT THIS TO BASE ON TRUST CAN I TRUST YOU.

Right after this e-mail was sent to me, I called the deal off. I still have the item...

8. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:
    You shouldn't have to worry about getting a call. Just email your way with the buyer until the sell is done. I'm loving the gas grill I bought from someone on craigslist.

9. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

A buddy of mine bought a car off craigslist. Got a hell of a deal and it was in great condition. I've never used it, but I assume it's hit or miss like eBay sometimes is.

10. Reeds

Reeds Q-Wing Pilot TFW2005 Supporter

I think the moral of the story here is to never buy stamps unless you have something to mail. :) 

Seriously, my grandfather collected stamps. He unloaded them locally on stamp/card stores and online to stamp dealers here and there.

Personally, I find Craig's List creepy and more trouble than its worth considering its far from your only option.

Whichever way you go about it, good luck with it

11. Soundblaster1

News Credits:
    :lol 
    You wouldn't happen to know any of the online dealers that buy stuff, would you? I found a few sites that specify in just stamps, but none of them seemed very active.

12. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

Bought a car through Craig's List. It's a great car, and the price was phenomenal.

If you're worried, tell them to email you first and then you can switch to phone conversations if the buyer feels more comfortable doing so.

You shouldn't post your number on Craig's List, it will then be available on Google searches.

13. David

David . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I only use craigslist for sex, never bought anything from the site.

14. mineraljane

mineraljane Gravity Hugger

News Credits:
    I've sold three of my old Apple computers along the way on Craigslist. As others have noted, try to make it local only so you can deal in person. (Regardless, you WILL receive messages from people trying to scam you by having you ship to them; ignore them.) Also, always ask for cash only.

Don't give out your phone number until you have had initial contact and interest. I've met some great buyers through Craigslist and have always received good prices for my old computers.

Definitely the way to go. Even if you don't sell, it's no loss to you as it's free. Ebay, or something else that charges a fee, can always be a back up plan.

15. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Craigslist seemed to work well for this guy!

16. OmegaVPrime

OmegaVPrime Uhm, yea? So what?

Ebay:
    Sold my Diamond blue 26" Mark 4 ampeq amplifier for 200, next day reply and 200 in my hand.

DON'T POST YOUR ADDRESS!!! Ask to get to know the person..... that is the equivalent of living next door to building for the clinical help of child rapists and giving them directions to your infant daughters crib

17. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    The only reliability issue with Craigslist is intelligence level. I recently sold off my Star Wars figures after five different people contacted me about it. #2 through 5 all vanished on me after agreeing to pick them up, one agreed to come get them as early as the same day and even then never showed. One guy turned out to be in Tampa, that's a three hour drive, he didn't even get the concept of "local". Even the one that finally did claim them thought I had listed things I didn't so that caused more of a headache to explain.

18. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

Craigslist is solid. My roommate just bought his new car off of CL.

Like everyone said, don't post your phone number or your address. Just put up the listing and let people email you, then go from there. You'll be fine.

19. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Did you enjoy some crab meat as well?

20. OmegaVPrime

OmegaVPrime Uhm, yea? So what?

Ebay:

:lol 

Quite possibley a HIV tuna sandwich?