Craigslist bullcrap

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by adamthered, Jun 21, 2008.

1. adamthered

adamthered Reads comics. Starts shit

News Credits:
    Okay, I posted that I had some stuff for sales on Craigslist about two weeks ago. Only had one reply and it was very odd so I just ignored it. I think someone got my check card info from it some how because when I was checking my bank account there was a $25 charge from "craigslit org." Now, I never gave my card info to Craigslist for the posting because it's free. Needless to say I had my bank deactivate my check card and they removed the charges. Though I was told if they found out I had submitted my info to Craigslist (which I didn't) the charges would be added back on.

Anyway, it was my first (and last) time using Craigslist. Anybody else hear of anything like this happening through that site before? I'm stumped as to how anyone got my check card info.

2. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

How could someone get your check card info from Craigslist?

I sell stuff on there all the time and usually I get an e-mail from interested buyers and then I call them on the phone and arrange to meet in person.

3. adamthered

News Credits:
    I have no idea. Maybe it was just a coincidence that I posted something on Craigslist for sale for the very first time and then a charge I know I didn't make is listed as being made to "craigslist org." I'm just as confused as you.

I think the e-mail I received about it from an interested party wasn't on the up and up. I replied to their initial inquiry and then their second reply was just strange and I got the feeling I was being had. So I blocked the email address and just went about my day. Guess they could have got some info from me from my first email. I don't know. I just know some piece of garbage got a hold of my check card number and decided to so something on Craigslist with it. I did notice they charge $25 to post a job listing, which I didn't do that either. Who knows. I'm a little angry with the whole thing.

4. GW_Freak

GW_Freak Banned

Craigslist is a scary place but Craigslist itself won't rip off your money. Sounds like you were had by you responder somehow.

5. adamthered

News Credits:
    Be nice to know how they could find my check card info from one email. Guess that's why they're the crooks and I'm not.

6. Dark_Convoy

Have you checked your computer for trojans?

7. adamthered

News Credits:
    Yeah, I run my antivirus a few times a week along with spy sweeper, daily. Nothing has come up.

8. adamthered

News Credits:
    I have Trend Micro Antivirus and Webroot Spysweeper on both my computers. Can any one recommend something else that might catch something they're missing just in case this happens to be a case of having a trojan or something else on one of my PCs? Thanks.

9. adamthered

News Credits:
    Looks like the cock suckers had a field day over at iTunes with it as well. There's a charge on there that I thought may have been from my wife since we share the computer but have seperate accounts. Figured she may have accidentally purchased something on my account, no biggie. But, I log in to her account this and see she has a completely different card on her's. And, I never received a receipt from iTunes and I haven't bought anything from them since February.

So I defintely know some low life fuck has my card info. God knows how much they bought from iTunes as right now the only thing on there is a $1 authorization hold.

Fuck fuck fuck

10. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Craigslist.org itself can't actually take your money - the site is not designed that way. However, the person with whom you had correspondence must have found some way to weasel that money info out of your e-mail address. I'm pretty impressed, actually, that they could do that from just an e-mail address, unless, like has been mentioned before, somebody set up a trojan or some sort of data-mining software and nabbed your details.

Don't be afraid of Craigslist - it's very cool - but definitely protect yo' ass with spyblockers & antivirus and shit.

11. Dark_Convoy

The new version of AVG Antivirus is awesome.

I also run spybot search and destroy once a month and keep zone alarm pro running 24/7.

12. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

I just recently sold a whole bunch of stuff on there, and my wife is there all the time. I do exactly what D_C said too; put up a for sale, wait for their email of interest, call them to setup a time to meet. Very odd that someone could have pulled your digits from there.

13. adamthered

News Credits:
    Thanks for the tips, DC. I will grab those as well to run in conjuction with the rest of my stuff. Hopefully I caught this at the beginning stages and I won't have to deal with it any longer. Fingers are crossed.

14. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I can't help but wonder if it was just a coincidence that some identity thief used 'craiglist.org' shortly after you used the site.

I've never heard of anyone having issues with craigslist.

15. y2jversion1

y2jversion1 Rent this space today!

Ebay:
    What if someone outside craigslist got a hold of your card and your PIN? You know how at some gas stations they had the scam of double-swiping cards to get info.

Maybe as the above poster said, it was just coincidence that you posted on craigslist and at the same time the card id thief used it.

16. adamthered

News Credits:
    Heh, I always pay in cash at gas stations because of that very reason.

It's just funny that one of the places they used it was a place I had just used for the first time. I wish I could know what kind of listing they posted since craigslist charges $25 for job postings. Same for the iTunes purchase. I'd hope they at least bought something cool and not lame.

Oh well, card's deactivated now so their reign of fun is over