Countdown to Bumblebee...one G1 episode a day!

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by TheSoundwave, Sep 29, 2018.

1. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Hooked on a Feeling!

News Credits:
    I should have started this thread yesterday, but by the time I realized it, it was too late!

Yesterday was exactly 83 days until Bumblebee! Turns out there are 83 episodes in the G1 cartoon, if you combine the multi-part episodes and eliminate the movie. I'm going to be watching one episode (or arc) a day until up until Bumblebee! I encourage anyone who wants to play along to do so, it's going to be a lot of fun!

As for me, this will be the first ever time I've seen many of these episodes (I only saw a handful as a kid, and haven't watched it much since). It's kind of neat, since I'm highly nostalgic for the characters, visuals, soundtrack, and all. It almost feels like getting a continuation of a show I grew up with! I'm probably not going to post reviews for each episode, but I'll point out anything I find worth discussion.

Yesterday: More than Meets the Eye parts 1, 2, and 3
    Today: Transport to Oblivion
    Tomorrow: Roll For It

(If the moderators feel this would be more appropriate in the general discussion or the cartoon section, feel free to move it.)

• Like Like x 3
  2. Unicrons Herald

Unicrons Herald Chaos Bringer

That sounds like an interesting way to countdown. :) 

• Like Like x 2
  3. Terrellatron

Terrellatron REPAIR REPAIR REPAIR

News Credits:
    Ok lets mirror eachother I'll watch transformers animated

• Like Like x 4
  4. TheSoundwave

News Credits:
    Animated is actually next on my list of TF shows to watch!

5. primal789

primal789 Prime

News Credits:
    Why not Prime or Beast Wars?

• Like Like x 1
  6. TheSoundwave

News Credits:
    I'm actually planning to rewatch Prime soon, but I want to do Animated first. I'll also check out Beast Wars at some point.

• Like Like x 2
  7. primal789

primal789 Prime

News Credits:
    I recommend Beast Wars will all my spark haha.After I finished it,looking back on it I can only be amazed by the story(it's in my top 3 series and TF Prime is in there too).I watched Animated once but that's it,I'm not planningto revisit that although I'm happy other people enjoy it as I never could have.I still think good things came out of that series for example Lockdown and Bulkhead.

• Like Like x 2
  8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Do Beast Wars man of man. If you liked TFA you'll probably like, if not love, BW.

• Like Like x 3
  9. TheSoundwave

News Credits:
    I've heard a lot of good things about it, so I'll make sure I check it out soon!

10. Livingdeaddan

Livingdeaddan Gotta get to sleep somehow...

News Credits:
    182 days to go for me. Guess I can fit in a few episodes.

11. Azuzu98

Azuzu98 Whatever

News Credits:
    Damn 182 days?Where do you live btw?

12. Livingdeaddan

Livingdeaddan Gotta get to sleep somehow...

News Credits:
    Japan. It’s not even set, it might be later. The release date is just “spring”, it’s 182 days till April 1st. But it’ll possibly come out at Goldenweek (long bank holiday weekend) which is May 1st.

I’ll have streamed it long before then!

• Like Like x 1
  13. TheSoundwave

News Credits:
    Well, I finished season 1 on Tuesday! I was under the impression that I had only seen a handful of season 1 episodes, but I had actually seen a good amount.

Judging by this season, I honestly think the cartoon holds up better than some people give it credit for. There's some really fun and creative storytelling in there. Even with the animation errors and some weird logic (for instance, why did they wait several episodes before reviving Skyfire?), I feel like there's a certain 'epicness' to G1 that hasn't really been captured in many of the recent TF cartoons. Maybe that's just nostalgia talking, but something about it feels a bit more sincere and shameless.

• Like Like x 4
  14. G1DeadEnd

G1DeadEnd Bring on 5, 6, 7 & 8!

News Credits:
    This thread, inspires me to start re-watching G1 this weekend. I'll probably also start re-reading my original Marvel run of the Transformers comic books.
    I love season two. Feels like I've last watched it 20 years ago.

