Customs: Crabs in a bucket

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by encline, Jul 20, 2009.

1. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I knew you couldn't resist with a title like that.

There is this saying I learned when I was heavy into custom airbrushing. I was at the Iwata distribution warehouse in Salt Lake City. I was talking over some issues I was having with a very well known custom painter named Dennis Mathewson.

He said "CRABS IN A BUCKET"

I just looked at him a second.

"It's like this," said Dennis,"when there is a bucket full of crabs and one tries to crawl out, almost all the other ones want to pull him back down."

That stuck with me. I was just thinking about some peoples remarks and thoughts of us who are trying to put food on our table with customs.

Now, I have never really had a problem with anyone. I have gotten a lot of support, like most of us who do this. And we give back to the "community" in many ways. Answering numerous how to pms, or putting tutorials. Nobody owes anybody here. None of us are obligated to share what we learn on our own. But why are there guys who want to pull others back down? Well, jealously. They can't stand the thought of others succeeding at what they want to do.

Get over it guys. Or work hard to be successful. If you are not here to support, then why say anything. Nobody cares about negativity. I have always felt like Radicons has been a great place, and will continue to be that way. As long as it is supportive. We should be able to say what we want to say, but in a tactful way. And if you can not in some way bring a positive note to the table, do not even say anything. Stop trying to pull others down. Because the higher someone gets, the more they have trying to pull them down, and that gets old.

Done with my thought for the year.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  2. encline

News Credits:
    And I am not talking about just us guys who do this as work, but everyone in general who succeeds in making a kick butt custom and someone has to make negative comments.

3. Sabrina_Ng

Sabrina_Ng La Femme Fatale

Ebay:
    True. Very true. And I am not referring to anyone in particular. When I first started out, I have strangers being extremely supportive. Now, I get a lot of senseless comments and criticisms. Someone just posted some very very weird stuff on my blog this morning. I give up...

Guess I've learnt to ignore and not react to such comments. It'll fuel the trolls.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  4. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    usually it comes from ppl who think your just throwing paint here and there, so dont let it get to you
    i do origami art, and at first i get 'oh nice', then someone says oh look its got a flaw in the tail
    i dont bother with them, its not worth my effort to show them how long it takes to make something from a 1'' sqr

5. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    I say clam up ya whiny bastids!!

I keed! I keed!!:D 

I agree, there are some folks who tend to be derogatory towards others, sometimes for the sake of being negative only it seems.

If there is an opposing viewpoint and it's expressed in a positive manner, that's what we are looking for. Something that could allow the artist to improve or at least see another point of view. Obviously sometimes you'll get a quip or remark from a friend that's meant to be taken in jest, those we can tell.

I also feel some of the "premier" artists are for sure walking around with a target on their back! If anyone wants to succeed, then good for them for pursuing it. I hope everybody earns a living doing what they love, and if it's custom Transformers, I hope you all make a million!

Encline, as for crabs in a bucket, I think you can get a shot for that!:p 

6. deathonacracker

deathonacracker Decepticrumb

Ebay:
    It's unfortunately like that in every profession and hobby. i don't know how these people were raised as a child but I'm glad I'm not like that. i couldn't live with myself always being jealous and unhappy about other peoples talent and lives in general.
    i love coming to the Radicon section. I'm probably looking around here more than any other place on the Internet actually! i love learning the basics and advanced techniques from you guys in order to prepare myself for my fist custom (which i believe is narrowing down to ravage since it's a bit more basic with less to take apart). You all have been nothing but supportive to us neewbs and without you guys, we cant grow as artists!

thank you very much!

7. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

It's become a popularity contest. Or at least that's what it seems like to me.

8. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    The biggest and most important thing EVERYONE should know and adhere to is...........do what YOU like and what YOU want. There will always be negative comments on any custom, no matter how good or bad it may really be. Some people know how to give good comments and criticisms to where they help the artist with something they may not have seen or tried yet. As for those that simply attack or criticize--if they can't offer more advice or exactly WHY they feel a customs straight up sucks, then I don't give them legs to stand on. The moment you reply or respond to that, they have you where they want you and you are baited into a confrontation. Now if they do offer up reasons as to why they feel it could be done better, you as an artist should listen and learn from it. It still may not be what you're after for that particular work of yours, BUT it keeps things calm and everyone can help learn from each other this way. If you are out to earn nothing but praise at every turn, you're in a hobby that will not offer what you seek. Not all work is 100% perfection by any means. So if someone does find a flaw, don't go on the defensive and attack them for pointing it out--some people are doing this to actually help you out and help you do better on your next custom (or to help you fix the current).

