Could Transformers Prime Hurt DOTM?

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by Spunky, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Spunky

Spunky Well-Known Member

I don't know if it was wise for Hasbro to air 26 episodes of Transformers Prime right before the movie comes out. TFP has already proven to be hugely popular among fans with surveys showing that the majority of them like it more than the movies. I hope Hasbro doesn't decide to show only a limited number of episodes before DOTM debuts and then continue the rest of the season later. It looks like even Bob Orci was vouching for it over the movies if he truly was making recent comments on AICN about DOTM news posted there. This poster, claiming to be Bob Orci, called Michael Bay a "right wing tool" who prevented the movies from becoming quite what they envision and even stated that fans like TF Prime more. This poster claims he tried to explain to Michael Bay that the original G1 cartoon was never a celebration of the military, but instead, and warning against over-militarization with the depiction of the Autobots' genesis for civilian purposes while the Decepticons were tasked for military roles. Bob Orci has posted comments on the AICN site in the past, so it could have been him. What do all of you think?

2. megatronatlas

megatronatlas Well-Known Member

I dont think it will hurt, most likely fans would want DOTM out sooner(fans like me). Of course my first impressions of Transformers:p rime are mixed.

3. Rodimus Primal

Rodimus Primal Well-Known Member

This is the last hurrah for Bayverse Transformers so I'm hoping that series ends with a big bang and lives up to expectations. Transformers Prime is the Transformers cartoon we've been waiting for since Armada.

4. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    How? These two are going to go head to in theaters. They are too different things opperating at different times. One you have to buy a ticket to see while the other requires cable-tv.

5. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    I doubt it. Both movies made 700 to 800 million each, so it's still gonna make a bunch, being a big summer tentpole movie franchise.

Though TF: Prime seriously has me considering skipping DOTM... I admit.

6. Rob

Rob IDW FOREVER

News Credits:
    Armada!?! I have been waiting since G1 :D 

7. Spunky

Spunky Well-Known Member

It's not that. It's just that if Transformers Prime proves itself to be more epic to many, I'm wondering if they may loose interest in seeing DOTM especially after reading the movie's synopsis which usually precedes its debut.

8. Spunky

Spunky Well-Known Member

I still think DOTM will make alot of money (I'm not seeing it). But will TFP cause it to not make as much money as it would have if the animated series didn't exist? Consequently, could it hinder movie toy sales somewhat?

9. Rodimus Primal

Rodimus Primal Well-Known Member

True but Beast Wars was a great series. It was this past decade that we've been waiting for a better Transformers series though.

10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    No, it couldn't. No matter how much we would like to think otherwise, the movies have a huge demographic compared to the TV Show, which is already limited because it's only on a specific channel at this point.

I won't skip DOTM. I can't watch the first two and never see the final part.

11. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    Nah. DOTM toys hit shelves May 2011, and TF: Prime toys hit shelves in November 2011. So don't get scared, there's a lot of time between the launches of each toyline. DOTM will do fine, especially since kids will recognize the movie characters and get every redeco of Bumblebee avaiable.

It's a given DOTM will make lots of money. People will go to see 2 and a half hours of robot mayhem to escape reality for a while. So the only thing that may hurt the box office of DOTM was the bad taste in parent's mouths of the crass sex humor from ROTF, and no Megan Fox for guys.

12. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Considering the similarities between the films and Prime, I'm sure that both will HELP each other and not hurt.

13. Spunky

Spunky Well-Known Member

Oh, I'm not scared since I won't be seeing DOTM. You're right. It does have a higher demographic. Most people who'll see it don't care at all about Transformers. They'll only saw it for robot violence and the Sam/Carly love story. They will surely see this no matter how good or crappy it is.

I thought TF Prime had better action sequences. And I really could care less about human love relationships in a Transformers story. I'm seeing "Transformers" not "Humans". The love relationships I want are robot ones. People can cringe all they want, but I want to see two love relationships in TF Prime:

Optimus Prime/ Elita One
    Cliffjumper/ Arcee

Actually I want Optimus' and Elita's relationship to take center stage. Something's got to lighten Prime up somehow. Cringe all you want, but personally, I wouldn't mind seeing Optimus and Elita making out like Jake and Neytiri did in "Avatar". Ok, it's a kids' cartoon (for now) so it can't be that explicit (yet).

14. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    I very much doubt anything could harm DotM at this point. The only concievable thing would be internal troubles preventing it from being made - but that'y clearly not happened. Even if the public reception is less than ROTF due to memories of that film's critical panning, It's going to profit - and profit huge.

As for myself I'm going to support the movie. I may not buy many toys for it, but I'll see it, and get any standout figures. Transformers has gone from a nostalgic 80s memory to the forefront of modern hollywood, which is amazing, even if we irk at parts of the films.

But when it's done, I will be glad to see the back of it. It's almost too much being the star franchise, and I'd be happy to get back to a more subdued franchise, albeit one with a heck of an influence now. The movies did their job, now it's time to say goodbye and get back on track - and I'm very happy indeed that Prime (or this level of quality) seems to be the future. :D 

15. GAUGE

GAUGE In Art, Nothing Is Impossible.

News Credits:
    Neither one will hurt the other.

I have to admit though. I can't wait for the bayverse to be over and done with.

Finally robots will go back to looking like somewhat normal robots again.

16. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    No, Hell ROTF hurted Animated.

Atleast Transformers Prime is almost Movie styled to begin with i think were going to be just fine.

17. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    Off topic, i know, but I wanted to chime in on this. I'm fully in favour of romance in the show. (As you may be able to tell... lol) But I want it handled with maturity , or none at all. No "making out" (or at least how I understand the term - more juvenile and immature than anything else). A kiss is a kiss, and I don't mind a kiss if it's treated with respect. Love not sex, you know? (I know they wouldn't go that far, or even if bots can actually... anyway.) But I'd want the writers to be mature, and even think about the messages it sends to the audience (who will mainly be teenagers, I think. That's who it's aimed at anyway...)

Anyway. Ontopic is back thataway ----> :D 

18. Pauly T

Pauly T Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Prime hurt DTOM? Please. If there's any conflict at all, Hasbro will just kill Prime Animated-style.

19. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    No. Actually, it will probably have the oppostie effect

20. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movies Fan/Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    i Dont Think so