Countdown to Final Crisis - major spoilers

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by General Magnus, Apr 16, 2008.

1. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

It is later revealed that Darkseid had turned Jimmy Olsen into a container for the powers of the New Gods. He sends Mary Marvel, whom he had coerced into taking back her dark powers, to capture him. Superman comes to Jimmy's aid, only for Darkseid to take control of Jimmy's powers, making him radiate Kryptonite. Ray Palmer manages to shut off Darkseid's control, and the villain is confronted by a gigantic turtle-like Jimmy. After batteling Jimmy across the Metropolis landscape, Darkseid moves in for the kill only to witness The Atom emerge from Jimmy' head. Palmer quickly destroies the vessel of the New Gods powers freeing them into the void. Enraged Darkseid is taken by suprise when a BOOM TUBE opens above the skies of Metropolis. His scion and son Orion emerges from the tube, having managed to escape being murdered by the Infinity Man. Orion and Darkseid battle, and after a furious exchange, at the end of it all, Darkseid reailizes it was not meant to be and his heart is ripped from his chest by his own son. The Fourth World was no more...

2. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

Didn't exactly see that coming. There was something off about the reactions of everyone watching "the end," probably to blame on the abruptness of what transpired, but what an ending it was.

Next week, the Countdown is over. Yay.

3. Schide

Schide Buyer of Too Much

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I just read this and....

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh man, this just keeps getting worse and worse, doesn't it?

4. Ted Kord

Ted Kord Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly. I never realized they could actually make me want to see Mary Marvel die.

5. Schide

Schide Buyer of Too Much

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't want her to die, I just to go back to when her character wasn't ruined by incompetent writing.

6. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

:lol 

I haven't followed Countdown from the beginning, thankfully! Some of the stuff that's transpired over that time is just... I don't even know what. I've only caught up right before 15 or around there, just enough to keep me in the loop, and am glad I'm not the one paying for them. I hope the next weekly series delivers a lot more than Countdown has.

7. wolfnfox

wolfnfox Well-Known Member

Well you can pretty much skip the entire first half of Countdown without missing anything. It wasn't until about #20-16 that it became interesting but it started to peter out again.

8. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    I can't believe DC claimed this was the "spine of the DC Universe". It's been nothing but a cluster fuck of stories with NOTHING to them; except for the fact they ruined other stories (coughSinestroCorpsWarcough).

I recently tried re reading the entire series turns out I missed 29 to 26 and I didn't even notice.

And what's up with the pathetic cash cowing with the Arena series? It had no bearing, because they entire army they built up was killed over the course of three issues.

This was the biggest waste of money ever. I wish I could send them off to DC and get a refund.

9. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

when did Mary turn bad again....when she went back to good girl Mary, wasn't she chillin with Challengers of the Unknown group???

10. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well at least they -are- attempting to respect the original Fourth World lore (the rippage, I guess). Death Of The New Gods had me thinking it'd ALL been thrown out the window.

11. Schide

Schide Buyer of Too Much

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Around issue...4? Yeah, they arrived back on Earth-1 and then Mary went to her apartment and Darkseid was randomly there, and he offered Mary more power even though she already got her powers back. So she accepted for no good reason and randomly turned evil.

It was pretty much as stupid as it sounds.

12. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Jimmy Olsen as a cosmic power is just...wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong. So glad I dropped this after issue 51.

13. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    just curious, what makes you say countdown ruined sinestro corp war?

and i'm glad i stopped buying countdown awhile ago...wish i had quit before...need to see if i can find someone who wants the first half of the series now...

14. Wreckie

Wreckie Holder of the Discomatrix

Ebay:
    Kyle Rayner turned up as a GL in Countdown while still possessed by Parallax in Sinestro Corps War, thereby removing any suspense about whether or not he'd become Ion again, or even survive the story.

15. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

yeah that one about Kyle kinda sucked...but same goes for any other crossover title...there's bound to be spoilers.

16. Strikeback

Strikeback Drifting Away

I got out of Countdown after the first issue, when the "major character death" turned out to be friggin' Joker's Daughter.

17. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Mary Marvel's sudden switch was the most jarring thing for me. I hope that the rest of the Shazam family show up to smack some sense into her and soon.

Also, I thought the shocking death early on was meant to be Lightray. IIRC, he was the first New God to be offed in the comic. Not sure if that was the first issue, though. I get my comics monthly, so I tend to read this one in sitting and it all blends together. I think it is more enjoyable like that.

18. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

....That makes everything Marvel's been up to sound like friggin' Shakespeare man. I mean, that just sounds horrible.