This gets lost on a lot of artists that do their work, but don't post any WIP. Once they post up the finished deal, they want you to love what they've done and not hear anything negative toward it at all. I'm sorry to say, someone will always find something. Maybe the majority of everyone thinks it's great, but there will always be that one person who will say something others might not notice or see. Now I do know there are some out to simply target those that are considered "great" and I think that's a bit much--they shouldn't do this based on their feelings toward another artist. It should be based solely on the work, not the name. If they want to share real reasons why they don't like the work, so be it--it's their right on a forum full of this very thing. If they are simply trolling to attack and degrade because they don't like the artist, that's pretty sad.

All in all, you need to understand that there will be some negative among the positives. You need to learn how to manage it and live with it in order to continue on. I take the good with the bad when anyone comments my customs--I always post some WIP stuff so that I can get feedback on how things look or to get help with new ways something might work. That's just me, but it does help the custom and the artist. If you post a finished custom and expect nothing but praise, 5 stars, or a parade, think again.

(And just to clarify things---when I say "you" in the above paragraphs, I'm not speaking to you, encline--I'm speaking to everyone "in general")

9. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

I try my hardest to tell the person the truth without a confrontation and well I don't know if they understood it or not, but at least its something for them to think about. And other times its hard for me to say anything cool or awesome about a custom, I ususally say things like, "Great job" or "I dig it" because I'm either tired, bored, or that my mind is filled with alot of ideas and its tough to say something at all.

But story short I take all comments positive and negative and try my best to be better no matter what I do. So thats my humble opinion about it.

10. yongkykun

yongkykun Well-Known Member

Hmm... Jealousy maybe the reason, but I think I know the real reason for their behavior:

fear

Let me elaborate,
    We, as human beings, are controlled by two things in live that don't really work together. One is motivation, two is fear. I can explain the former better because that's what I aspire to be, a motivated person or person with a goal. I'm very happy to have been helped by Encline, Big Hank, and some of the people in this forum even though my English is crappy and faulty at best. Even so, like recently, Encline and Big Hank still want to spend some of their time to help me out and answer all of my questions. My poor English skill is due to the fact that I live in a country that doesn't accept any other language besides its national language and so, coupled with the poor education system in my country, most of us can't speak English. I believe miss Sabsabby85 can vouch for me because I live in Indonesia and she lives in Singapore (am I right?). But that didn't stop me from learning English by myself. Joining forums such as this one improves my English quiet exponentially. I love learning and even though I live in a country that doesn't use English I am still motivated to learn this language no matter the odds.

Fear is a very interesting topic. Fear is the #1 reason why there are a lot of people who live in poverty today. Because when it comes to money, most people are ruled by fear. Fear of taking risks in investing, fear of losing job, fear of not having much money when they retire, and the list goes on and on. This is also the reason why those people hate you guys so much. Instead of being inspired, they feel like you guys are competitors and need to be beaten in the only way they know, by attacking your morale. Making you feel down or just angry is what gives them the satisfaction of being able to discourage you, however little the impact is on you. They don't want to try and be better, because they are comfortable with who they are today. Thus jealousy is all they have.

Sorry for writing so much on this topic. There are, in fact, more to this but I think I've pretty much summarized it so that you can read them without having to put on your reading glasses. The fact is: they fear you. Know that, remember that, and later when you read bad comments from whoever, know that you are better than them. Stay on top of the game, improve yourself to perfection. Some parents, to this day, say that being on the top of the class and graduate summa cum laude is the only way to get a good job in a big company, but look at those big CEOs, take Bill Gates, Ted Turner, Michael Dell, and Richard Branson for example, most of them are college drop-outs and they own big companies where those smart people are working. Don't listen to people no matter who they are when you have a motivation in your life. Set up goals and find ways to reach them. I'm not saying don't listen to your parents, I'm saying respect them, listen to them, but if they're telling you things that you know for certain to be wrong then don't let that get you down. I hope this makes sense and help you guys feel better. I have seen works done by those of you who have posted here and I, the only guy in tfw2005 forum who has only 2 transformers figures, am inspired and I really am grateful to know some of you guys. Kudos.

11. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

Man, that some deep stuff dude.

12. Sabrina_Ng

Ebay:
    OOps..I think that you've missed out one thing. The fact that these people target the artists. Not their works :( 

13. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    Well let me ring in on a positive note.

I've been doing customs since I was a kid. It started out as little paint-accents, and eventually moved up to scratch-builds and heavy-modifications. Lots of different steps along the way, a years-detour painting wargame-miniatures for instance, but some flavor of the hobby was always there, and I learned from all of it.

Despite all the time honing my craft however (and possibly BECAUSE I never focused on any one aspect), my finished products never hit the point where they wow'ed anyone (Well my miniature word WAS very good, and I've won a few minor contests, but that was a LONG time ago...).

I too was jealous of the "Big Names" for a while, I'd look at their works, I'd criticize what I would have done differently, etc. HOWEVER, I never attacked them, I kept my negative thoughts to myself, and I DID praise them (from time to time), because even if I didn't agree with their vision, I did appreciate their workmanship.

