Couple questions on Masterpiece figures..

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by NGW, Jun 10, 2007.

1. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    How many are there, and which characters are they? I know MP01 is Prime, MP03 is SS, and MP05 is Megatron...are there more or is that all?

Also, of the three which would you most recommend? I was thinking SS since he's my favorite G1 character (and most likely overall favorite), but what with the upcoming US release of him in G1 colors (which actually work on this mold..unlike movie SS) I'm not really sure.

I've heard both good and bad on Megs (the transformation being a big problem from what I've heard).

Prime..eh I dunno

Also, what exactly is the Masterpiece line? I know they have diecast parts (sorta) and are for the most part really good representations, but why so expensive?

2. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    MP-02 - Ultra Magnus (White Prime repaint)
    MP-04 - Prime with Trailer
    MP-06 - Skywarp (repaint of MP-03) *not yet released*

3. Mumps

Mumps <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

The price is pretty much based on how detailed and complex the figures are.

IMO, they are all worth the price.

Prime is a great figure in Bot mode. Vehicle mode, not as much. But he has a great transformation.
    SS, people say he is a tad small, but when you think about it, his Jet mode would be HUGE is his Bot mode was in scale with Prime.
    Megs is great in both modes! Though his cannon is too big, and you can't pose him very well...

I love em all.

4. ActionMasterZod

ActionMasterZod LarzArz on twitter, man.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If you want to get MP Screamer I would wait till the american release of him in anime colors. But convoy is the first and the best of them all from what I have heard. Nice transformation, but not to hard. I hope that they eventually bring all of the masterpeice figures over to america. Because I don't really like buying online.

5. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Because it's a Japanese toyline. And from what I've been told their Japanese price is comperable to 20-ann Primes. There are 5 relases in the line with a 6th on the way. They are MP-01 Prime, MP-02 Ultra Magnus (Prime repaint), MP-03 Starscream, MP-04 Complete Convoy (has a Transforming trailer) (that you can't buy seperate), MP-05 Megatron, MP-06 Skywarp (SS repaint).

Plus before you go and spend the $$ on getting a MP Screamer. There is the semi-confirmed existance of a Hasbro toon accurate release of the mold.

6. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Starscream is going to get a US release that looks better than the Japanese version IMO - you might want to wait for that one.

7. ActionMasterZod

ActionMasterZod LarzArz on twitter, man.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Arent they making a "Complete version" of MP-05?
    Will that be MP-07? Or will it just be a re-release of MP-05?

8. Scourge_151

Scourge_151 Dangerous when naked! TFW2005 Supporter

MP Prime is awesome, and of course you can get him with his trailer now if you really want.
    I'd recommend either version of MP prime, and sort of by definition Magnus as well as it's just a repaint and therefore has all of Prime's cool bits, Megatron and MP screamer if you can't wait or the US cartoon coloured version if you can.

9. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Justi-toys (I think thats right) are making sets of the acessories, so he can be assembled as the full rifle thing. (Parts apparently not yet confirmed to be able to all fit in gun mode, but definately as extra bot-weapons)

10. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Thanks for the info guys.

I think I will just hold off and wait for the US release of MP SS...any idea how much it'll cost or will it most likely be the same as the japanese releases?

11. chaosbringer_00

chaosbringer_00 I am indescribable.

MP/20th Prime: The absolute best version of G1 Prime ever made. Great posability, cartoon accurate, fun gimmicks, decent alt mode, awesome transformation. He's also a total brick (NOT posability wise)--you could probably bludgeon someone to death with him and he wouldn't be harmed. The only cons (no pun intended) are that the american releases have shortened smokestacks and that, being made from diecast, his paint chips (relatively) easily. In short, if you don't have him, GET HIM.

MP Starscream: Personally I don't own him. However, a lot of people don't like his paint scheme, and I hear that he is exceptionally fragile.

MP Megatron: All kinds of awesome. Awesome transformation, perfect cartoon accuracy, fun accesories, perfect alt mode, fairly good posability. However, he is more fragile than Op, and if you don't pay attention when transforming him, it's easy to snap off something (like I did). All in all, though, the pros outweigh the cons. He is a fantastic figure and a great counterpart to MP Prime.

Hope this helps. Also, as far as the US release of 'Screamer, 20th Prime was anywhere from (U.S.) $60-80, so it would be safe to assume that Starscream would be at a similar price point.

12. unclemarsellus

unclemarsellus Imaginaut

One thing to keep in mind is the quality control differences in the Prime's. If you want a Masterpiece Prime, I'd suggest you find an MP-01 from the very first production run in '03. There was a second run made before the MP-04 came out but that one has frequently come up with quality control issues. If you want the trailer, get MP-04 as well but the Prime that came with it is also usually rife with quality control problems. I've owned all of them a few times over so I say this with experience. So if you want MP-01, make sure you ask if it's from the first production run. Hopefully the dealer will be honest. There aren't too many left out there.

13. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    The MP03 Starscream has QC problems too. And the fragility of the thing is one unlike any other TF EVER! At least that's the impression I'm given on the posts about it when it was first released.

14. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    I have no problems whatsoever with any of the MP figures.

15. unclemarsellus

unclemarsellus Imaginaut

I owned a couple of MP Starscream's and not one had quality control issues. Paint and construction were both perfect, both times. I never thought he was that fragile either. I believe he feels more fragile than he actually is. Other than those floppy lower legs after they're extended, he's pretty solid. As opposed to Megatron who genuinely worries me.