Customs: Couple of Questions from a NOOB

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Dex17113, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Dex17113

Dex17113 Well-Known Member

Okay....

So I want to attempt my first custom - a Masterpiece Soundwave - and I have a couple of questions if I may ask the Customizing Gods here:

1. Is there a place to buy good joints/ariculated hands/heads/etc? I'm curious how one goes about adding joints and such....do you have to bash another figure just to get the joint you want? HELP!

2. So....airbrushing the best choice for paint? If so, is there a prefered paint that you find works best?

Thanks for your help!

Dex

2. thyvipera

thyvipera ThyVipera

i guess it's hard to explain. just keep in mind the required transformation, and try and find joints from other figures that will allow the same transformation and add additional articulation. lots of trial and error.

for an oversized KO soundwave, MP starscream/skywarp hands, MP prime hands, and 07 movie prime (leader) work really well for him.

airbrushing would be the way to go for base coats. and the type of paint to use, everyone has their own favorite. enamels, acrylics, laquers.

3. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

On the airbrushing thing, I'd just like to point out that it's a way to go, not the way. Great if you have an airbrush and are good with it, but it's by no means the only option. Spray paints are just as valid, and indeed some of us get by quite happily with just our brushes...

4. thyvipera

thyvipera ThyVipera

I didn't mean anything by saying "the" way to go. I use rattle cans all the time.

I just wanted to state that it's the most effective way, IMO.

with an airbrush, you can mix the perfect color for the base coat (which sometimes I find hard to locate with rattle cans), and unless you have experience with rattle cans, it's very easy to over-due the spray coverage, and apply too much paint. with an airbrush, you can adjust the psi, and get very smooth, thin layers of paint. And dries a lot quicker than spray paint.

hand brush, spray paint, air-brush, whatever, you can achieve amazing paint apps.

5. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Well, ambitious first project....

I'd say since it's your first, don't invest in an airbrush, I have one, and while it's great, half the time I don't use it, it's not a necessity. Get spray paints instead.

If you want joints, go buy Lego/Asoblocks/MSG. I'd stay away from the last one, though.

6. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Dex17113, first of all, welcome to TFW2005.com and our Creative section here! I hope that if you haven't already, that you orient yourself with our Tutorials here.

Unless you have a completely clear vision with this MP Soundwave, and you're totally confident in your skill set to pull it off, I'd have to say that I'd recommend starting out a bit smaller and work your way up to this project.

I hope I've been of some help here :) 

7. nellie131

nellie131 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yep to add to SQ7 post - start small. maybe a couple of scout or legends TF's first then tackle the MP soundwave. just until you figure out paint techniques and dis-assembly and the like.

but dont give up on your project. if you want to do it then go for it! however the one word that will help you is - patients. and remember keep us posted on how you get along!

8. Dex17113

Thanks for the advice, gang!

I might start with a smaller project, but ultimately Soundwave is going to get done. I have to check a few of the other threads I've seen on here regarding heads and such...and then I think I'll be ready to go. I'll be sure to keep folks updated on what I do. Please be gentle when I post pics....it will be my first time! :) 

9. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Oh, Soundwave should totally get done. :D 

They are right though; it's always a good idea to start yourself off with smaller, more manageable (and affordable) customs to get your feet wet. You don't want to go into a big expensive project completely cold and find yourself wasting a lot of money on messed-up parts because you didn't have a good grasp on what you were doing.

It's a little different if you're coming into your first kitbash but with a background of modelling experience from other fields (like tabletop wargaming or model kits), as the skills are very transferrable, but if you haven't really modelled before, you probably want to start off with something a hair less ambitious (working on Scouts and KOs is always good training) to build up your painting, modding, and even styrene building and sculpting techniques. :) 

10. Dex17113

Yeah I'm thinking smaller might be better at first based on what I've read here.....

I'd really like a Brawn figure....That might be something to start with.