Some of the first few CRAZY ebay-auctions drove me to fantasies of "Well shoot, I could do that kind of work if I had some more spare time! I should get in on this action!" But, in the end, I realized that my life-path has NOT left me with the time required to do THAT level of work. With that realization, I left all the jealousy behind, and began to truly appreciate the folks both lucky-enough, and probably burdened by, the opportunity to peruse this kind of work professionally.

I've been building a professional fiction-career for years, and have only barely broken in. My ex-wife was a professional artist, and I watched her struggle. The arts are a HARD life, and I know it, ESPECIALLY anything niche, let alone THIS niche. My hat is off to anyone brave enough to walk this path!

So having swallowed my pride at last, I decided to become a patron of this little community. And I'm ever so glad I did. I've been having a blast getting to know all the talented artists around these parts, and filling my collection-shelves with a variety of works by artists with a variety of styles.

After dreaming of all the customs I wanted to have, but could never find the time to do the work, or at least not the level of work I wanted, these hard-working generous geniuses have opened the door to finally making my vision a reality.

The naysayers be damned!
    D/L

14. encline

News Credits:
    WOW!! THIS HAS BECOME A GREAT THREAD!!!!

Honesty, be it negative or positive, is always the best. Just the delivery is the most important.

15. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ok, youngkykun said it best so far, and sir, you rock for it! But with such a serious thread, it is within my nature to try and lighten the mood. So without further adue:

So long as the crabs are in the bucket and not my pants, I'm all good!

Sorry, just felt it somewhat needed :D  carry on.

16. fateastray

fateastray AnakRepublikMalukuSelatan

In a different perspective, it can be frustrating to see your topic hardly gets any views, while a bigger-artist-topic gets 1000 replies. It's no fun to have the feeling your project is overseen. So the emotion of feeling left out and thus taking it out on those who manage successes by just putting their names on a topic is, in my opinion, more than just jealousy.

I dunno...Thought It'd make sense.

17. eisen

eisen "CUT ME SOME SLACKS!"

i want to ask you people, what drives you to customize? :D 

it may seem simple to ask but you'll find the logic behind you doing what you do has a LOT to do with the people out to get you. in regards to Satomiblood's post, that's EXACTLY what i think is happening.

it's like people racing each other to get the most hits on their customs. you want proof? look at how many ROTF Prime customs are out there. one puts out something great, another tries to improve on it then another guy puts a twist on his version.

it's the will to outdo your competitors that brings out those crabs that try to bring you down. or it's probably from the other guys as well thinking they're helping out their favorite customizer by pulling down competition for him/her. what's worse is the guy/gal being idolized might not have wanted that to happen in the first place. especially if he/she's a close friend.

once you stop running the rat race and put your focus on why you REALLY want to be a customizer, you don't have to chase after the next big thing, and you'll just let loose with your creativity and originality.

peace out, Cons'

18. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    im guessing this is what you want by bucket no? :p 

Attached Files:

19. Sabrina_Ng

Ebay:
    Ahah! Imagine getting your finger in the bucket of pissed of crabs!!

20. Yaujta

Yaujta Not a Bear TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Along the lines of the 'popularity contest', the thread star feature is pointless. When it's mentioned in the thread by the OP about the number of stars they're getting, then it's lost it's validity and the thread is subject to getting slammed. I haven't done it myself, but I can see the reasoning.

As for the jealousy or fear, I try not to hold eBay prices or whatnot on the same level as the actual custom. Seeing the figure without seeing the name or pricetag lets you appreciate the art rather than the celebrity. Unfortunately, this is really hard to do when the name is well known and the topic is filled with fan-boy ass-kissing. There's no room for constructive criticism when the figure is done and for sale. But as Sabsabby stated, it isn't the art but the artist that gets attacked.
    In the case of attacks, it's sad but inevitable. If someone puts themselves out there in the spotlight expecting to be loved by one and all, then they're deluded.
    I sometimes see it as the arrogance of the custom-poster that leads to attacks in many ways. Some people can't handle criticism, and when it's offered in a thread rife with back-slapping, then it's considered an attack. In that case, some poeple just like to 'poke the bear' when a sore point is found.

On a side note- I like Marilyn Manson's music, but I don't like the man. Because he can make music I listen to doesn't change the fact that I think he's an ass. I'll gladly buy his albums and listen to his songs, but I won't visit his message boards and post there.
    Same goes for this subject. I've been privy to some e-mails from outside the forums that discussed other lesser-known customizers in very derrogatory ways, and I find the attitude of some of the 'stars' to be atrocious and shameful. In that regard, I'll look at each thread and appreciate the art, but won't comment on a finished piece when it isn't appreciated or even listened to.