Could Unicron ever work in a live-action film?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by johnboy3434, Oct 11, 2009.

1. johnboy3434

johnboy3434 Well-Known Member

Well, I just saw the 2007 movie for the first time a couple days ago. I was expecting an overblown toy commercial, similar to some of the... less inspired Marvel issues that I encountered in my big readthrough on the comics board. I realize the fandom is somewhat divided over this, but I have to say that it blew my socks off. One of the best summer action films I have ever seen.

Anyway, I've already got RotF on pre-order from Wal-Mart (damn IMAX scenes) and am looking forward to it, but I started thinking. Unicron is basically the single greatest enemy in the entire TF franchise, and my initial thought was that seeing him in TF3 or 4 (don't kid yourself; it's coming) would be enough awesome to cause spontaneous orgasms in every male within a ten block radius of the theater.

Then I really started thinking about the mechanics of it. Scale is a big concern in the live action films, with few notable exceptions (giant novelty glasses, etc.). Unicron, even if he was cut down to Death Star size, would be a huge logistical problem if any semblance of realistic scale was going to be maintained. Like it says on the TFWiki page for Scale, any shot that features a normal TF interacting with a recognizable part of Unicron is utterly ludicrous. And let's face it, you don't create a planet-sized bad guy without giving him a spectacular fight scene.

So, it seems to me that Unicron won't ever be featured in a live-action film. The only way he would is if they scaled him down to about the size of Manhattan, which would basically eliminate the reason for including him at all (i.e., an enemy big enough to have his own gravity well).

Your thoughts?

2. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl

Personally, no. No, I don't think Unicron would ever work in a live-action film. The CGI for a planet-transforming monstrous robot would be far too expensive, and they could never be able to fully show him in all of his monstrous glory on screen. It just won't work.

3. Autobot-Girl

Autobot-Girl is possibly insane

I agree, plus, I don't see any good way to kill him off or drive him away without it being somewhat lame.

4. Unicron the Pla

Unicron the Pla Cybertronian Accountant

I honestly dont see the mighty Unicron in a live action movie, he will probably end up like Galactus did in the second Fantastic Four movie.

5. Mr. Sparklebot

Mr. Sparklebot 'Til All Are Juan

News Credits:
    Agreed. They already did that with Devastator, pulling a rail gun outta their asses. A very disappointing way to get rid of something that had so much potential for, y'know, devastation.

6. Dran0n

Dran0n miss me w/ that

News Credits:
    I can't see it happening. I also don't want them to make another balls joke..

7. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl

This.

8. johnboy3434

Balls joke? Should I look up what you guys are talking about, or wait to see it when my BD gets here?

9. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl

Wait until you get ROTF. Then you'll see what we're talking about.

10. jerky123

jerky123 PSN=deadpoolistheman

News Credits:
    NO. And if it does happen, fans will complain that he is diffrent from what they wanted. But all they asked for was Unicron, not a Unicron that doesn't have giant ro-balls, or one that doesn't have lines, etc.

The same thing happend in ROTF. You asked and received:
    -You wanted Soundwave, and you got him, he just
    was only on the screen for 10 seconds
    -You wanted Devastator, and you got him, he just
    had balls and died.

11. Obsidian X

Obsidian X Dork of the moon

Hold the Unicron please mr Bay.
    We know you want bigger, badder, explodier in every movie but that would be to much.
    Instead focus on the script please.

12. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Interesting question.

How would Michael Bay handle an enormous, dark entity from the dephs of space that threatens to destroy the earth? Does anyone think MB would touch the subject?

Jokes aside... I don't see why Unicron- or the Bayverse version of it- wouldn't be do-able.

13. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    in other words becareful what you ask more you just might get it as for Unicron he could work in Live Action but it would be very expensive as he alone would require epic amounts of computing power to animate and the plot surrounding him and his defeat /destruction would be difficult to do in such a way it both looks good and satisfies both the budget and the fans so i have to say No as i don't feel all those things can be done successfully

14. SpoonsTheSecond

SpoonsTheSecond Banned

Well I would like to see it, but I doubt it would happen. I wouldnt want him to talk though, he's more evil that way. Unless the voice was good.

15. johnboy3434

You say that like they wouldn't get Orson Welles to reprise the role.

16. Eric

Eric VOTE.

News Credits:
    No. Unicron's been done to death. I'm thankful that Animated didn't bother doing it (what with the monkeys at Cartoon Network canceling it for no reason whatsoever), so a Movieverse Unicron just won't work.

17. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl

Dude, Orson Welles passed away just as soon as he had finished recording the voice of Unicron in the 1986 movie... and even then, that wasn't 100% of his voice, as they ended up using the synthesizer because his real voice was so raspy. That was because he was old and in poor health at that time.

18. Harbinger

Harbinger ecnayonnA

only human i want hurting Unicron is Circuit breaker, and keeping that in the comics too. besides if Unicron does show up, i just know the US military will somehow play a major role in his defeat, and that is not what i would think of as epic.

19. John_Force

John_Force 16xNHRA Funny Car Champ

News Credits:
    It would be just like Dev's in ROTF. You see him combine, climb up the pyramids and then get shot to death by some Rail gun.
    Unicron is going to come out of space, start eating Earth and then the U.S army is going to come up with some superweapon that will probably kill unicron in one shot.
    Besides,Who's going to be the voice actor? Lets also not forget about the budget.

20. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Here's my idea for Unicron: Remember in G1 when Cybertron was warped into Earth's atmosphere and the Earth began to crumble? Well, what if Unicron is that type, like a sentient "Ultimate Weapon?" He wouldn't even need to transform into a robot. Perhaps, like Sideways in Armada, he could have a herald serve as his robot form?

Also, super-synth'd Leonard Nimoy for the voice.