Couple quick Superman questions. (Superboy-Prime, really...)

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Boo, Dec 19, 2009.

1. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    Yeah, so I'm just getting back into the swing of things with non-TF comics after about oh a 15 year lay off.

So, what's the deal with Superboy-Prime?
    Why is is sometimes called Superman-Prime?
    I understand his origin (his Sinestro Corps War issue filled me in) but I don't understand why he, and Earth-2 Superman honestly, are so much more damn powerful than the modern era Man of Steel?

I understand he first appeared sometime before/during Crisis On Infinite Earths, are there any other good stories about him? I know he's involved in Blackest Night (not there yet, no spoilers please) and he was pretty bad-ass during the Sinestro Corps War...

Umm, I think that's it for now. Thanks!

2. matrixprime

matrixprime AJ's Toy Chest Owner

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Superboy-Prime - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This pretty much sums everything up.

The name change was something DC toyed around with while DC was in a lawsuit over the rights to use the name "Superboy." As for the drastic differences in strength, I believe both Prime and Kal-L (E2 Superman) were supposed to represent the godlike powers of the silver age Superman. Anyway, the wiki is pretty interesting and has lots of info about him and how he factored into Crisis on Infinite Earths, Infinite Crisis, Sinestro Corp War, Countdown, not to mention the "punching reality."

Hope this helps!

3. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I really don't know much about Earth-2 Superman, but I thought he was more powerful because he didn't hold back like our Superman did. He seems to be filled with a lot more rage and I kind of figured that would make him more violent. Also he's older, isn't he? So maybe he just worked out more :lol  or had more battles to strengthen him. But I coul dbe totally wrong and I probably am. So yeah why is he more stronger? D: Kal El seems to always get whipped by him.

4. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    He's a fanboy with superpowers.

That's pretty much it.

5. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Pre-Crisis Kryptonians had a much, much higher power level than current era Kryptonians. Kal-L is the original pre-crisis Superman, who could move planets, obliterate solar systems with a sneeze, and had other, over-the-top super abilities (Super-ventriloquism, anyone?)

Superboy-Prime is all that, all the pre-crisis Kryptonian power, but without any of the restraint. He got his powers more or less in Crisis on Infinite Earths and never had a chance to learn how to hold back. Then we he turned evil, he plain decided that he wasn't going to hold back anymore.

His main appearances are:

Crisis on Infinite Earths
    Infinite Crisis
    Sinestro Corps War
    Countdown to Final Crisis
    Final Crisis: Legion of 3 Worlds

He's also in the current issues of Adventure Comics.

6. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Yeah basically in the 50's Superman could juggle planets and was really overpowered with kryptonite being his only weakness. So when the crisis came around they de-powered him and made his abilities less over the top. 4 people survived the crisis and were unaffected, Alexander Luthor, Golden age Superman and Lois Lane(Kent), and Superboy from an alternate universe. They were outside the universe, so they were unaffected by the changes, and have been watching the world for many years. Luthor and Prime decide the universe is screwed up, trick Superman into believing it too, and break out to FIX it. But they still have the over the top powers making them stronger than everyone in the DCU. Also since it's not his universe, kryptonite doesn't affect prime. So you basically have an emo teenager on a hissy fit with near god like powers. And almost nothing able to stop him.

7. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Actually, the Golden Age/Earth-2 Superman isn't that much more powerful than the current one. It was the Silver Age/Earth-1 Superman who was so ridiculously godlike. The Earth-2 version was intended to be closer to the earlier depictions of Superman, who hadn't picked up all his crazy powers yet. That's probably been changed a little bit, but the version of him we saw in Infinite Crisis definitely wasn't as powerful as the Earth-1 version (who hasn't been seen since Alan Moore's wonderful Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?).

Superboy Prime, on the other hand, comes from a time when Superman was crazy powerful and he's close to on par with the Earth-1 Superman.

And the "Superman Prime" thing comes from Countdown to Final Crisis, which was shit so just ignore it.

8. Boo

Ebay:
    Cool. Thanks for the info guys. All these different alternate universes DC has (had (has?)) are confusing as hell. Everything within the 'world' of Green Lantern and Green Lantern Corps so far has been pretty damn consistent, I'm almost afraid to venture outside of it... hence part of the reason I'm trying to get a good grasp on things before I move into Blackest Night and any other DCU-spanning events...

Soo...

Earth-1 Superman was the ridiculously overpowered Golden Age version.
    Earth-2 Superman was basically the Earth-1 version just brought back to a more reasonable power level and portrayed as middle aged.
    Earth-Prime Superboy/Superman has similar ridiculous power levels as Earth-1 version, except is a crazy out of control teenager and was the only superpowered being on his world.
    New Earth version is the current Superman that came about post-Crisis.
    How/Where does Kingdom Come Superman fit into the multiverse?

9. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Close.

Earth-1 is the ridiculously overpowered Silver Age version.
    Earth-2 is the Golden Age version with the lower power level more in line with his earlier appearance.
    The rest you've got right.

And Kingdom Come Superman is from one of the other parallel Earths. He showed up in JSA for awhile recently, where I think they said he was from Earth-22 or something like that.

10. Boo

Ebay:
    Cool. Makes sense!

11. Lunar Archivist

Lunar Archivist Well-Known Member

Er...not quite. No offense to other posters in this thread, but I think a few people are a bit confused. Okay, for the record:

Earth-One Superman: Kal-El, the insanely overpowered Silver Age version who could juggle planets and travel through time under his own power. Was adopted as a child by Jonathan and Martha Kent, essentially had his full range of powers since he was young, and was active as Superboy.