15. TheSoundwave

News Credits:
    Growing up I recall enjoying what I saw of Season 2 a little more than Season 1. Season 2 seems a lot longer than Season 1, so I've probably only seen a fraction of those episodes. I'm looking forward to seeing more of them! I actually missed yesterday's episode, so I have two to watch today (technically 3, since Dinobot Island is a two-part episode).

Would you say Marvel's original Transformers comics are worth reading? IDW's stuff has been kind of hit or miss for me (I liked Infiltration, but I've been iffy on the newer stuff).

• Like Like x 1
  16. G1DeadEnd

News Credits:
    Just watched the MTMTE thee parter, with my four year old daughter and her baby sis (almost two year old), who fell asleep.
    My older one said she thought Megatron was the scariest Decepticon, and Prime the happiest Autobot, and that he's very brave. Bumblebee was cute in her opinion and she really liked Hound, as well as the twins Sunstreaker and Sideswipe - she asked me how they became brothers, if the TF's were built by aliens. I said I wasn't sure, and hopefully we'll find out later.
    She was really invested in the characters, and worried about them each time someone got hurt. The seekers also impressed her, and commented on how she didn't know they could transform into "those things" (the tetra jets on Cybertron). Ravage and Rumble were also favorites, as well as Soundwave's voice and abilities. There is more stuff, but I don't wanna bore you!

The G1 run has great comic book art (I personally preffer the 60's - 80's classic styles, to todays').
    The stories do have an overall arch, which sometimes flows better, sometimes not, from issue to issue. It feels as though they were exploring different things, themes, switching up the focus from issue to issue. Big world stories, and personal smaller stories. My favorite is the one, in which Megatron is stuck in gun mode (or maybe he just can't quite remember, he's the leader of the Decepticons for some reason), and a bullied guy finds him, and uses Megs for bullying people, turning into a really threatening menace, because Megatron is a powerful weapon ...

The Dinobots have a varied introduction, from the cartoon series, and most of the conflicts, and relationships in general, are original, and don't follow the show. For example Shockwave isn't the loyal guardian of Cybertron, but instead challenges Megatron.

I'd give it a read, if you can, at least try to get the first five issues, or so.

• Like Like x 2
  17. TheSoundwave

News Credits:
    That's really neat to hear! It's nice that classic Transformers (really, any Transformers) still impresses children today. I was the same way as them when I was younger, always asking questions about the lore and whatnot. My parents weren't experts on the brand, so most of my knowledge came from guide books I could get my hands on at bookstores and libraries. I ate up any tidbits about the Transformers that I possibly could!

One thing that's neat about G1 is that it's very sincere in it's approach. Unlike some of the modern interpretations, there wasn't really a 'self-aware' quality to it. It was presented in a pretty straightforward manner, even when it was comical. I'm curious if that makes children a bit more invested.

I'll definitely have to look into those, I've heard only good things about them. That Megatron storyline especially sounds interesting, because I love it when they use the alternate modes as a plot device.

• Like Like x 2
  18. G1DeadEnd

News Credits:
    It's called Robot Master, and it's issue # 15. (Just checked).

Yes, I think you're right - the sincerity of the original show ... um ... shows :) 

• Like Like x 1
  19. TheSoundwave

News Credits:
    This morning I got caught up on the episodes I missed from yesterday and the day before. I only had two episodes to watch after all, turns out I was mistaken - Dinobot Island isn't until later (I'm going by TFWiki's 'production order' list, not Wikipedia's 'release order'). If you're following along, today's episode is "Attack of the Autobots".

Yesterday's episode was "City of Steel", which is a very special episode for me. This was the second piece of Transformers fiction I ever saw (the first being "Prime Problem". These were both on a VHS I found at Goodwill back in 2006 (the year I first became a fan).

Growing up, this was my Transformers 'movie':

rhino1.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  20. G1DeadEnd

News Credits:
    You're ahead of me, I 've just started the third disc of season one! That is a sweet cover! City of Steel, and a Prime Problem are very memorable!