Court: High-speed chase suspects can't sue police

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bryan, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

http://www.cnn.com/2007/LAW/04/30/scotus.chase/index.html

I'd forgotten all about this incident. My heart goes out to the kid, but you place your bets and you take your chances. Don't see why the police should have to pay for his decision.

2. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I'm of two opinions on chases like this - On one hand, I think they are a necessary evil; if that person fleeing is a murderer, a dangerous chase may be the only way to catch him.

On the other hand, I feel like high-speed pursuits can do far more harm then good; if the car being chased is stolen, or a chase is on because of a misdemeanor or suspended license in this case, police should back off and avoid the chase.

Potentially wrecking a stolen car or killing a pedestrian or the person being chased isn't always the best solution. It seems police will start a high-speed chase over any infraction, and that should not be the case.

3. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

In the words of Chris Rock, "If the cops have to come get you, they're bringing an ass-whooping with them."

4. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

They shouldn't be allowed to sue. That's just dumb. Look at all the other lives they put in risk. The first thing out my mouth everytime I see one of these crazy idiots on the news is haven't they ever seen the news? They don't get ever away and most times it doesn't end pleasant. :rolleyes2 

5. Keiichitron

Keiichitron Not a physicist, dammit

Ebay:
    Police don't start high speed chases. The guy they're trying to pull over for his infraction starts it by not stopping and speeding away. And they didn't try to pull him for a suspended license, they tried to pull him for speeding.

6. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Police DO start high-speed chases, because if they didn't start chasing them, THERE WOULD BE NO CHASE. The guy running would most likely slow down after he gets away.

If they didn't chase them, perhaps they wouldn't keep running and create dangerous high-speed chase situations in the first place?

Like I said before, I'm not completely against them, but they often end badly for people other than the accused. What's wrong with just getting their plates, and tracking them down later in some situations, like a traffic ticket or a suspended license?

Is it really worth putting the public at risk every time some idiot runs a stop sign and then runs from the cops?

7. Keiichitron

Keiichitron Not a physicist, dammit

Ebay:
    That would work some of the time, but let's say it's a stolen car. Can't really run down the plates and find an address. Don't get me wrong, I understand your point, I just think that if you don't pursue, eventually everyone is just going to run from the cops instead of pull over.

8. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    What good does it do anybody to wreck the stolen car?

EDIT: I'll admit, if the car is stolen, that is a difficult call. If they don't chase, it may never be seen again. If they do chase, it may get destroyed, as well as taking the chance of injuring the public.

Police really need some kind of instant non-damaging vehicle immobilizer that can be used to avoid all of this.

9. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    Last year a 14 year old kid stole an earthmover from a construction site here in Tucson. He drove all over town in it and the cops were not able to stop him. After several warnings they fired their weapons at him when he started to drive towards their vehicles. He ended up paralyzed and the parents want to sue the Police Deptartment for $25 million. Fuck them.

link to story

10. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    What about if a Officer injures or kills an innocent person during the chase? That's where I thought this article was going.

11. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    If an officer injures or kills an innocent person during a high speed chase, he or she will likely face an internal hearing and probably face criminal charges, same as if he or she accidentally shot someone.

And if the police don't chase after someone, there's a greater chance that the person they're chasing could either go to ground and evade capture altogether, or take the opportunity to commit more crimes. It's the whole Uncle Ben thing.

12. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I agree that suspects should not be able to sue the police, but there DOES need to be a better way to prevent the chases from even occurring. I mean they set up road blocks anyway, why can't they use those and prevent the runner's escape?

13. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

People shouldn't be allowed to sue because they got hurt acting like asshats.That kid's lucky he even got out alive, trying to run from the cops is flat out stupid.

14. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    The moron had it coming, running from the cops. I feel for him, since his pecker likely doesn't work anymore. But lawsuits?

15. cybertron2006

cybertron2006 Fly By Clockwork Pictures

Dude, if you watch the first career movie on Need For Speed Carbon, it will show you the S.W.A.T. Team with vehicle immobilizers that stop all of the cars but yours. Catch my drift?

16. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

As much sense as that would make, I admit that I get an instant "BIG BROTHER" reaction when I hear a suggestion like this.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea--just that I'm instinctively opposed to it, and I'd need a lot of convincing that it wouldn't be abused by the state. Maybe a warrant system for using it?

17. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I agree entirely and feel the same way. I also would worry about abuse, but when you look at the alternative, it seems the lesser of two evils. It could be something like a focused beam, that when pointed at something (like a car's engine), could prohibit ignition or combustion.

Maybe put some kind of fail-safe on it, so it could only be activated for three minutes at a time, and its use is only allowed when someone is pulled over. Who knows, it doesn't even exist yet, as far as I know.

It seems the older I get, the more in favor I am of technologies like this. It's similar to my idea of GPS chipping ALL violent felons - no house arrest, no prison, just constant location monitoring. If something goes down, just check whoever was in the area at the time. Yes, EXTREMELY Big Brother, but it would sure keep felons in line, and rustle up the rat's nests. Nobody is going to want to pull any shit when they're around somebody with one of those.

It probably offends the Bill of Rights at every turn, but hey - it's an idea.

18. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I for one am glad that the Supreme Court has ruled that stupid criminals should be held responsible for their own actions.

And yes, anyone that runs from the police is a criminal, it is called evading and resisting arrest. Especially wonderful is when it's all caught on dashboard cam.

19. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

Very touchy subject. I comes down to poor judgement over good judgement.

20. Methos

Methos ...Hail Megatron

The chips would be nice but it wouldn't take long for someone to find away around that.

As for the chases,with all the new cars having electrical components,maybe some kind of focused emp beam.