Earth-Two Superman: Kal-L, the "original" Superman as he appeared in his first appearance in 1938, originally adopted as a child by John and Mary Kent. He originally could only leap one-eighth of a mile rather than fly, his skin could only be penetrated by an exploding artillery shell, and he completely lacked any super-senses (though he would develop them later). As opposed to the Earth-1 Superman, he only developed the vast majority of his powers as an adult. His abilities peaked in middle age - when he was in 30s and 40s, at which point his power level was probably on par with the Earth-1 Superman - but declined as he got older. Even so, he's about as powerful as the contemporary Superman.

Superboy-Prime: Kal-El, the adopted son of Jerry and Naomi Kent from Earth-Prime, he had no superpowers whatsoever until exposure to Halley's Comet as a teenager somehow activated his until-then latent Kryptonian abilities, at which point he became at least as ridiculously overpowered as the Earth-1 Superman if not more so.

Superman (contemporary version): Kal-El, the modern age version of Superman from New Earth as he has appeared since John Byrne's revamp in 1986. While extremely powerful, his strength level is "still" only on par with the current level of the Earth-Two Superman, i.e. he can't move worlds or travel through time under his own power but can still survive in space without protection, for example, or easily survive a nuclear blast.

"Kingdom Come" Superman: Kal-El, the Earth-22 version of Superman, who comes from what we would regard as the future (roughly 20 to 30 years from now). His history was identical to that of the contemporary version of the character up until around 1996, at which point the timelines diverged (Wesley Dodds never committed suicide to escape Mordru, the Justice Society of America never reformed after the events of "Zero Hour", Jim Corrigan stayed on as the Spectre until at least the mid-21st century, etc.) and his Earth took a turn for the worse when the superhero community took Magog's lead and began indulging in a murderous brand of vigilante justice, resulting in a world where superheroes routinely killed supervillains and fought each other without consideration for the "collateral damage" that occurred along the way. Disappointed that humanity had initially supported extremist superhuman policies, he retired to the Fortress of Solitude for 10 years until the destruction of Kansas and the death of millions as a result of Magog's recklessness convinced him to return.

12. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Dead-on summary, but two addendums to this part:

- Unlike Earth-1 Superman, Earth-2 Superman and "contemporary" Superman, Superboy-Prime is apparently invulnerable to magic.
    - For some reason or another, Kryptonians are only vulnerable to Kryptonite from their native universe. Ie - Kryptonite from New Earth can't harm Superboy-Prime. However, in the Earth-Prime universe Superboy-Prime is from, Krypton was incinerated by its star and didn't explode, so there is no Kryptonite in that reality. The only time Superboy-Prime has been shown to be affected by Kryptonite was when the Element Lad from Earth-Prime used his powers to make some.

13. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    If you like Green lantern I recommend JSA and Teen titans when Johs was writing them. He was on JSA for the longest time.

14. Lunar Archivist

Lunar Archivist Well-Known Member

An addendum to your addendum: in his original appearance, Superboy-Prime was apparently also unaffected by red solar radiation. However, he has since developed a weakness to it, whether it was from the manner in which he was imprisoned on an alternate Earth for years by Kid Flash, Barry Allen, Max Mercury, and Johnny Quick, a side effect of being repowered by Alexander Luthor of Earth-Three, the power armor he built from the Anti-Monitor's technology, or simply a delayed onset of vulnerablity is unknown (I'm discounting writer's error an explanation). :) 

Also:

[​IMG]

15. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I just want to say, I heart Super-Boy/Man Prime.

16. DarthCrusher

DarthCrusher Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Fixed. That other one never happened. :tongue: 

17. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

That must be a lonely club. Considering the nerd rage I keep getting over the character. :dunce 

But since I feel like giving my own run-down.

Earth 2 Superman: Was created in the 60's to keep golden age stories in continuity. All golden age DC stories happened in this universe. They made some changes Superman's Kryptonian names was Kal-L, his cousin Kara Zor-El was called Powergirl (and that's thee PG by the way), and Alan Scott was Blue Lantern rather than Green. His solar powers (super vison powers, flight, ability to smash mountains) developed after he became Superman. In the begining he had the Action Comics #1 powers. Ability to leap 1/8th of a mile, lift a couple tons, eidedic memory, genius level intellect. Which were all natural to Kryptonians.

Superboy-Prime: Silver age Kryptonian abilities. That is so over blown it gets rediculous. Strong enough to move planets with little effort, can fly across the entire universe without breathing aids. Can fly throw time itself. Super vison, x-ray, heat, and telescopic, and microscopic. Weakness to Kryptonite (of which there were 10 varieties), and magic. Nothing else could actually hurt him, period.

Also this:
    [​IMG]

New earth Superman: Current Superman created after the Crisis on infinite earths. Has the same bag of tricks that the silver age version does. Just 2/3 less potency.

Also at the end of the Crisis on infinite earths Superboy-Prime, Earth-2 Superman, Lois Lane, and Alexander Luthor II were all sent to a paradise demension to live in forever after.

18. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Just one of the many reasons that I love the character and everything Johns does with him. He's meant to be over-the-top, ridiculous, and insanse, that is exactly what's so cool about him.

19. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

I agree. I really like Superboy Prime and I read everything that he's in (except Countdown). He's a fun character even if he's a little too whiny sometimes.

20. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I really liked Superboy-Prime up until the end of Sinestro Corps War. He was entertaining, made a good villain and the character worked as a subtle allegory. However, beyond the end of SCW, Johns seemingly gave up on any subtlety with the meta-commentary, to the point that it's gotten heavy-handed and completely overwhelmed the character. I've followed SBP up through Blackest Night, but can't see picking up any of his future appearances.